How long a water hose do I need? (1 Viewer)

chenderson1965

Free Member
Aug 3, 2019
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 79R A Class
Exp
10 years with hires, Newbie owner
It’s a really basic question but I just discovered that the flat hose I bought is only about 5m long and I guess that’s probably not enough.

I have a large (20 litre) jerry can with spout for when the supply is really hard to get to - but how long a hose should I carry to be confident of being able to reach the tap on most sites?

Thanks

Chris

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
1) Previous owner gave me a roll up 20M flat hose and I carry a few connectors and a watering can.
If going to arrive later in the day or not sure of locaton I fill up at MH store tap before leaving home. I have parked at lovely spots where I simply didn't want to drive to tap so a 10Litre watering can and a similar sized collapsible in the other was sufficient to keep us going.
2) Refitting the original old shower head which has a pressure switch included (have to squeeze lever for water to come out of shower head regardless of what taps are doing) has made a BIG reduction to usage of water when showering on site. No wasted water inbetween actually blasting water at your head/body - picture of modern version below....
3) Funster Neighbours have always been quick to loan an exra piece of pipe if a "convenient" tap was just a few metres from where you are parked.

1568635254421.png

Upvote 0

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
suavecarve knows all about hoses ... he dreams of them! :D

I have various bits and bobs to connect a hose to all manner of taps, plus 2 hoses (it was one which I cut into a long and short piece), these sit nicely curled up together in a bag on my rear door with the bits above so they are easily accessible. I also have 2 x 5L tall/narrow water containers that mean that if I have to use them walking back and forth is easier as they 'balance' me (1 in each hand) rather than a single 10L one which makes it less comfortable as all the weight is on one side and you end up walking like Quasimodo! A 5L is much easier to lift up high to fill the tank too especially as our filler is nearly 5ft off the ground. If we want to carry some spare water with us to supplement our 100L tank we can fill the 2 x 5L containers and slot them in somewhere. We also have a 15L (or is it 20L?) collapsible container but it is rarely used for fresh water now as it's like trying to wrestle a jelly fish when emptying it in to the tank!

Below is an old photo of my kit, some has been replaced, eg the black funnel with a better green one, and a second 5L container, and a few more connector bits.

If you have a look at my website page below and scroll to the bottom you can see some info on my current set-up.

View attachment 331807

View attachment 331806
I m still masculine enough to admit to hose envy ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

POH

May 29, 2018
Funster No
MH
Pilote 740c
Exp
5 years
Hi i use the yoyo red hose got the 10mtr one it expands when you turn the tap on and it's food grade so plastic taste ,had 2 of the cassette type both sprung leaks so will need to buy another yoyo one just to make sure i have enough (length :D)

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
With a 65gal water tank, I use two 25m food grade hoses and three 20m food grade lay flat hoses, plus an Auqaroll, just in case. Uprooting and moving to the tap other everyday is not an option. :gum:
That's why I only carry a watering can ,Nice big 14 litre one.BUSBY.

Upvote 0

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
2) Refitting the original old shower head which has a pressure switch included (have to squeeze lever for water to come out of shower head regardless of what taps are doing) has made a BIG reduction to usage of water when showering on site. No wasted water inbetween actually blasting water at your head/body - picture of modern version below....
A stop start shower head is essential but the best shower heads don't have that function, so I use one of these. between the hose end and the shower head. It works really well just using a thumb and I can use any regular shower head with it,

Amazon product ASIN B00HSWPYIG

Upvote 0

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
That's why I only carry a watering can ,Nice big 14 litre one.BUSBY.

Can’t use a watering can because there is no way to just pour it in. The input has a shut off type thingy that requires water pressure, ie using a hose, or the likes of an aquaroll, into which I can stuff a caravan type pump to get the pressure up to open the valve. If you understand my ramblings.

Plus, even with a 14L water can, I would, starting from empty, have to lug it back and forth, seventeen odd times. Management can almost drop a full tank each day, I would be cream crackered. :rofl:

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I have 2x15m collapsible hoses, most of the time I only need one but from time to time the longer length is useful. I got mine from Argos. They are light and shrivel up to take up very little space.

Some sites do not allow you to run a hose to your motorhome on the pitch, insisting that you use the motorhome service point. I discussed this with a “jobsworth” warden who said it was a potential trip hazard and hence in the national rules. It is probably more about it annoying some caravaners.
Why would you not go to the service point!!!!!! . We carry a short (about 10' ordinary garden hose and use that nearly all the time. We also have a collapsable one from Aldi/Lidl but hardly ever need it. It really depends a lot on how you use your m/h if you like to pitch up and not move for days you need the watering can/long hose (and probably a caravan!!!). If you move a lot the shorter one will usually be fine. We have a 130l fresh water tank that probably affects how you fill and when although we get through a fair bit as we both shower in the van every day usually even if on a site.

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
A stop start shower head is essential but the best shower heads don't have that function, so I use one of these. between the hose end and the shower head. It works really well just using a thumb and I can use any regular shower head with it,

We had a similar thing from the people who sell the Orbit shower heads but it was very stiff to use so ditched it. The Orbit/Ecocamel shower heads are a bit of a con in a m/h too they work very well in the situation they were designed for (high flow/pressure showers) . In a m/h where the shower is often on low flow they don,t work that well theres often too little flow to get the air mix to work and at very low flow the water drips back out of the air inlet so some water is wasted I think they are a case of the "emperors clothes"

Upvote 0
Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10

Jim, does it rotate or push in and out to stop the flow? Just asking as my others half arthritis restricts her grip somewhat, but like the idea....

Upvote 0

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
It’s a really basic question but I just discovered that the flat hose I bought is only about 5m long and I guess that’s probably not enough.

I have a large (20 litre) jerry can with spout for when the supply is really hard to get to - but how long a hose should I carry to be confident of being able to reach the tap on most sites?

Thanks

Chris
Unfortunately, I don’t think you can be confident in reaching the tap on sites. I have a 100ft and a 25ft expandable hose with connector, a10 litre watering can and a 25 litre jerry can that I drop a 12v pump in to. I just thought that if I cover most basis, I won’t go wrong(y)

Upvote 0

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
As ever on this type of thread, you get lots of uninformed comments, where people can't possibly understand why other people don't / can't do it the same way as them.

Upvote 0

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2015
Geez...If the hose doesn't reach you could add another piece of hose, If that's a stretch you could always borrow a hose from a neighbour, still not reaching? Any more neighbours. No maybe you could pop out and buy a length. Not possible, go for your can. singular??? You need another to balance you up, you don't have another! What about a neighbour he might have one you could borrow, what about his neighbour you could always ask him. What about collapsible buckets, not thought of that? These are great but you'll need a funnel, don't have one, you could ask a neighbour. But don't overlook an Aquaroll now these are great they hold 40L two big downsides though, they take a lot of space but if space isn't important maybe you could have two, that is 40L+40L a whole 80L. If you haven't got two maybe a neighbour would lend you one. Fantastic, but the other downside, getting the water into the tank, for that I personally, me, use an electric lift pump, this has two downsides too, you have to remember to bring it and you need access to power, this can be either crocodile clips directly onto the batteries, my prefered option, or use the cigarette lighter in the cab which is my least preferred option as the lift pump can use more power than the cigarette lighter is designed to handle and you blow a fuse. I just thought this method does rely upon you having charged batteries so that is three whole downsides. maybe after reading this more post more life has ebbed away from you so you'll not have the strength to be so flippant with a newbies post. ;) .
Getting likes from folks who liked his post, priceless :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Upvote 0

Mr Mousy

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Sep 9, 2013
Llanelli
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840
Exp
First moho 11/2013, second 11/2014 current from 09/2019.
We bought this, really light, compact and flexible.

Link Removed

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Unfortunately, I don’t think you can be confident in reaching the tap on sites. I have a 100ft and a 25ft expandable hose with connector, a10 litre watering can and a 25 litre jerry can that I drop a 12v pump in to. I just thought that if I cover most basis, I won’t go wrong(y)
I've never been to a site where the closest you can drive to a tap is 100' !!!!!!!

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Do you always drive around with it full?
I always try to keep 20L in there for the odd thing - but come winter I'll probably travel empty, but sometimes having a full tank is very useful - how do you decide how much to have?
If going a long way we usually travei 1/3 full about 40l. When we are in the area we are touring it depends how easy water is to come by we recently found it so easy on Spannish aires we just filled as needed on the other hand if in France and we have to pay a whole 2euros for 100l we make sure we need about that at least to get our moneys worth (still trying to pass the Yorkshire entrance exam!!!!!)

Upvote 0

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
You just slide it with your thumb, there are cheaper versions but we have this exact version and it works really easy.

We tried Jim's version, but Managements dexterity found it hard to work, so we now use this, which is basically the same thing but with a longer leaver on/off bit.

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
Never carry a hose. Max 16 trips to the hose with my 10 l plastic Jerry can

Upvote 0

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2015
So why would anyone need a 100' hose?
Why, was not the question. I told the OP what I use, so it is up to the OP to choose from all advice given, not just mine but certainly not from the "why would you" brigade, that doesn’t help.

Upvote 0

Hymie

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Classic Hymer B564
Exp
Since 1981
2 x20mtr collapsible hoses, all sorts of connectors, a 55ltr plastic Jerry can, collapsible trolley and a whale submersible pump. Never failed to fill.

Upvote 0
Aug 11, 2016
ipswich
Funster No
MH
Not sure
Exp
1 year
No need for you to respond then is there, ignore and move on to something you can contribute to.

No need for you to respond with your first comment then as Jim had said almost the same thing, but if it makes you feel like the big man please respond again.

Upvote 0

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2015
No need for you to respond with your first comment then as Jim had said almost the same thing, but if it makes you feel like the big man please respond again.
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::lips::lips::lips::lips::lips::lips::moon2::moon2::moon2::moon2::moon2::moon2::moon2::moon2::moon2::moon2:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back