How job titles can affect motor insurance premiums (1 Viewer)

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I couldn't be a dj and I couldn't be a dance instructor to special needs children without a humungous premium load:( . Ridiculous when you need the vehicle for your livelihood you are MORE careful than normal I would guess.

Thankfully I am now a nothing so premiums ok. :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Been like that for years ... we were advised a while ago to put down 'retired' rather than house husband/wife etc as it's the cheapest option!

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
SWMBO put the phrase "Domestic Engineer" on a request many years ago.
It's still in someones computer because every so often we get offers for Insurance where her job description is Domestic Engineer.

dryad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2010
hermit in beautiful coastal east kent
Funster No
MH
citroen relay pvc
Exp
quite a few years now, and loving every minute..
you get penalised and loaded if you're divorced i discovered, even if it was many years ago, in my case 37 years ago, it still follows you around. the reason apparently is that after a divorce you're liable to be unstable :confused: and a risk, utter bollox of course, there are many, many people living happier, contented, safer lives after a disastrous marriage..

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
My mate is a nightclub manager....except for motor insurance where he ia an entertainents manager.

Insurance is designed to be incomprehensible.
He just bought a car for his 18yo daughter with a provisional licence....insurance for Kate alone...just shy of £1600
He put himself and his wife as ADDITIONAL, not main, drivers and it came down to £600.

Just cant see the logic, 3 times the risk and Kate's still the named main driver.

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
So can anyone in the know tell us what insurers deem to be the lowest risk profession ?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
My mate is a nightclub manager....except for motor insurance where he ia an entertainents manager.

Insurance is designed to be incomprehensible.
He just bought a car for his 18yo daughter with a provisional licence....insurance for Kate alone...just shy of £1600
He put himself and his wife as ADDITIONAL, not main, drivers and it came down to £600.

Just cant see the logic, 3 times the risk and Kate's still the named main driver.
Actually not that simple, as they are on the policy too there is a likelihood that they will drive it which means that the 18 year old may not drive it as much ...

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Actually not that simple, as they are on the policy too there is a likelihood that they will drive it which means that the 18 year old may not drive it as much ...
True, but extremely unlikely once she passes her test.
Nikki has her own shed car and Steve has a car and a vivaro van.
Simply a means to an end for cheaper insurance.

Jabberwocky

Free Member
Aug 14, 2015
Yeovil
Funster No
MH
MWB coach build
Exp
I'm a newbie
As a professional driver I'm a higher risk despite being trained to a higher level with more road experiance, apparently it's because we do a 15 hr working day and then crash our cars on the way home.

The highest risk profession is a pro footballer, second is being the relative of a pro footballer.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
So can anyone in the know tell us what insurers deem to be the lowest risk profession ?

Prostitutes apparently.

On the basis that they are "off road" for lengthy periods.(y)

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Prostitutes apparently.

Never thought of it like that. o_O I mean, they shouldn't be off the road for lengthy periods of time, they get serviced enough. (y)

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Prostitutes apparently.

Except they have to add a clause for "temporary workplace insurance"

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
so now Im no longer employed, but not officaily retired, but taking a carrier break due to cancer treament (its possible I may want to go back to work at some point), what do I tell my insurer that will .
Its fair to say my previous proffession loading my insurance quit highly.

a: not invaladate my insurance
b: keep my premium at its lowest posible
c: not frighten my insurer into saying go away we dont do ill people

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
I argued this when there was no description for my job,that they wanted to call it something else with a higher premium.
As with anything that is 'made up' (there is no product, just an idea plucked from thin air) the rules are not there to help us, but to confuse us and benefit them.
As a result, any cold callers get a royal bollocking and anyone calling saying 'our records show ' gets torn a new one. Send me those records.. Oh you can't because of data protection. Well it's my data.
And it's wrong.

Petest

Free Member
Jan 23, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
New convert
I have worked for myself either self employed or, up until recently, with my own company. I always had a large van for work (lwb transit). Never had a claim.
When I got the MH I was told my NCD didn't count and couldn't be transferred.
I was a bit miffed as I'm used to driving a large vehicle and couldn't see why I should be a higher risk than someone that only drives a car.

Ended up going with the CC as they offered a consolation NCD

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
so now Im no longer employed, but not officaily retired, but taking a carrier break due to cancer treament (its possible I may want to go back to work at some point), what do I tell my insurer that will .
Its fair to say my previous proffession loading my insurance quit highly.

a: not invaladate my insurance
b: keep my premium at its lowest posible
c: not frighten my insurer into saying go away we dont do ill people
Not sure what 'officially retired' really means - we left work at 48 and 51 and have no intention of going back but don't get a pension etc so it is a 'chosen' retirement, but we still put retired down on the paperwork as we were advised to do to keep the premiums down.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back