138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Note to self: do not allow 11 year old son read this thread....he already thinks 3 or 4 showers a week is child abuse 🤣🤣
My experience of boys is once they hit the teenage years, you can’t get them out of the bathroom. 😂

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Not saying how often but Stinky Minky is mild compared to us at times! :LOL:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
I'm not boasting but since badly breaking my leg in May I have not been able to get upstairs to shower or bath. By using industrial size wet wipes ( used in hospitals ) I have been able to stay fresh and clean - although I haven't had many visitors 😅
GWS!
I’ve only had to have one leg in a cast & that was the lower section only but that had a bit of a whiff towards the 5th of 7 weeks! 😳

Aug 25, 2016
Taynuilt, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer 655 Starline
Exp
Village idiot
Wire brush and dettol. Keeps the germs 🦠 away and stink at bay 💩😷

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Did you not know that we were only expected fo last 48 hours? Best to make the most of it IMV!
I was told at one point (1967 Bergen Hohne) that the 20 minutes we could last would be long enough for the married families to get going towards Calais..
No wonder we drank a lot back then.
Mitch.

John Barrett

Free Member
Jan 19, 2020
Hamble, Southampton.
Funster No
MH
One Eyed in Hamble!
Exp
Since 2012
I was told at one point (1967 Bergen Hohne) that the 20 minutes we could last would be long enough for the married families to get going towards Calais..
No wonder we drank a lot back then.
Mitch.
Did we drink a lot? I can't remember...

Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
Since going semi full time I shower daily at uni. They have loads of free to use showers for students or staff that cycle / run in. I get the train but no-one needs to know that and nobody would stop me anyway. Never seen anyone else use them. It's great.

At the weekend I've been making do with a pan of warm water in the washing up bowl and a flannel. That's despite having built a shower under my seat and buying a USB shower.

Only used my van shower once, when I was away walking in The Brecon Beacons. It works really well. But showering at uni is easy and saves my gas and water.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
My paternal Grandparents didn't have a bathroom when I was a wee 'un. As a baby I was washed in the kitchen sink (the only sink in the house and cold water tap only, the hot water was heated by pan on a gas ring - yuck thinking about it now) and the tin bath came out once a week for the females and small boys. The men and older boys used the bath house at the colliery. Sponge baths were administered morning and night at the sink.

The soap was sliced off a huge bar of soap that was used for all cleaning - people and household and laundry. I remember the green and white mottled colour of the soap. It's possible that the soap was home made (lye and animal fat base). Where the green colour came from I don't know. I have made soap myself (lye and fats and oils) so know that adding plants before the soap was cured would mean it would be brown and not green - but then maybe the soap was remelted and herbs / juice added after a few months of curing. Grandma knew a lot about herbs. It's even possible she wrapped the soap in greenery and the colour transferred.

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
My paternal Grandparents didn't have a bathroom when I was a wee 'un. As a baby I was washed in the kitchen sink (the only sink in the house and cold water tap only, the hot water was heated by pan on a gas ring - yuck thinking about it now) and the tin bath came out once a week for the females and small boys. The men and older boys used the bath house at the colliery. Sponge baths were administered morning and night at the sink.

The soap was sliced off a huge bar of soap that was used for all cleaning - people and household and laundry. I remember the green and white mottled colour of the soap. It's possible that the soap was home made (lye and animal fat base). Where the green colour came from I don't know. I have made soap myself (lye and fats and oils) so know that adding plants before the soap was cured would mean it would be brown and not green - but then maybe the soap was remelted and herbs / juice added after a few months of curing. Grandma knew a lot about herbs. It's even possible she wrapped the soap in greenery and the colour transferred.

9 of us in our house. Tin bath in front of the fire on a Sunday…….water always tasted strange by the time it was my turn. 🤷‍♂️ ;)

1969 before I had bath in a proper bath. Mid 70’s before I sampled the delights of a shower. :giggle:

John Barrett

Free Member
Jan 19, 2020
Hamble, Southampton.
Funster No
MH
One Eyed in Hamble!
Exp
Since 2012
9 of us in our house. Tin bath in front of the fire on a Sunday…….water always tasted strange by the time it was my turn. 🤷‍♂️ ;)

1969 before I had bath in a proper bath. Mid 70’s before I sampled the delights of a shower. :giggle:
Gas fired copper boiler on the floor of the kitchen. My dad worked the semi-rotary pump which took the hot water up to the bathroom!

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
My Mum had a shower put over the bath when in the 1960s. It was quite a novelty and lots of people came to have a look at it - Mum was so proud of that shower bath as it was then called.

I loved being able to shower whenever I wanted :)

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
Whats this shower lark,
never shower at home

its an hours bath every morning.
and im not an old wrinkly

busbuddy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2018
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
swift suntor 630G
Exp
since 1994

Washed, standing up in the kitchen sink......it would be classed as child cruelty nowadays 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back