How long should it take to charge my leisure battery? (1 Viewer)

L

LVK

Deleted User
Hi,
I was just wondering how long it should take to charge my leisure battery when plugged into mains? Also, assuming one person watching a DVD each evening and usual light use of lights etc. How long will my leisure battery last before it needs charging roughly?

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Hi,
I was just wondering how long it should take to charge my leisure battery when plugged into mains? Also, assuming one person watching a DVD each evening and usual light use of lights etc. How long will my leisure battery last before it needs charging roughly?

How big is your leisure battery ?
How much current does your charger out put ?
Mine is 85Ah and 15A so worst case would be 85/15=5.6 hours but add 25% for inefficiencies = 7 hours.

You really should never discharge a battery that far, so a guess on my figures would be 5 hours.

Same calculations for "lights", just what lights are you using ?

Your "DVD" is it modern LCD all in one or old CRT with separate player ?

Upvote 0

Tony Lee

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Funster No
Batteries can be thought of in much the same way as water tanks. So as hilldweller has pointed out, you question is similar to "how long will it take to fill up my water tank and how long will it last me".

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Hi,

This answer (to a different post) may be of some help.

"We had to have our batteries replaced in early December - one had failed. So we replaced 2 x 80 Ah Gels with 2 x 110 Ah Elecsol - wired in parallel. We have not tested to exhaustion, but as an example, at the beginning of Feb we were able to go for 3 nights in sub-zero conditions with snow on Sunday afternoon/night, without re-charging. We ran the usual lights / cooker extractor / water pump etc and watched DVDs on a laptop plus powered speakers for about 3 hours each night via a 150W inverter. (I guess that is about the same as running a sat TV system.) And the Truma C6002 was on continuously from arrival to departure, although turned down to 2 overnight and 1 during the day whilst we were out walking. There was still some power left in the batteries after this."

To answer your specific question, how long it takes to re-charge your battery(ies) on hook-up depends on the output from your charger and the amount of AmpHours of battery to be re-charged. So, in my case, max 220 Ah of capacity divided by 18 Amp max charging current = 12.2 hours. But as already pointed out:
1. don't discharge the batteries completely.
2. there will be some inefficiency in re-charging, therefore extending the time required.

As a fair 'rule of thumb' allow 24 hours to fully recharge your batteries (assuming there is a decent charger fitted in the MH).

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back