How long does a storm last on MHF? (1 Viewer)

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Really an Jim question?
As the title: a thread starts, is or becomes controversial about a person or subject how long before the postings peter out and interest moves on? x days or x weeks or x hours? I assume Jim that you will have some stats or guesstimates based on your need to monitor or jump in?

OP
OP
sallylillian

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
I was musing how long the Cummings debate would last on here as a guide to the general public and hence journalistic position. ie how long would Cummings and Boris have to tough it out before the rabid dogs found another bit of rag to fight over. The rabid dog reference was aimed at journalists, not MHF members of course.?

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I rarely jump in, I respond to reports mostly. Some topics are so divisive that people just end up arguing and it's not a good look for a motorhome forum. Think Thatcher, Scottish Independence, Brexit, and right now any type of politics, because we are so polarised. Experience has shown that if the threads aren't stopped they never end; they just descend into a bickering spiteful mire. Just like the Cummings one did last night. So I delete it, only to have a smart alec start it up in another thread. The list of people who now cannot see any off-topic posts at all, has been growing by the day during the lockdown.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I suspect there are less good days to bury bad news at the moment I think all the news channels are stuck for content so stories go on longer. Same to an extent on here with a lot on hold in the world. That being said I think theres a lot like me getting around to MH jobs that they've been thinking about for ages.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
If Boris enede lock down tonight and opened all campsites with a free ferry crossing thrown in.
You wouldn't hear the Cummings story on here again.
Same outside, the sooner some other big story develops bye bye MSM and hello new MSM story.

Boris is a lucky PM amongst other things. I would hazard a guess a vaccine will be found in the next 7 days and Cummings will be a who story.

Not wanting to drag up the DC story but just really saying it's the same on here..

Used to call it winter madness.. now it's lockdown madness

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
getting around to MH jobs that they've been thinking about for ages
And me. My unhealthy OCD re electrical wiring has got the better of me so if I wish I have a never-ending task. Yesterday I discovered the rear bedroom light is s supplied from the panel above the hab door using the blue wire out of a heavy mains flex run through the ceiling. The other two wires in the cable aren't used. On the other hand the earth (0v) supply to the same light comes via a switch from the rear of the van and uses one wire, the brown, out of a piece of mains flex fed through the ceiling. That lot'll have to go ?.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
And me. My unhealthy OCD re electrical wiring has got the better of me so if I wish I have a never-ending task. Yesterday I discovered the rear bedroom light is s supplied from the panel above the hab door using the blue wire out of a heavy mains flex run through the ceiling. The other two wires in the cable aren't used. On the other hand the earth (0v) supply to the same light comes via a switch from the rear of the van and uses one wire, the brown, out of a piece of mains flex fed through the ceiling. That lot'll have to go ?.
I've discovered wago mini wire connectors others might disagree I think they're great seconds to connect no soldering easy to alter theres even access for a multimeter after the connections made

OP
OP
sallylillian

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Just like the Cummings one did last night. So I delete it, only to have a smart alec start it up in another thread. The list of people who now cannot see any off-topic posts at all, has been growing by the day during the lockdown.
Apologies, I was asked why I wanted to know, maybe I should have been more generic in my response to Movan, but too late now bets are placed!The original question was all I was interested in out of general interest.

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
I was musing how long the Cummings debate would last on here as a guide to the general public and hence journalistic position. ie how long would Cummings and Boris have to tough it out before the rabid dogs found another bit of rag to fight over. The rabid dog reference was aimed at journalists, not MHF members of course.?
If Boris enede lock down tonight and opened all campsites with a free ferry crossing thrown in.
You wouldn't hear the Cummings story on here again.
Same outside, the sooner some other big story develops bye bye MSM and hello new MSM story.

Boris is a lucky PM amongst other things. I would hazard a guess a vaccine will be found in the next 7 days and Cummings will be a who story.

Not wanting to drag up the DC story but just really saying it's the same on here..

Used to call it winter madness.. now it's lockdown madness

Is this the new Cummings Thread :unsure:

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
you ever heard the saying if its aint broke dont fix it?

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Apologies, I was asked why I wanted to know, maybe I should have been more generic in my response to Movan,

I'm thinking, that maybe you are thinking, that when I said some smart Alec started it up again I meant you. I didn't. A half an hour after I closed the Cummins thread last night someone else started another in the same vein. That's the smart alec :D

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
I'm thinking, that maybe you are thinking, that when I said some smart Alec started it up again I meant you. I didn't. A half an hour after I closed the Cummins thread last night someone else started another in the same vein. That's the smart alec :D
If you meant me Jim that one, although it mentioned DC, was purely about BBC bias. Something that is often discussed on here.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Grrrr! My dustman has just put the bin back yet again with the handles facing the wrong way. ?
Since the lockdown started I've been on the doorstep waiting on the binmen (no, we don't have any binladies!) emptying it before bringing it back in (narrow footpath and motorhome is on the road next to it). Always a quick word to the guys like how's it going, look after yourselves, etc and a bit of banter.:smiley:
Anyway, they've now started to bring it back in and up the path for me into it's place beside the other ones.
Last week I didn't put the bin out (was empty) and one of the binmen came up the path to see if I had forgotten!(y)
A positive side to CV!(y)
You're obviously not treating them right!:p;):giggle:

ginscot

Free Member
Nov 1, 2018
Funster No
MH
Ford Chausson 610
Exp
Since 2005
Maybe the "rabid dogs" will get to the truth.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Last week I didn't put the bin out (was empty) and one of the binmen came up the path to see if I had forgotten!(y)
They are a valuable part of the social caring infrastructure.
ISTR a recent post from Chris or RowleyBirkinQC that as the recycling bin wasn't full of bottles the binman knocked to see if he was O.K.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Really an Jim question?
As the title: a thread starts, is or becomes controversial about a person or subject how long before the postings peter out and interest moves on? x days or x weeks or x hours? I assume Jim that you will have some stats or guesstimates based on your need to monitor or jump in?

Some contentious threads contunue even when everything has been said, but not everyone has said it yet.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I've discovered wago mini wire connectors others might disagree I think they're great seconds to connect no soldering easy to alter theres even access for a multimeter after the connections made
Me too - some recent wiring in the van saw me using them for the first time. They don't damage the wire either. I've been removing the plaits from a fairly large loom on the van in an attempt to find multiple common points. I have no wiring diagram (I don't think the converter had one either) so it's handy to be able to keep wires together but remove them several times when untangling. Wagos are brilliant for doing that. Biggest common point had 5 wires soldered together then taped up. And they weren't earths.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Me too - some recent wiring in the van saw me using them for the first time. They don't damage the wire either. I've been removing the plaits from a fairly large loom on the van in an attempt to find multiple common points. I have no wiring diagram (I don't think the converter had one either) so it's handy to be able to keep wires together but remove them several times when untangling. Wages are brilliant for doing that. Biggest common point had 5 wires soldered together then taped up.
Ours had the standard wago connectors on a lot of the wiring anyway thats one reason I chose to use more of them. I've got a few spares for jobs around the house I can't see me using the chocolate block connectors again.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp

I think the wago s are great in the house but prefer the soldered heat shrinks for things that move

Amazon product ASIN B07DC7TTPZ

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back