How long does it take you to set up ? (1 Viewer)

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
I know MH owners are watching if i pull up, i see them languishing in their MH`s on a rainy day looking for some out side entertainment.
If i see them looking- i --- get out a ehu lead , i know is too short --cussing to myself-- i get another one out, mix the ends up ect , getting it done in 10 mins.:thumb:
I then take 20 mins to errect my out side on a pole arieal and spin 360 to tune in---- i see them gagging on their beer looking at me-- my missus knows i`m a tourment and leaves me to it.::bigsmile:
Withx2 toddlers on board i need some outside fun, raining or not.
When i need a tripod sat dish sorted-- takes ages.
I like to fiddle:thumb:

Jan 22, 2011
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt 2 berth
Exp
Since April 2011
simple answer to that one is store the hook-up cable in the gas locker.
park up open gas locker to get hook up cable out - turn on gas bottle.
open gas locker to put hook up cable away - turn off gas bottle

Genius:thumb:. Excellent idea. It's the same side as the ehu point as well

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Estimate 5 minutes including leveling up sometimes that can take a bit longer on sloping pitches if ramps move or whatever. Like others always travel with 3/4 tank of FW or more and everything else empty to save hassle of filling up on a new site. Why some folk have to travel with empty FW beggars belief the minimal savings in fuel dont add up, nowt worse or more time consuming than having to source and fill up on arrival.

I actually find the MH is more stable when driving with plenty of water onboard.

All sorts I suppose:Blush: in which I include myself:Eeek:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Estimate 5 minutes including leveling up sometimes that can take a bit longer on sloping pitches if ramps move or whatever. Like others always travel with 3/4 tank of FW or more and everything else empty to save hassle of filling up on a new site. Why some folk have to travel with empty FW beggars belief the minimal savings in fuel dont add up, nowt worse or more time consuming than having to source and fill up on arrival.

I actually find the MH is more stable when driving with plenty of water onboard.

All sorts I suppose:Blush: in which I include myself:Eeek:

Must agree ... and you simply can't make a good cup of tea without Yorkshire water!!! ::bigsmile:

Jan 19, 2012
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Fascinating thread! We had a trailer tent when the kids were young, and had fond memories of it. So fond that when the independent travel urge came upon us again, we bought a folding camper secondhand for £1300. Brilliant condition, really well looked after, but....we hadn't remembered just what a ballache they are to set up if you use the awning, and how cramped they are without the awning.

We used it once with awning for a weekend, once without for a weekend, then looked at each other in a 'sod this' kind of way - and spent £30k on a motorhome. Have never felt the least twinge of buyer's regret, and get the added schadenfreude of watching others set their stalls out on campsites. I can still faff for England, and Mrs E can sense a <1 degree slope, but there's nothing to beat a 'home for ease of setting up.

OP
OP
gordoncbrown
Oct 2, 2011
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Brilliant. The tuggers have decided to put their awning up and it's still quite windy. Breakfast entertainment sorted....lol...:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
Parking

Drive Up with 3/4 Full FW.
Park-Towing Hook Facing Road.
Open Wine-(Pour2)

3 mins (Rest can wait till I'm ready):winky:

Roger & Sheila.

RogeTeri

Free Member
Apr 8, 2012
Abrantes, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
February 2013.
I'm sure once I am into this I will set up quickly but..........never having set up........I guess I will faff for ages! But I'm confident there will be other Funsters about to have a laugh while giving good advice!

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Watch the tuggers in the morning attempting the awning,(tenters as well) then they entertain in the afternoon. On Perranporth beach the sea can surge in 50 ft at a time. Some peolple jump up and move back 10ft. I then hang about as the next surge arrives, they move the windbreak, the surfboad, the pushchair, the crox but leave the towel and their clothes, but never mind, the wave delivers them up the beach for them. Then it happens all over again.
Wife thinks I'm cruel, I point out it will happen whether I watch or not.
Then in the evening I note the tenters that think the tiny meat-skewer is to stop the guy-rope blowing in the wind. They push it in 2" and in line with the guy rope. It is sad though the amounts of tents that blow down the field scattering the belongings during a standard Cornish hooley.

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
Some people like to take ages, ex tuggers just cant get used to stop n drink. Stop on flatest pitch, plug in EHU if there is one, not many in our case, cuppa before 5pm, wine/beer/gnt after 5 pm. Relax ! job done.

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Some people like to take ages, [HI]ex tuggers just cant get used to stop n drink.[/HI] Stop on flatest pitch, plug in EHU if there is one, not many in our case, cuppa before 5pm, wine/beer/gnt after 5 pm. Relax ! job done.

Believe me I can. Used to be tug to Cornwall, catch breath, set up awning, fetch water, hook-up, go shopping, pack away, collapse.
Last year (1st time in MH),visit friends on way down, shopping, park on road overlooking Fistral beach, walk dog, return for grub, make way to site.
Ensure bed not lower at pillow than feet, SHMBO can also detect <1 degree slope, (use tin of beans on worktop), switch off and I'm done.
I look after outside, woman inside, so where's my coffee and cake??:thumb:

Jul 17, 2009
Funster No
Tent

We had a tent about 15 years ago, packed in a smallish trailer behind the car. One year we arrived at a camp site in France, unpacked, put up tent, blow up mattresses, get out cooking things, pots and pans etc, table and chairs, took about an hour. Whilst having a pre dinner drink an older couple and their daughter arrive in a motorhome and park opposite us, he gets the table and chairs out, brings out a bottle of wine and glasses sits down and their done. Wife and I look at each other in amazement, how can it be that simple ? From that time we vowed to get a MH when we could afford it (if). Proud owners now for 5 years, don't mess about now, straight in withe cork screw ! :winky:

OP
OP
gordoncbrown
Oct 2, 2011
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Some people like to take ages, ex tuggers just cant get used to stop n drink. Stop on flatest pitch, plug in EHU if there is one, not many in our case, cuppa before 5pm, wine/beer/gnt after 5 pm. Relax ! job done.

I am an ex tugger but I had had enough of the faffing. Caravan and awning was great when the kids came with us. Just the two of us and two dogs. :thumb:

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
I know MH owners are watching if i pull up, i see them languishing in their MH`s on a rainy day looking for some out side entertainment.
If i see them looking- i --- get out a ehu lead , i know is too short --cussing to myself-- i get another one out, mix the ends up ect , getting it done in 10 mins.:thumb:
I then take 20 mins to errect my out side on a pole arieal and spin 360 to tune in---- i see them gagging on their beer looking at me-- my missus knows i`m a tourment and leaves me to it.::bigsmile:
Withx2 toddlers on board i need some outside fun, raining or not.
When i need a tripod sat dish sorted-- takes ages.
I like to fiddle:thumb:

Great sense of humour,good luck to ya.:thumb:

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
Turned up on site Friday,glanced at post level on worktop.Got out and positioned levellers drove on,checked level and turned off ignition.I was a little upset to have to get the 25m hook up lead out as opposed to the 10m .Gas on ,job done. I wont deny the fact that i probably ponced about for an age on our 1st outing and would challenge anyone who said any different.I have been quite suprised as to how many newbies there have been at destinations we have been lately.Some people love to potter around and i am one of them, cant sit still until i start on the ale.

Just to add to this.We went for a walk yesterday and it ended up as one of those liquid lunches with a few solids.Returned to the site to find we had new neighbours and that he left tyre tracks all over the front of our pitch.( on the grassy bit )Hope the wardens dont think it was me. The same culprit was faffing around at 6am this morning, banging ,scraping and lots of other noises.He also didnt know his left from his right as warden told everybody which side of the bollard to plot up,he couldnt have got any closer.

I have a strange feeling it was a Funstar for me having read another post on here today.If we meet again im gonna let you hear the growler at 6am.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
I'm sure once I am into this I will set up quickly but..........never having set up........I guess I will faff for ages! But I'm confident there will be other Funsters about to have a laugh while giving good advice!

Judging from the number of posters here who are on the wine/beer 5 minutes after arrival, you're guaranteed they'll be laughing, but I wouldn't trust any of the advice ::bigsmile:

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
Turned up on site Friday,glanced at post level on worktop.Got out and positioned levellers drove on,checked level and turned off ignition.I was a little upset to have to get the 25m hook up lead out as opposed to the 10m .Gas on ,job done. I wont deny the fact that i probably ponced about for an age on our 1st outing and would challenge anyone who said any different.I have been quite suprised as to how many newbies there have been at destinations we have been lately.Some people love to potter around and i am one of them, cant sit still until i start on the ale.

Just to add to this.We went for a walk yesterday and it ended up as one of those liquid lunches with a few solids.Returned to the site to find we had new neighbours and that he left tyre tracks all over the front of our pitch.( on the grassy bit )Hope the wardens dont think it was me. The same culprit was faffing around at 6am this morning, banging ,scraping and lots of other noises.He also didnt know his left from his right as warden told everybody which side of the bollard to plot up,he couldnt have got any closer.

I have a strange feeling it was a Funstar for me having read another post on here today.If we meet again im gonna let you hear the growler at 6am.
My suspicions have been confirmed:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
Newark Thursday
arrive 7.30 pm
7.32 ruin Jims and sians dinner
7.34 park up near enough level
7.34 sorted van
7.40 dog walked
7.45 beer and TV set up
7.50 sat down to biggest stew and dumplings ever lush
yes I know you all can do it bigger faster better and all that

Sorry to Jim and Sian for interrupting your dinner

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years

Oh $hit it prob was me.::bigsmile:

Didn't notice the tyre marks but you try parking an 8m van with the space available.

And I wasn't faffing at 6 am .

It started much earlier.::bigsmile:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
And I had to pitch too close to you as I had a car as well.

Really sorry if we disturbed you.

But I don't think we were scraping or scratching.

Banging I can't rule out::bigsmile:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
but after several attempts to level they are still at quite an angle. I did gesture that I could assist but it was declined........

I assume you used the standard English gesture for "I will assist with you levellers" which to depict a levelling leg by making a fist and extending your middle finger ( a very accurate picture ) and move the hand up and down to signify extending the leg.

Apr 2, 2011
south essex Benfleet
Funster No
MH
CarthagoM liner.
Exp
since 1986 & tugger before
You all must have seen the people who pull up on site/aire/car park/layby/beach/outside friends house/pub car park/by a lake/by a river/on top of a mountain/in a valley,and their van is perfectly level,you comment "how lucky was that"and then they get out the levelling blocks and proceed to drive all the way to the highest point ,making the front of the van looking as if it is searching for low flying aircraft then spend the rest of their stay in that position quite happy..

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years

Didn't notice the tyre marks but you try parking an 8m van with the space available.

Bloody hell, you took ya time finding this one :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: If i was there i would have given up my pitch. That will teach you for being posh and having a serviced pitch.:Smile: i will say in your defence they were a little tight up in that corner and narrow lanes.Thats why they were all vacant.Only for elite drivers.Jokes aside thats partly why i chose our van,so easy to manoeuvre.Ive got a vivaro for work but these Ducatos have got a good lock on.Youll have to watch that overhang on that beast of yours.Any how wtf was you doing at 5am.You was being a little boy wasnt you:thumb:

chrisboyo

Free Member
Aug 5, 2009
Newport South Wales
Funster No
MH
Autosleepers Sussex Duo
Exp
5 + 30 years a tugger
Our new moho is great for people watching
It has blacked out windows and no one can see in
:ROFLMAO:We sit there for hours laughing at tuggers antics:ROFLMAO:

:ROFLMAO:I know it,s sad, but at our age, It,s the only bit of pleasure we do have:ROFLMAO:

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
And I had to pitch too close to you as I had a car as well.

Really sorry if we disturbed you.

But I don't think we were scraping or scratching.

Banging I can't rule out::bigsmile:

No honest you didnt wake us ,and i didnt know it was 100% you making all that kin racket .Its funny how sound travels.It was only another fella you woke up that confirmed it.Funny how you was posting on here as i was reading .It did cross my mind and probably would have sussed it if i read your other posts.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:Funny as you like.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
I have to say, I think some people have trouble with their ears, you know, equilbrium an all that stuff - from the weird angles we've seen vans at.

We actually have a shortish spirit level for this purpose - Pete used it in the caravan and it came out of there into the MoHo. So if ours looks weird, it's cos where you is standing must be unlevel, since it won't be us! Unless we have flat tyres or the suspensions gone of course ....

Setting up drill, Pete gets out to turn the gas on, I get spirit level out and check what needs doing, by now he's hovering waiting to see if we need blocks. If so I get out and shove em under appropriate tyres while he relocks the locker. He gets in driving seat and I watch him up the blocks.

Job done; has the fridge come on gas? Put the kettle on.

I love watching other people set up!

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years

Looks like me having a right old dig,couldnt put any smileys on as it was all edits.

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
I have to say, I think some people have trouble with their ears, you know, equilbrium an all that stuff - from the weird angles we've seen vans at.

We actually have a shortish spirit level for this purpose - Pete used it in the caravan and it came out of there into the MoHo. So if ours looks weird, it's cos where you is standing must be unlevel, since it won't be us! Unless we have flat tyres or the suspensions gone of course ....

Setting up drill, Pete gets out to turn the gas on, I get spirit level out and check what needs doing, by now he's hovering waiting to see if we need blocks. If so I get out and shove em under appropriate tyres while he relocks the locker. He gets in driving seat and I watch him up the blocks.

Job done; has the fridge come on gas? Put the kettle on.

I love watching other people set up!

Jenny do you have hand signals,:ROFLMAO: i have a post level, one glance is normally enough.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back