How long out of the country ... ? (1 Viewer)

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
Has anyone come across a supposed law saying if you are touring a country in the EU, in your UK-reg.mh for more than 6 months you have to register your mh in that country???

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
I think it's if you are in one country rather than touring through various ones. If you're touring say Spain and its more than 6 months, then I think its tight but there'll be more informed Funsters along soon.
Edit: probably misread what you meant.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
It is not a supposed law it is reality. If a vehicle is resident in a country for more than 183 days it is supposed to be re-registered in that country. Up to now this has not been enforced with people who clearly do not intend to become permanent residents but with Brexit coming and countries looking to improve their own finances we could find more enforcement.

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
It is the law, but it’s unenforceable with regard to motorhomes if you are uk registered and don’t live in another eu country.
The law is intended to prevent ex pats living abroad and keeping their country of origin cars in the country where they’re living, and evading or avoiding that countries relevant rules. It’s a limit of 6 months in any one eu country in a 12 month period.
Local plod do clamp down on obvious offenders especially in Spain. It’s clear to them when they see the same car in the same area year on year, and parked outside the villa! These cars have no U.K. mot or tax and dubious insurance

However, for a motorhomer, living in the U.K. with no border controls between schengen countries within Europe, there’s no way to know where you have been or for how long, unless they looked really really hard, which they won’t. The only formal record is in and out of the U.K.

So, in a nutshell, safely ignored with regard to ‘normal’ motorhome travellers.

Don’t worry about it, coz it won’t be an issue.

How do I know??? I lived there and did things properly, but now tour full time.

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
It is the law, but it’s unenforceable with regard to motorhomes if you are uk registered and don’t live in another eu country.
The law is intended to prevent ex pats living abroad and keeping their country of origin cars in the country where they’re living, and evading or avoiding that countries relevant rules. It’s a limit of 6 months in any one eu country in a 12 month period.
Local plod do clamp down on obvious offenders especially in Spain. It’s clear to them when they see the same car in the same area year on year, and parked outside the villa! These cars have no U.K. mot or tax and dubious insurance

However, for a motorhomer, living in the U.K. with no border controls between schengen countries within Europe, there’s no way to know where you have been or for how long, unless they looked really really hard, which they won’t. The only formal record is in and out of the U.K.

So, in a nutshell, safely ignored with regard to ‘normal’ motorhome travellers.

Don’t worry about it, coz it won’t be an issue.

How do I know??? I lived there and did things properly, but now tour full time.

I know that was the way it was but things are changing now, and the fines can be eye watering, though in most cases I have heard of they person was given 24 hours to get out of the country with a slightly lighter pocket. Here in Portugal the GNR are going round campsites checking plates so just be careful

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
I know that was the way it was but things are changing now, and the fines can be eye watering, though in most cases I have heard of they person was given 24 hours to get out of the country with a slightly lighter pocket. Here in Portugal the GNR are going round campsites checking plates so just be careful
i wondered what happened to the great northern railway

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994

GNR checking plates for what reason?
Guardia Civil would have a field day if they did the same in Benidorm, there again, perhaps they do. How many Campsites register their guests with the Police Local, answer All of them.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
GNR checking plates for what reason?
Guardia Civil would have a field day if they did the same in Benidorm, there again, perhaps they do. How many Campsites register their guests with the Police Local, answer All of them.
My friend who has a yacht in Palma, says the local Fuzz is s**t hot on Brit cars, and yet the one he keeps UK registered in Barcelona at his mooring there no one even notices.

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
My friend who has a yacht in Palma, says the local Fuzz is s**t hot on Brit cars, and yet the one he keeps UK registered in Barcelona at his mooring there no one even notices.

Well until now....:LOL:

Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
Slightly off topic but same subject.
We have decided to make our Portuguese home permanent and are currently in the process of selling the French house.Our car is a Skoda Yeti 2 ltr diesel first registered in France in October 2016.
We went to see an agent in Portugal and the total cost to reregister it here would be £9,800 yikes,the Portuguese are adding all kinds of taxes,outside of EU rules and have been doing for some time,the government conced they make so much from this,the fines imposed for the breach of EU rules makes it worth doing.
The GNR are actively stopping foreign vehicles they recognise locally here for a long time.
A friend started the process with his U.K. car here and when told the price didn’t continue the process.
He had a visit from customs in Setúbal at his home here in Alentejo and his car was impounded at his address,in reality he couldn’t use it and was told the cost would be €16,000! To put things right.
This is fact folks,we have just reluctantly bought a Portuguese car and selling our Skoda at a big loss.
To me it just means a lot of expense to keep within the PT rules??

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Slightly off topic but same subject.
We have decided to make our Portuguese home permanent and are currently in the process of selling the French house.Our car is a Skoda Yeti 2 ltr diesel first registered in France in October 2016.
We went to see an agent in Portugal and the total cost to reregister it here would be £9,800 yikes,the Portuguese are adding all kinds of taxes,outside of EU rules and have been doing for some time,the government conced they make so much from this,the fines imposed for the breach of EU rules makes it worth doing.
The GNR are actively stopping foreign vehicles they recognise locally here for a long time.
A friend started the process with his U.K. car here and when told the price didn’t continue the process.
He had a visit from customs in Setúbal at his home here in Alentejo and his car was impounded at his address,in reality he couldn’t use it and was told the cost would be €16,000! To put things right.
This is fact folks,we have just reluctantly bought a Portuguese car and selling our Skoda at a big loss.
To me it just means a lot of expense to keep within the PT rules??

Nice to come up with the facts, thanks....fancy a Yeti myself, if the right one at the right price came along.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
he Portuguese are adding all kinds of taxes,outside of EU rules and have been doing for some time,the government conced they make so much from this,the fines imposed for the breach of EU rules makes it worth doing.

Just another example of WHY Brexit is Necessary. Like the French and Spanish fishing with undersize nets up to the beach, or Dumping Milk on the UK. We are the ONLY silly Bu**ers to take any notice of the "Rules".

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Has anyone come across a supposed law saying if you are touring a country in the EU, in your UK-reg.mh for more than 6 months you have to register your mh in that country???
Yes.
You are also not compliant in the UK as over 90 days you are expected to de -register for healthcare & various other stuff.
No only if you become RESIDENT then you have to re register and apply for residency

You , the person, automatically become resident after 90 consecutive days in one EU state, even without registering. In many countries ,including the UK , there is no actual requirement to physically register & one of the reasons that the UK finds itself in the position it now is.
It is a quirk of EU law designed to confirm the fact that " No state can confer residency on a citizen but the citizen confirms that they are a resident" .
The 'automatic after 90 days' was to assist the citizen & prevent people from being illegally asked to leave.

The vehicle then becomes illegal as a foreign resident cannot drive a foreign registered vehicle, which the UK one would then become.

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
People are getting confused.

There are 2 separate but overlapping provisions.

One of with regard to assumed fiscal domicile... That is to do with where YOU are and for how long.
That's the "183 days" rule.... Which is actually only a guideline, S the text of fiscal domicile actually depends on a variety of factors, some of which vary by country due to their domestic tax regulations. That has nothing whatever to do with where your motorhome is located.

The second is an EU wide Directive, providing for a reciprocal right across all EU Member states for vehicles legal in one member state to temporarily "guest" in another member state. That Directive sets the maximum time (with just a few exceptions, such as cross border workers) of "6 months in any year" for a visiting guest vehicle to be present in any other specific member state.

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
My understanding from previous posts is that, in Spain for example, if you stay in the country for more than 90 days then you are a resident and are not allowed to drive a foreign-registered vehicle ie your motorhome! If you cross the border into Portugal for instance or fly home and back before the 90 days are up this resets your clock and you can return to Spain and stay up to 183 days in total in one year. I think this differs in different countries and is different for vehicles which I believe can be up to a year if you know how to play the system :)

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Why would anyone want to leave our great country for longer than 6 months! :D

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
Imported a 2014 Renault PVC for less than a thousand,that included going to the Brtish Embassy Lisbon, for less than a thousand,at the moment,pricing LHD headlights for our 2017 Ducato PVC with the idea of importing it,should work out about £3.000. will keep you informed.
Yes,Portugal is cracking down on Brit cars and it is heading north from the Algarve. Mind you,some here have NO M.O.T.Some SORN'd and "IF" they have insurance,some of these "Certificates"?? Expire once you hit or are hit by something,they are a paper excersise only.
Tea Bag

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
For anybody else reading this thread that is feeling forced to sell their Skoda Yeti or similar for a shockingly low price. I am available to come out and fleece you slightly less than the europeans

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Could move to France and tiptoe around dog mess all day i suppose :)
That’s OK.

I’m used to it in South Wales, and I do pick up after mine.

(Moral

Never wear open toed sandals without socks).:):eek:

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I wonder if authorities in any country audit the days trucks stay cumulatively in any one country? Some E.European trucks come regularly to UK and some 'tramp' within the UK, so could 'overstay' the number of days in a year.

What is a 'day' for a vehicle? Is it each full 24 hours, or is it present at midnight. as it is for personal tax purposes?

Of course, between Schengen countries there is no record.

Geoff

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
We went to see an agent in Portugal and the total cost to reregister it here would be £9,800 yikes,the Portuguese are adding all kinds of taxes,outside of EU rules and have
Hi.
Please re check this,all the leg work for the first vehicle was done hand in hand with the S.I.L.who had already gone through the hoops.
You are allowed to Import ONE vehicle if you are a resident at preferential rates,a sort of one off. Having done this with the Renault,i now have to pay the full"Import? Tax" for this one (How very Portugues (n):ROFLMAO:) Some people believe that this is not in the spirit of EU togetherness,but,it is alledged:whistle: that p/gal pays a small fine,having worked out that this is less than they gather in? no doubt. Cannot fault them there......."Every little helps:ROFLMAO:"
So please re check,it can be done by yourselves,if you can speak "Ave vou cuppa ?" or even French,you may be able to do it,a lot of the p/gues speak French,even hiring a translator would be cheaper. Best of luck.
Tea Bag
PS. There is a time limit between bringing it in to Matriculation/MOT. CHECK THIS.it is very important

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting

Yes but unfortunately your link is negated by this one: 90 days consecutively & you are resident.
https://europa.eu/youreurope/citize...ormalities/registering-residence/index_en.htm

As I have said before when they wrote all this tat no one gave a thought to how they would interact & so many contradict each other.

I wonder if authorities in any country audit the days trucks stay cumulatively in any one country? Some E.European trucks come regularly to UK and some 'tramp' within the UK, so could 'overstay' the number of days in a year.

What is a 'day' for a vehicle? Is it each full 24 hours, or is it present at midnight. as it is for personal tax purposes?

Of course, between Schengen countries there is no record.

Geoff

Classed as "professional " & has a completely different set of rules. I.e. A national ,or registered foreign resident, is allowed to drive a vehicle which is registered by their firm in another state.
hire car employee's also come under the terms for cross border vehicle returns.

Hi.
Please re check this,all the leg work for the first vehicle was done hand in hand with the S.I.L.who had already gone through the hoops.
You are allowed to Import ONE vehicle if you are a resident at preferential rates,a sort of one off. Having done this with the Renault,i now have to pay the full"Import? Tax" for this one (How very Portugues (n):ROFLMAO:) Some people believe that this is not in the spirit of EU togetherness,but,it is alledged:whistle: that p/gal pays a small fine,having worked out that this is less than they gather in? no doubt. Cannot fault them there......."Every little helps:ROFLMAO:"
So please re check,it can be done by yourselves,if you can speak "Ave vou cuppa ?" or even French,you may be able to do it,a lot of the p/gues speak French,even hiring a translator would be cheaper. Best of luck.
Tea Bag
PS. There is a time limit between bringing it in to Matriculation/MOT. CHECK THIS.it is very important

No it is the same all over. As long as you do it all within the first 30days, normally, of registering as a resident then all comes under free import as part of "goods & chattels" .
Here if you have ever been registered on the 'padron' ( similar to the electoral roll) then that will also discount a free import , regardless of whether you were registered as a resident ( I think it is because you aren't meant to be on the padron unless a resident )
Anything I have imported since residency , cars,vans or trailers , has always been done exactly the same as if I was a dealer. 4,1% of the government yearly vehicle value .
& Yes here the government provides a value for all & every vehicle ever sold in the country ,along with its depreciation factor & also for all & any boats. The one good thing about it is if you have a write -off the insurer cannot offer a figure below the amount(y) Even though on the open market the price may be lower.:))

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back