How hot does it get in a van? (1 Viewer)

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
One of the reasons we're looking to buy a van is so that we can get up and go when it suits us and take our wee dog with us. We were at a dealer yesterday looking around some vans and were struck by how hot it was in a few of them in the bright sunshine.
This concerns us as we will at some point have to leave the dog in the van for an hour or so.
I know that you can draw curtains or blinds on the windows but what about the roof lights, do they have blinds to keep out the light/heat?
Leaving windows open slightly isn't always a good idea. How hot can it get in a van?:hot:

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
The roof lights will have blinds yes. Leaving them open as well is a better idea than windows.

Depending on where you are in the world it will still get pretty hot so leaving a dog during the middle of the day is an absolute no. It's no different to leaving one in a car.

Even in this country we wouldn't dream of it. If ours get left at all it's only ever in the evening when it's cooler.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
It can get pretty warm in our PVC. Our coach built was much better in that respect.

But both would be too warm in my opinion to leave a dog in on a warm sunny day. Especially in some of the warmer parts of Europe.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Wee Bold Davy
May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
To be honest it wasn't the answer that I was looking for:( I really did think that keeping out the sunlight would keep the van cooler:doh:

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
We can keep our within a couple of degrees of the outside shade temperature, we have an alluminuim roller shutter on the windscreen but a silver screen as well would be even better, we close all the window blinds but leave the windows open a bit on the shaded side and then leave the thermostatic controlled fan in the kitchen set to pull out air when it gets warm, when it pulls out in replaces it from the cooler shaded side. Ours is a German A class with good insulation so I don't know how this affects things as well.

Martin

Upvote 0

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Leave the roof vents open so the heat doesn't build up.if you can park in the shade that helps.
The panel vans are not so well insulated as the others. And only leave them for a short while if you must.
Bearing on mind it's much easier abroad to take dogs with you into shops and restaurants.

Upvote 0

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
As others have said taking some precautions will lower the inside temp considerably. One that hasn't been mention and makes a big difference is the state/colour of the roof, it's not a coincidence that Burstner have white roofs on their gold or silver coloured vans. Keeping the roof clean along with other precautions like using a silver screen and opening roof lights will help to keep the interior cooler

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
A couple of weeks ago in France 30 deg outside inside 36-38 with blinds drawn and we have the insulated aluminium front blind. Can easily get up to 45 in warm weather with doors and windows closed.

Upvote 0

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Think it depends on the size of the van and its insulation.
Definitely not in a PVC, I found that got as hot as a car.
In a larger motorhome on EHU you can leave a fan on. I used a small fan heater on cold. Freeze some water bottles and stand a couple in the air flow. Lowers the temperature a few more degrees.
I had to leave the dogs and cats in the motorhome (6.4 metres) when I full timed for nearly 2 years. ( mostly 2012 which was a cool, wet British Summer)All the roof lights open, Windows open with fly screens over, curtains across and fan on there was never a problem. The cats used to be stretched out in the warmest spot when I got back. No signs of distress in any of them and it was never more than comfortably warm when I got back. If I'd found it airless or unbearable I'd never have left them again. I thought it was safer than taking the dogs with me and leaving them in the car.
They were only left while I went shopping. For longer times ( when granddaughter was still in NICU and subsequent medical appointments) I left the dogs in my daughter's house.
When you get your motorhome, leave it for an hour as you would with just the dog in it. Then get into it. Too hot for you, it's too hot for the dog.

Upvote 0

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
Just had a thought. Why don't more van conversioners paint their roofs white? After all the usual thin coating of paint which usually offers little protection could do with a top up.

Upvote 0

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
I've just got my PVC... it's black!
Just as an example, when I got in it yesterday, it had been standing in the (British) sunshine all day... the control panel indicated 20C outside, and 30C inside.
But that was with all the roof lights closed.

I'd be sensible - some good suggestions above.
If it's too warm a day, plan your day so as not to leave the dog.
Park in the shade, leave roof lights open, perhaps with flyscreens shut to give partial shade but better airflow. Silver screen on the windscreen to insulate the large expanse of glass.
Get a "Endless Breeze" 12v fan [expensive but very effective].
If you're planning to go to hot destinations then plan to go on sites with EHU and budget for aircon.

And check it out yourself - if its too hot for you, it's too hot for your dog.
But only you can decide what's best for you and your hound.

Upvote 0

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Just had a thought. Why don't more van conversioners paint their roofs white? After all the usual thin coating of paint which usually offers little protection could do with a top up.
Possibly because of UK weather - they need all the warmth they can get :D2.
TBH, looking at mine, there's not a huge amount of roof space left after the solar panel, 3 roof lights & TV aerial.

Upvote 0
Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
Our Adria twin 640 has grade A insulation, just like A class vans, and as such it keeps pretty cool in summer. The biggest factor here is to keep the front and door windows well covered by an insulated screen.
Phil

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Interesting comments above.

We have had coachbuilts and were concerned when we decided to switch to PVCs due to having dogs so have made efforts to keep it as cool as possible for them so do the following which makes a lot of difference:

Parking: we go for shade if we can, even a little bit can help, we also park with our rear into the sun as much as possible due to the cab having the largest expanse of glass, the less glass facing the sun, the less heat that comes in.

Roof vents: these are opened front and rear with the fly screen across and I put on some insulating pads that I made (same stuff as the screens you use inside of the cab at night) which have suckers on and attached to the open roof light 'glass' along with some extra bits of reflective material (internal car blind type stuff that's a bit like rigid bubble wrap and folds) dropped down the side of them if the sun is coming in that way but still allows the hot air to escape and fresh air to come in.

Cab: whilst we have fixed Remis blinds these don't stop much light/heat so we have internal insulating pads that fit between the blinds and the glass and stop the heat (I just cut down some old internal pads so they fitted within the Remi's framework and re-edged them), alternatively we also have a large external silver car screen cover (not insulated) which does a great job of reflecting the heat so ideal for if we're facing the sun and won't be out long enough to warrant putting on the whole lot of pads.

Habitation windows: I've got some of the car blind stuff (silver rigid bubble wrap type material that folds) cut to size for all of the windows so can put this between the window and the blinds.​

The above massively reduces the amount of light and heat that can enter our camper and keeps the interior at a nice temperature for the dogs ... often we've gone back and found it cooler than standing outside ... we open the door and the dogs just lift their heads up from having a snooze as if to say, oh hell, they're back already and we were having a lovely peaceful time!

The only thing we won't do is leave them in there if it is extremely hot, high 30s+ as without habitation air con nothing will keep the interior cool in any MH/camper but to be honest we are unlikely to want to venture out and leave them anyway as it would be too ruddy hot for us to do anything!

Upvote 0

beltsandbraces

Free Member
Feb 14, 2017
worthing
Funster No
MH
lunar 780
Exp
I don't think we will ever have this problem!! if we left George I think he would eat most of the interior !! so he comes with us :rolleyes: although to look at him butter wouldn't melt!!

Upvote 0

JackieP

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
To be honest it wasn't the answer that I was looking for:( I really did think that keeping out the sunlight would keep the van cooler:doh:

You're right, it does, but if the outdoor air temperature is still very high then there comes a point when despite measures taken, the van gets hot - and considerably hotter than outside.

I've just come through Portugal, Spain and France at a time when all the areas i was in seemed to be experiencing an unseasonal heatwave and it's been tough. Too hot to open the windows (and there was no cool air anyway) and the sun overhead so for much of the day the top vent blinds had to stay shut.

I searched for shade and sometimes was lucky to find it and it does make a huge difference and I used the awning too when I was somewhere where I could wind it out and I was pretty good at working out where there was a breeze and positioning the van to get as much of it running through as possible.

In Cahors one day it was 39 degrees and not a breath of air and the only thing to do is to stay outside and find shade for a bit.

If you haven't got a dog you can shut your van up for the day and come back when the sun goes down but it's harder finding somewhere to go with a dog for a whole day there's no doubt.

All that said, it was an experience! Two months of red hot weather with not a sign of rain or clouds can be a challenge in a van and the one day when it did rain in the north of Spain the dog and I went out and did a dance in it!

So, you're right to give it some thought but really, anything can be overcome.

As an addendum… I've landed in England and am desperate for cool weather and it's forecast 28 degrees for tomorrow! Strewth. :)

Upvote 0

JackieP

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006

That's a really good point. My van is dark brown and green and I'm sure it's gets hotter than most. One of my jobs for the summer back on the Island is to paint the roof white so that at least some of the heat is being bounced back.

Upvote 0

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
That's a really good point. My van is dark brown and green and I'm sure it's gets hotter than most. One of my jobs for the summer back on the Island is to paint the roof white so that at least some of the heat is being bounced back.
Painting the roof white will help, when I have cleaned roofs during the hot weather you can feel the difference between mucky and clean roof.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Wee Bold Davy
May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
You're right, it does, but if the outdoor air temperature is still very high then there comes a point when despite measures taken, the van gets hot - and considerably hotter than outside.

I've just come through Portugal, Spain and France at a time when all the areas i was in seemed to be experiencing an unseasonal heatwave and it's been tough. Too hot to open the windows (and there was no cool air anyway) and the sun overhead so for much of the day the top vent blinds had to stay shut.

I searched for shade and sometimes was lucky to find it and it does make a huge difference and I used the awning too when I was somewhere where I could wind it out and I was pretty good at working out where there was a breeze and positioning the van to get as much of it running through as possible.

In Cahors one day it was 39 degrees and not a breath of air and the only thing to do is to stay outside and find shade for a bit.

If you haven't got a dog you can shut your van up for the day and come back when the sun goes down but it's harder finding somewhere to go with a dog for a whole day there's no doubt.

All that said, it was an experience! Two months of red hot weather with not a sign of rain or clouds can be a challenge in a van and the one day when it did rain in the north of Spain the dog and I went out and did a dance in it!

So, you're right to give it some thought but really, anything can be overcome.

As an addendum… I've landed in England and am desperate for cool weather and it's forecast 28 degrees for tomorrow! Strewth. :)

I could just about cope with 28 degrees, but 39 degrees is OK if you can pop in and out of A/C buildings but if you can't well...........
Being Scottish I don't do heat:rolleyes: certainly struggle to work in it a bit more than most. Saying that the cold don't bother me(y)

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I could just about cope with 28 degrees, but 39 degrees is OK if you can pop in and out of A/C buildings but if you can't well...........
Being Scottish I don't do heat:rolleyes: certainly struggle to work in it a bit more than most. Saying that the cold don't bother me(y)
28 ?? that's winter temps in our lounge:giggler:
You'd only be working in 39 if you were in the shade . :LOL: In the sun it would be around 15º hotter.:hot:

My van is white, all of it. Parked up here with rooflight open & screens on it was 43º in cab when I went out this afternoon . That is witha 39º shade temp.
Barely dropped much over a couple of hours. Dog wasn't with us but he usually is on the floor in cab under my seat. In 2014 he & I had to park up when it was around 53º in the cab & the air when you put your arm out the window was burning hot. Mine is a lot cooler in the rear but unless I am there then the dog will not go there.
I'd never leave him for a prolonged period during the day here except December to February-March ish.

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
The big difference is parking the cab away from the sun if we do that and open all the vents its not much warmer than outside in the shade and cooler than in the sun (coachbuilt)

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
the cab windows are literally a greenhouse, so proper insulated silverscreens are essential kit. put them on before the sun heats the van up. and open the cab windows to let heat out as well as the skylights. we also use a plastic trellis type grid trapped by the glass in the cab doors when leaving the dogs unattended. if anyone was stupid enough to try putting an arm in, the dogs would have it for dinner

Upvote 0

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
or build your own .
my trailer was built for africa . no roof lights ,they cause heat. small windows high up chimney heat out but dont allow alot of hot sunshine in . clear fibre roof but white insulation to the inner roof reflects the heat.
many have sat in my trailer and wondered if i have air conditioning hidden away .
but no what you see is what you have . unfortunately m,home converters like the big boys around today cant ever use what they build or design . if they did they wouldnt build them like they do.

Reactions: DBK
Upvote 0

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Just had a skim read through, lot's of good suggestions, but no one has mentioned an endless breeze fan fitted to the rooflight! We don't have one, but we can set our aircon to fan only (doesn't use so much power when on inverter).
When we visited Neuschwanstein last year, doggy had to stay in the van whilst we went into the castle.
It was a pretty hot day, so we parked the van in the shade, by virtue of the fact that the cab aircon had reduced the interior temperature whilst driving, the internal temperature was 20 degrees. We switched on the fan, and opened the roof light, so there was a through breeze. when we returned about an hour later, internal temp was 21. I imagine the same performance could be achieved with the endless breeze.

If it is going to get hot, these are brilliant for keeping dogs cool:
http://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pets/easidri-high-performance-cooling-coat-for-dogs-(online-only)

Upvote 0

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Fans don't cool dogs down like they might cool us. Air-con does though. I know Eddie vanbitz will leave his dogs in the RV with AC on, and he has it set up so he gets notified via text if the AC stops.

That said when its very hot My RV is always cooler inside than out, it never heats up like I've seen described above. Must be a construction thing, or being or 4 times larger in the interior. But its never too warm in it for a dog.

Reactions: DBK
Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting

I put this on the wall next to me to give you a rough idea of sun temperature whilst I was putting stuff on roof rack & cleaning panels.
0-02-04-f6af2101695eaa851a87b288eee75870d369ffa5e85af7d7f2d46d0e62698abd_full.jpg

@ 7p.m. Had to put in shade as it was at top of the glass tube.:LOL: & yes I burnt my knee on a panel.:D

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back