How long does the main engine battery last on a motorhome. (1 Viewer)

nigel smith

Free Member
Dec 14, 2015
leicester
Funster No
MH
auto trail imala 730
Exp
june 2016
Hi we have a new motorhome and will be parking it up for about 8 weeks we can plug it in to mains at home bit don't know if the main engine battery will go flat.We do have a strike back alarm fitted if that will drain it down?

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Probably, and quite quickly too. Lots of Minor drains on modern vehicles, Clocks, alarms, to name but 2. Motor-homes are even worse the standing drain on my Ducato is near 3amp. which is why I have Solar panels.

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
Hi we have a new motorhome and will be parking it up for about 8 weeks we can plug it in to mains at home bit don't know if the main engine battery will go flat.We do have a strike back alarm fitted if that will drain it down?
Does your engine battery charge when on hook up, if not you need a b2b charger.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
If its new... and you are plugging it in at home.. using the EHU plug.... it will probs charge both the leisure and starter battery...

It would be helpful to others if you post the make and model :)

adonisito

Free Member
Oct 8, 2016
bognor regis
Funster No
MH
Burstner Aviano 675G
Exp
10 years
It would be helpful to others if you post the make and model :)[/QUOTE]

Yes, many vans charge the leisure battery and engine battery at the same time when on EHU. Our's does.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Does your engine battery charge when on hook up, if not you need a b2b charger.
Actually, think it's a Battery Mate he needs - uses surplus power from the leisure batteries to top up the engine battery. Somewhat cheaper than a B2B - Jim has them for sale.
More likely, though, that as it's a new van the control panel will look after it - check the handbook.
Mind you, nothing wrong with a B2B charger, ours has been very useful, along with battery mate and, most importantly, solar panel.

teensvan99

Free Member
May 17, 2015
Margate
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
120 watt solar panel does the trick. Parked up for long times over winter and never had flat battery in 10 years.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
From the OPs avatar they have an Auto trail Imala so will have dual charger so it shouldn't be a problem as long as on hook up but good advice already given is get a solar panel as well

OP
OP
nigel smith

nigel smith

Free Member
Dec 14, 2015
leicester
Funster No
MH
auto trail imala 730
Exp
june 2016
Thanks for everyones advise it is an autotrail imala 730.

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
The Autotrail you have should have a Sargeant 500 which charges whichever battery needs it. Very clever bit of kit, we have it on ours.
Never a problem. BUT! the 500 is already wired up to take a 100 watt solar panel, so I would suggest you do that AND get a new slot cut into the floor where the existing leasure battery is, so that you can fit a second one. The wiring is already there for that too ! ! !
Good luck.
Mitch.

Norfolk Red

Free Member
Nov 18, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Chieftan
Exp
2 Years
Well I will throw this to learned people of this forum, we have a 2010 Auto Trail Chieftan, when this is on hook up will it charge the main battery ? The only reason for asking is when we went to go away in it last w/end the battery was flat.
Had to call the RAC out, he got it started and apparently the live terminal was loose, but paranoid now that if we leave it to long between starts it will let us down again.
Incidentally I am not sure what kind of alarm we have but, it flashes a blue light that looks like lightening :LOL:, and wondered if this is pulling the battery down. As you can probably tell, electrics are not my strong point lol.

Mark.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi Mark

By "main battery" you mean the starter battery, on the leisure side this would be seen as the secondary battery, I do not know your motorhome intimately enough to say wether or not the system will charge the starter battery (my guess would be yes) but you should have a panel that tells voltage of the leisure and starter battery, if the starter battery is over 13 volts after being switched off for more than 30 minutes then yes it is being charged.

If you don't have an accurate read out on your control panel you could stick one of these in your cigarette lighter assuming its live all the time.

61p3UagRiCL._SX522_.jpg

It also has a USB socket, i guess you might get one in Halfords or the like otherwise loads on the inter web thingy.

Martin

Last edited:

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
That is ridiculous, how can they waste 36W on standby ?

OK. So observing your quote. I have just been outside and with 1 (LED) light on (because it`s dark in the van) the drain at this time is exactly -2amp showing on the monitor.? (which indicates the Chassis and Habitation batteries) The Heater and fridge are OFF, the water being drained down, and no other lights are in use?. So? what else accounts for it?. I am however also assuming the monitor is not defective?. Sometime when I have the inclination I might put my AVO on the 10amp setting in the circuit and see just how accurate it is.

cronkle

Free Member
Apr 18, 2008
shropshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since1995
As you have a strikeback alarm VanBitz may be able to see from their records which charging system you have fitted as they offer a free battery master when the alarm is installed.

May 16, 2016
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since May 2016 - very much newbies
As you have a strikeback alarm VanBitz may be able to see from their records which charging system you have fitted as they offer a free battery master when the alarm is installed.

As good as Vanbitz are I don't think this is right. I believe they offer free installation of the Battery Master during a Strikeback fitting - the box will still cost £69.95.
I think, however, it is bundled in as part of a Solar Panel package.

cronkle

Free Member
Apr 18, 2008
shropshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since1995
As good as Vanbitz are I don't think this is right. I believe they offer free installation of the Battery Master during a Strikeback fitting - the box will still cost £69.95.
I think, however, it is bundled in as part of a Solar Panel package.
Sorry, my mistake. You are correct.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
If your cab battery is only being topped up by a solar panel the true test will be Dec-Feb, when a combination of cold, possible non-use of the vehicle, and low sunlight may conspire to flatten your batteries. That was an issue for us in storage, even with a split relay fitted between the leisure battery and the engine battery.

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
OK. So observing your quote. I have just been outside and with 1 (LED) light on (because it`s dark in the van) the drain at this time is exactly -2amp showing on the monitor.? (which indicates the Chassis and Habitation batteries) The Heater and fridge are OFF, the water being drained down, and no other lights are in use?. So? what else accounts for it?. I am however also assuming the monitor is not defective?. Sometime when I have the inclination I might put my AVO on the 10amp setting in the circuit and see just how accurate it is.
Check your wardrobe and other cupboard lights are turning off when you shut the doors, these are often not changed to LED as well!

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Peter make sure any boosters for tv areial are turned off , and also your control panel being turned on uses power.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Check your wardrobe and other cupboard lights are turning off when you shut the doors, these are often not changed to LED as well!

I am well aware and there are none on!. I took the bulbs out of the Under-bed locker and the rear locker when I first got it!. I had experience of that in the first R-V. All the lockers had 21W lamps in them!. ALL the other lighting is LED. Unless the Monitor is grossly wrong, the issue is the number of "Stealth" drains on modern vehicles!.

One day when I have time:rolleyes::rolleyes: I will get round to chasing up the drains. The power for the Aerial booster etc; is on the monitor panel (1 & 2) switches and both are off. same with pump and Vent fan.
Thanks for input and concern though.

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Hope you get to the bottom of it someday :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back