LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
This is the first time I've heard of a panel coming off. Last van panels stuck on with Sika 291i, this van again used Sika 291i for the panels and 292i for the sat dish. I didn't bother with the primer as I concluded wasn't really necessary after reading all the Sika info, nothing has fallen of yet.

Labraska

Free Member
Jul 27, 2017
Uk
Funster No
MH
VW T5 camper
Exp
A few years
Should have used 252, which is a structural adhesive and twice the strength of 512, and most importantly both surfaces should be cleaned and primed (sikaflex products) on a 3mm bed of adhesive
Hopefully no one was hurt when the panel came off
Thankfully not, it blew offf in to the side of the road, the 512 came with the panel, preparared area with alcohol based cleaner but wasn't Sikaflex products.

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
I've used Sikaflex to fix panels onto MH roof twice now, no problems at all. Can't remember which number Sika it was though - doh.

But both times as well as using the normal corner supports, I also made up more additional, very wide "L" shaped brackets from DIY shop-bought aluminium profile just hacksawed into lengths, and have stainless self-tapper-screwed them to the sides and ends of the panel and "planted" them onto a thick bed of Sikaflex too........belt and braces.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Labraska

Free Member
Jul 27, 2017
Uk
Funster No
MH
VW T5 camper
Exp
A few years
I've used Sikaflex to fix panels onto MH roof twice now, no problems at all. Can't remember which number Sika it was though - doh.

But both times as well as using the normal corner supports, I also made up more additional, very wide "L" shaped brackets from DIY shop-bought aluminium profile just hacksawed into lengths, and have stainless self-tapper-screwed them to the sides and ends of the panel and "planted" them onto a thick bed of Sikaflex too........belt and braces.
Thought about doing that too but never got round to it, will this time round tho !! Using 252 this time

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
sika sticks well provided any wax is removed from the area, slightly roughen with a scouring pad and use spacers to ensure a thick bed of the adhesive remains after the weight of the panel etc has squeezed out any air. once its set, it can only be removed manually
most cars are now assembled using a similar urethane based adhesive, it is that strong

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Thankfully not, it blew offf in to the side of the road, the 512 came with the panel, preparared area with alcohol based cleaner but wasn't Sikaflex products.
Did the sikaflex pull the roof paint off with it? I'm wondering what exactly failed.

Apr 22, 2013
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 625
Exp
Since 2011
Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
OK I've read all the Sikaflex (numbers) and used some of them but this time I have used Sikaflex EBT for the solar panel although it's bolted as well. Has anyone else tried this?

If it profes to be as good for our purposes then it's far cheaper and more locally available than some of the other Sika products.

Time will tell.

Rod

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
OK I've read all the Sikaflex (numbers) and used some of them but this time I have used Sikaflex EBT for the solar panel although it's bolted as well. Has anyone else tried this?

If it profes to be as good for our purposes then it's far cheaper and more locally available than some of the other Sika products.

Time will tell.

Rod
Not as cheap as a lost panel, for the extra £20 is it worth taking the risk and sika specc the 252 along with a few others and they know all the technical specc of all there products(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back