How long on battery? (1 Viewer)

Aug 25, 2020
Northamptonshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
Hello, I am new to this so bear with me. Bought a Chausson motorhome recently and had our first weekend away plugged into mains conextion, no problems. Last week were away for few days on grass pitch no mains. First night was cold so turned on heating. (Gas powered blown air system) after only about 90 minutes everything shut down and battery monitor said flat. My question is, how long would be normal for the battery to last in these circumstances? Do you think my battery has had it and needs replacing.
Also, is it poss to connect two batteries together easily to give me longer usage.
any advice would be gratefully received.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Yes you can connect 2 batteries together in parallel quite easily, 2 x12 v ,.for your existing battery you really need to charge it up and then check it with a multimeter when it's been on for a short time..your existing battery doesn't sound too good if only run for 90 mins on a fan blower ,but depends what else you have on,lights,TV etc.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
90 minutes sounds like either the battery wasn't fully charged or its seen its best.
Connecting a pair of batteries is easy.
Keep them as close as possible and connect positive on one to positive on the other.... Same for negative.
Use a heavy cable to reduce volt drop and fit a fuse in the positive cable.
Don't connect a new battery to your old one as that will reduce the overall capacity and possibly damage the new one.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 26, 2012
Funster No
MH
coach
Exp
Motorhome since 2006 (caravanning 38yrs)
Need to ask lots of questions but I'll start with two.
What size battery do you have?
What did you have switched on?

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I think you're right. I'm sure you would've started with a fully charged battery (?).
Best to replace it with a new one and see how you get on with that. Now is a good time to test because the drain is higher (lights, TV, heating, ...). One may be enough (and save on payload). If not, it's easy to double-up (with an identical one).
The time to drain a battery is as long as a piece of string and depends on the battery's capacity.
The capacity will deteriorate quickly if maltreated (eg left in a low state of charge).
Measuring the voltage will indicate the state of charge, but is not that accurate.
As above, there are many questions to ask and answer to be particularly helpful...

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Assuming it's a used vehicle you can never be sure how the battery has been treated. Dealers I think just leave originals and don't make any effort to change unless the buyer complains.
If you did buy off a dealer put a claim in and see how it goes.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Worst case scenario, your heating fan may draw 10amps per hour so 15amps....in reality a lot less as the fan slows as the heating reaches temperature. One light would be maybe 1 to 2amps hour max.
1½hr total 18amps.....a lot less than the usable 50amps from a 100amp battery

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
That should read 100 amp hour!
Thanks for the clarification.
Computers are supposed to help us, yet we had to dump imperial measure for them
and now we have to fight the **** auto-correct!

100Ah is a good capacity (when new) and should cope with normal demand for a couple of days (depends on the demand). 100Ah is 50Ah max in practice (5A for 10hours, 2.5A for 20hours...)

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
If up to scratch and not watching TV for more than 3 or 4 hours a night about 3 days max, if with a 120w solar panel about 4 and a half days subject to light! Get the battery checked and if need be replaced

Bonkers the Dog

Free Member
Nov 9, 2018
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
2 yrs
Yup, claim on the dealers account. If your usage is minimal and your battery is draining then you've probably had their best. I bought a van off a dealer and the batteries were knackered. I got two new batteries delivered to me from them and they can go on indefinitely with the solar charger and economic use. However I find I can only really do two days off grid as the jobby box is the limiting factor! 2 adults and 2 children produce a lot of sh...…!

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
Probable duff battery but beware of the fan on the blown heater. How old is it? Does it make a high pitch whine?
My 1999 one was developing a fault on my old system and pulled more amps as the fan was for want of a better description dragging as the bearings were worn. It pulled the extra juice from the system and in turn emptied the battery a lot faster. Otherwise three nights with some heating, bit of TV, charging phones and water pump usage was achieved before I added solar .

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Are you sure you have a gas heater most Chausson have a diesel heater and it will sound from outside particularly a bit like a small jet engine!. They use quite a bit of battery especially starting up.

Boris7

Banned
Jan 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
1 year
Where about s are you?

Boris7

Banned
Jan 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
1 year
Then your a very lucky boy, I’m in nether heyford and I’ve got a supply of batteries free

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back