How hot are you ? (1 Viewer)

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
As a newbie & not yet owning a motorhome, this recent warm weather has prompted me to consider how people keep cool in the vans. We all like a bit of sunshine, but in a house you can go inside for a cool down. In a van I guess it could get incredibly hot & you may be unable to park in shade ? I suppose some have hab Air Con but this would need ehu so what do others do to cool off ?
Is it ever a big problem & is hab AC a necessity for southern Europe ?

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I struggle keeping cool in my van must be honest. Always wish I was parked near water so I could jump in it.... that's why Shrewsbury meet was good.

PS love the little pup

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Figaro
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Blimy, don`t know whats up with the lappy tonight !

Cute puppy (Louis) but driving me mad today, biting, chewing, very demanding of time etc !

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Skylights up, winders open, fly screens shut, awnin, chairs and ice cold beers out, lay back and relaxxxxxx:cooler:
But if driving then air con is a must.

OP
OP
Figaro
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Blimy, don`t know whats up with the lappy tonight !

Cute puppy (Louis) but driving me mad today, biting, chewing, very demanding of time etc !

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Dunfermline fife scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
MH Since 2008, ex tugger and vw campers since 1992
I struggled in france I must admit a few nights it was still high 20's overnight had all skylights open but didn't want to leave windows open just lay on top of duvet instead of under it and thought must complain lol I'm Scottish good weather isn't taken for granted

Daytime i sat outside and lapped up the sun

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
over a Year Yay................
38.5 inside :eek:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I suggest trying to avoid A/C other than in the cab, which is a great boon both in summer and in the winter for demisting the windscreen. The problem of A/C in the living quarters is you will spend most of the day confined to the cool and thus might as well have stayed at home. Acclimatise or just drive north until it is cooler. Or of course, go to south Europe outside of the hottest months if you can.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
We usually manage without hab a/c in temperatures up to the mid 30's. Keep windows open as far as possible but close the reflective blinds on all windows on the sunny side, just flyscreens on the shaded side. Ideally have your awning (roof only) on the sunny side to shelter the side of the MH. Fans are useful. Our most useful is a turbovent over the bed, on extract during the day to clear the hot air near the ceiling, and blowing in on low (and almost silent) speed at night to draw in the cooler night air.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
We don't have any air conditioning beyond opening vents and windows, but we prefer hot to cold and after a couple of days we acclimatise and survive, including in southern Europe. On one occasion in the aire at Carcassonne our outside temperature sensor registered 50 degrees C in shade - maybe it was knackered, but it was well over 40 inside the MH. If it's too hot at night we sleep under a single sheet - somehow being covered by something makes all the difference to trying to sleep under nothing.

If you don't like hot, stay in England in the summer. Simple really.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
On EHU if you put a fan on, or use a fan heater on cold setting, first fill some plastic bottles with water and freeze them. Stand them about 8-12 ins in front of fan and it will cool more effectively.

Doesn't work with a floor pedestal fan tho.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I struggle keeping cool in my van must be honest. Always wish I was parked near water so I could jump in it.... that's why Shrewsbury meet was good.

PS love the little pup
Do you mean the hot post above Joy ;)

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Ours is fully winterised. (It's not just heaters in tanks. )
So the insulation has the cooling effect in the summer too. If you add to that the silver screen , and the silver reflected pull up window blinds, :cooler:
We have no problems even leaving the dogs in there , with water, when we go somewhere they can't go. It's so much cooler inside, than out.
Never been abroad in ours , but these hot temps we've been having have been fine. We also try to park in the shade , or under a tree. So when the dogs are outside they are shaded. Though they prefer to get under the van!

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
On EHU if you put a fan on, or use a fan heater on cold setting, first fill some plastic bottles with water and freeze them. Stand them about 8-12 ins in front of fan and it will cool more effectively.

Doesn't work with a floor pedestal fan tho.
But doesn't that make the van damp? I tried it once but thought of all the damp I'm introducing into the van.
We now use a fan on double speed, don't feel safe with the windows open.

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
When in Morocco we had some taylor made insulated window covers made for us, which are great, but, the majority of the heat from the sun comes via the skylight in the lounge area.
Having seen the price of bespoke covers for the skylights in the local dealers I wish we'd had some made in Morocco, may be on our next visit.
In the meantime we've made one by adapting the basic car windscreen sun blinds which make a big difference. We also use an Eternal Breeze 12v fan

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I am cool... (y)

But not so cool that I can't be hot when necssary... ;)

JJ :cool:

PS. Opening all windows keeps my old Hymer cool enough inside in most situations. I try to remember to park so the fridge side of the van is in the shade.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back