how long is a piece of string

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by pops, Apr 24, 2016.

1. pops

pops Funster

Ratings:
    +511
    Ok story so far, We were 6 days into our 3+ month tour of Scotland when are Combi 4E packed in giving heat on the low setting. Gas is ok, but high setting we are only getting low heat. I suspect that a element has gone. We have a fan heater to help out in very cold weather and have bought another one as a backup. The van is just over three years old and I reckon that the heater has been on for roughly 3,000 hours in that time. So ladies and gents the question is do you think this is good or would you expect a longer life. Hence the title How long is a piece of string.
    We are still on our travels and we are ready for anything the weather is going to throw at us.

2. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +28,332
    Sorry.. I don't have a piece of string to measure.. .. our Truma boiler is gas only ..

I guess that makes mine 0.0 cm :D

• Like it Like it x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +23,152
    The length of a piece of string is an equation with a variable answer.........your boiler is a piece of string.

Anything electrical or mechanical can fail at any time.....and without warning.

• Like it Like it x 1
  4. Gellyneck

Gellyneck Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +3,924
    I could be wrong (probably!) but Truma may give a three warranty on the 4E and might give some "goodwill" if it's just over three years old? Might be worth a call to them?

• Like it Like it x 2
  5. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Ratings:
    +12,951
    At 3000 hours sounds like well past it's sell by date, I've seen reports on the web of the heating elements only lasting about 18 months of normal use. They work better on gas anyway and a lot cheaper to run.

• Like it Like it x 2
  6. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

Ratings:
    +9,894
    Is the string lying down or standing up ?
    It's not clear wheather you want the Length or the Height:D

• Funny Funny x 5
  7. GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY Funster

Ratings:
    +2,865
    The electric part is only 1800 watts if I am right and that will not give a lot of heat, start up on gas get the temperature up then keep it going on electric hook up. Was it any different before???? Cold weather show all the deficiencies in the vehicle insulation and it takes a load more heat to keep it warm more than the electric coil can give.

• Like it Like it x 1
  8. jetlag03

jetlag03 Funster

Ratings:
    +463
    All string no matter what length is exactly twice half its length

• Funny Funny x 5
  9. Vanderek

Vanderek Funster

Ratings:
    +685
    Knot sure what you mean (y)

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like it Like it x 1
  10. chaser

chaser Funster

Ratings:
    +14,287
    Another of those threads where someone asks for help and never returns:( this gets me far more uptight than any snipeing or abuse.

11. Alistair33

Alistair33 Funster

Ratings:
    +3,996
    It's a question of etiquette I'm always cautious of jumping back in to soon and not allowing enough time to get a good sample of responses before coming back, and I can see how it would be possible to forget to make a further comment!

12. chaser

chaser Funster

Ratings:
    +14,287
    Yeah but this thread is a year old, surely he could have remembered by now:(

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. Cleve

Cleve Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +1,972
    I don't know, I go to do/fetch/look on eBay and by the time I get to it (sometimes seconds later) I can't think what the hell I am there for. Retracing my steps does not always work. Thank goodness I am retired, I'll be able to push in at the post office soon, if I can remember why I went there!:imoutahere:

• Like it Like it x 1
  14. Stretto Boy

Stretto Boy Funster

Ratings:
    +2,947
    String may be measured in several ways:

1. If it is extremely long (say several trillion kilometres) then take it to a large (clearly enormous) darkened room. Shine a torch from one end to the other, with the aid of an assistant who times how long it takes for the beam of light to reach the other end of the piece of string. Accurate measurements are essential, so an atomic clock is required. It is also important that the timekeeper has instantaneous reaction times in order to turn the clock on and off at precisely the right moment. When you know how long it has taken for the beam to traverse the string, you can calculate the length of it for we know that light travels at a constant speed of 1,079,252,848.8 kilometres per hour.

2. For much shorter pieces I recommend the use of a ruler, although method 1 can be used if extremely precise measurements are required.

3. The cheat's method is to read the measurements on the packet that the string came in.

Please note that none of the above is in any way related to what nuclear physicists term "String Theory".

I hope that this is of some assistance.

P.S. I have a Truma Combi 6E. Perhaps this is a later model than your 4 but mine works without any string being involved at all :)

• Funny Funny x 3
  15. Alistair33

Alistair33 Funster

Ratings:
    +3,996
    HHGTTG ?

16. Stretto Boy

Stretto Boy Funster

Ratings:
    +2,947
    That takes me back a bit. Very original writer was Douglas Adams.

17. GeriatricWanderer

GeriatricWanderer Funster

Ratings:
    +5,981
    All pieces of string have the same length namely from one end to the other end.

• Nice One! Nice One! x 2
    • Like it Like it x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. pops

pops Funster

Ratings:
    +511
    @chaser, I am sorry I have not replied,but as we were on tour and it is nearly one year ago I suspect we could not get internet to reply at the time. We are on the same Scottish tour as I write and have been without lnternet for seven days. The answer to the question is Truma said that 3000hrs was a good life time for the elements.
    The elements were both changed last October and all is working ok.
    Weather in the highlands is cold and windy with sunshine now and then at the moment. Thanks to all who replied.

• Like it Like it x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Nice One! Nice One! x 1