How long is a piece of string..... (1 Viewer)

DFMan

Free Member
Jun 26, 2018
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Toyota Dyna
Exp
Hi all,

I know this depends on use but I would very much like to know how long a full an 11kg and a 6kg would last on average. We will have five people travelling for 2 weeks. We will probably not cook but will have showers and a cuppa three times a day. Will the two bottles last?

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
I seem to remember there was another thread on this and I think @Techno posted up some real life figures on it (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I read today someone had done 5 weeks on 6kg (y)

A lot depends on when you are going as well

we have refillables, 2 x 11kg and have done three weeks regularly in Feb / March in France, changed bottles but not run out or refilled

that includes a lot of cooking and heating as France is pretty much closed in February

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Hi all,

I know this depends on use but I would very much like to know how long a full an 11kg and a 6kg would last on average. We will have five people travelling for 2 weeks. We will probably not cook but will have showers and a cuppa three times a day. Will the two bottles last?

It depends on many factors including the time of year. During warm weather, you will probably prefer cold or cool water for showers so will use less gas. In the winter you'll want hot water.

You'll run out of water long before gas so if you stop at campsites to fill up, you'll save some gas if you use their showers rather that your own.

Flannel washes are one alternative to showers. We heat our water in a kettle for this as we only need to warm up a litre or two of water rather than the whole heating matrix of our water heater.

I would estimate that heating water for flannel washes and the occasional shower would leave you with enough gas for boiling the kettle for tea.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Does it really matter how long ?

You don't say where you will be touring.. but I assume the UK.. in that case Calor is sold in nearly every town and village.. in corner shops, garages, garden centres etc.. use the 11kg as the main tank, and the 6kg as a reserve.. when the 11kg is empty, replace as soon as possible..

https://www.calor.co.uk/find-a-stockist

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I think I would be more interested in the vehicle weight. 5 folk plus clothes over a 2wk period all add up.
Hope you have a nice time wherever you go.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Will you be running your fridge on gas? My fridge uses more than I expected in hot weather. In 1 week of hot weather I used 9 kg of gas when off grid, including fridge, kettle, some hot water and cooking (2 people), we had access to somewhere else to shower.

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
We've just done 4 weeks , just 2 of us , we do all our own cooking ( don't eat out) , hot water & fridge , use our own shower, had 2 nights on ehu , at aires . Used just under 1 x 6kg & 1x 9kg. If that helps.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
If you stop on sites you will hardly use any gas..

The EHU will power the fridge and you can use site showers .. which will be a lot easier than heating enough hot water plus fetching and carrying it every day for five showers.. each shower will use at least 10L .. if you have a partner with long hair.. or who likes long showers.. double that at least.

and as you are eating out, that just leaves making cups off tea .. so take a low wattage 240v kettle .. but even if you run out of gas you can go to McDees , they make great tea and coffee ;)

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
11kg should last a couple of weeks. Use the 11kg first and keep the 6kg in reserve. If the first runs out after, say, ten days, you'll have five remaining to obtain a refill.

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
As an exercise in what some would call stupidity I have just refilled my 2 x 11kg Gaslow cylinders. I last filled them in early March in Warwickshire. Weather fairly cold and wet. Couple of days wild then site for 4 days and 3 more wild. Rest of March and most of April total of 6 nights wild. End of April cross to France and meander to Croatia. First 6 nights wild. Then 12 nights on sites followed by 4 nights wild. Then total of 38 nights on sites but 5 of these without EHU. Then 4 nights wild. Refilled back in Northants total of 23 litres. Gauge on 1 cylinder appeared accurate but suspect second a little low.
Al cooking on gas, mostly bbq, no heating since 26th April but quite a bit before, fair bit of hot water. Eat out maybe every 4th or 5th day and to be honest did not go out of our way to economise. Should say there 2 of us.
This is my experience and obviously we are all different but perhaps this might be a guide.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
How long is a piece of string.....

Four footsies and three inches.... (y)

Nov 28, 2007
Funster No
Over the past 14 years we have used a 11kg refillable and a 6kg calor, we try not to use the calor because of the cost but find we have to refill the 11kg after 17 days on average. There are two of us and that's cooking, fridge and hot water.

OP
OP
DFMan

DFMan

Free Member
Jun 26, 2018
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Toyota Dyna
Exp
Thanks for all the replies. I should have made the plans a little more explicit. I am a complete newbie with the MoHo lark. We are travelling to France, Belgium and the Netherlands. Travelling from Dover to Calais. Calais to Ghent/Brussels, then Almere/Amsterdam then Paris/Euro Disney (About 14 days in all). We have travelled in Europe before but never in Campers or Motorhomes. I am quite attracted to the Aires idea but it could be a step too far for my gang if I can't be certain of availability. The only constraint is that we have to in Almere on a certain date but other than that nothing and I mean NOTHING is fixed. (Actually, any suggestions as to where to go and what to do would be very welcomed - the three children who will be travelling are 16, 15 and 13)

If we use campsites then I think we will be okay with a 11Kg and a 6kg but the stingy side of me really want to try the Aires. I did look at Refillable but my nearest installer Rhinos is all booked up until August.

@irnbru Agreed. I am going to load it up and weigh it first.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back