How Long Before GAs Fridge Is Cold (1 Viewer)

Spinout

Free Member
Apr 17, 2014
London
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Hi
I have managed to light my gas fridge...which is a result as it has not been used for a few years!

I have a blue light but it doesn't seem to be that cold, this maybe because the max/min has been worn off the knob, or maybe the fridge pilot area needs a clean.

Any advice gratefully accepted.

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
It should take around 3 hours to get down to temperature, if it doesn't appear to be cooling at all or very poorly as it hasn't been used for a good while it is worth trying the trick of turning the whole thing upside down leaving overnight , stand it upright again and leave for a few hours then try the fridge again, it doesn't all way's work but often does.

Upvote 0

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
unused for a few year the problem is most likely one of rust and other debris fallen down the flue, clean the flue, the burner and most importantly replace the jet. then you will get a full blast of gas. Turning upside down works with quite old fridges not modern ones.

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi I think the cold knob turns fully to the right for the coldest setting ----but if you put it in the middle you should notice a difference in temps.Do you have a thermometer to chuck in ?if not place a cup of water in overnight giving it plenty of time to chill---If you end up taking it out and doing as FT says turning it upside down it's held in by screws at the front-open the door and look around the inner front edge for them.You may also have to take the external vents off to get access to the gas coupling but try easing the fridge out first because on the old models there is a good chance they left plenty of play in the gas pipe to allow you to pull the fridge forward enough to get at it :thumb: On newer models the vents in 2 pieces allowing you to take the inner part off so you can get to the rear --yours will more than likely be a one bit vent
terry

Upvote 0
Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Hi
I have managed to light my gas fridge...which is a result as it has not been used for a few years!

I have a blue light but it doesn't seem to be that cold, this maybe because the max/min has been worn off the knob, or maybe the fridge pilot area needs a clean.

Is your van level? Too much of a slope stops gas fridges working. We found this when we parked nose first into our sloping drive. Combined with the slight "nose down" attitude of the van when it's on level ground, the combination stopped our fridge working. When reversed in it worked fine.

Tim

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

simply

Free Member
Apr 24, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Renault Trafic
Exp
Newcomer
co

:Eeek: In the absence of regular servicing of a gas appliance I really do hope you have a carbon monoxide detector - which you check regularly ?!?!?

Upvote 0

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Hi

Does it work on mains? That should tell you if it is a heating/gas problem, or a refrigeration problem. (Of course, you might have both...)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Spinout

Spinout

Free Member
Apr 17, 2014
London
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Thanks a lot.

Most likely it needs a good clean and possibly a new jet. I did see the two front screws at the front and undid them but the fridge seem to be locked solid. I noted that there is access and venting behind and underneath the fridge so will have a good look tomorrow to see whether I can clean from there.

The van is reasonably horizontal at the back but thanks for the tip.

I hope to have good news in the next 48 hours!:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back