Free Member
Apr 16, 2012
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
How do you check how much gas you have left in a cylinder? I have tried running hot water down side of cylinder and sort of have an idea how much is left. What about you?

Also, HAPPY CHRISTMAS :party3::party3::party3::party3::party3::party3:

Rob

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
The only accurate way is to weigh the cylinder and subtract the tare.
approx 2 lt. per kilogram

but why do you need / want to know ?

I just use until it goes empty, change to the other cylinder then get the empty filled as soon as convenient.
been doing that for as long as I can remember..

also why I won't have an auto change over valve.. ;)

and a Happy Christmas to you also :)

Jim

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Unless you have one of them useless guage`s you stick on the side..

Nye on impossible...

Most have a couple of bottles..... start out with both full and when one is empty switch to the full un.. use the other.... after a while you get a rough idea on how long they will last.. (y)

Jim explained more easily than I did, but that is what I meant...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Rob e Lee

Rob e Lee

Free Member
Apr 16, 2012
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
We're off to Bruges for a few days and rely on 2 x 6kg cylinders for our heating. One I know is full but the other one not so sure. Just don't want to run out and being on the tight side :cautious: don't want to give back a partly full cylinder.:crying1: Call me Scrooge I don't care :rollingeyes:

Rob

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
We're off to Bruges for a few days and rely on 2 x 6kg cylinders for our heating. One I know is full but the other one not so sure. Just don't want to run out and being on the tight side :cautious: don't want to give back a partly full cylinder.:crying1: Call me Scrooge I don't care :rollingeyes:

Rob

weigh it on bathroom scales .. subtract the tare, marked on the bottle

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
over a Year Yay................
take it out & shake it if nothing its empty but if you can hear/feel something youve got gas (y)

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
I agree with both the others BUT we all seem to have the "luxury" of 2 bottles. I did run out one cold morning when I'd saved weight by leaving a bottle at home :(.

I bought a "suitcase weighing device" (from Lidl, I think) and weighed both cylinders (MTH) empty and full. There are translucent panels which should enable me to see the liquid level but I find these less than easy to use, even with a powerful torch, but knowing the weights enables me to monitor usage on a day-by-day basis if necessary (certainly after using the 5-burner BBQ at home).

Some friends are prepared to ditch a partially-full Calor cylinder in order to start a holiday with a full one: another reason for re-fillables - Gordon.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
take a little electric blown air heater or oil filled rad, we did and stayed on the aire near town. Only tripped the electrics when I had the blown air heater on full but just turned it down and reset the trip switch where it was plugged in.

Joe

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Know what you mean. Doesn't matter how many well meaning Funster's tell you different, there's still that uneasy feeling about running out - especially abroad! For the sake of the price of half a cylinder of gas (say a Tenner) it ain't worth the worry.

The only way to get an idea of contents is to weigh the cylinder.
I too use a cheap hand-held luggage weighing device with a strap that you hang the cylinder from. They are compact and handy in that you don't have to lug cylinders to the bathroom or bring the scales outside and look like a wally in the street, whilst you become a cylinder-hugger standing on scales!

If you want a ROUGH weighing guide..........

A FULL 6kg cylinder weighs 14kg (or 30.86 lbs - say 31 lbs)
GAS weighs 6kg (13.22 lbs)
EMPTY cylinder therefore weighs 8kg (17.63 lbs)
All weights approximate, but as near as dammit!

The reason I've also included the imperial weights, is that the weights embossed on foil collars on some cylinders are still in lbs!

The new Calor Lite cylinders have a rudimentary integral gauge on the tap union. Handy, but not accurate. It does tell you when it's MT

Hope that helps xroll:

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Simple answer is to have a third cylinder at home. On the next UK-based trip out after your hols put two partially used ones on the van. When convenient make sure the one at home is full again. Or at least that's what I did before I had re-fillable (under-slung tank first MH / tank in locker second / two re-fillable current MH).

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
How do you check how much gas you have left in a cylinder
Rob

If it's a bog standard cylinder there are clever ultrasonic scanners. They send a "ping" through and when it hits liquid the ping changes and it lights up.

Like this....

Broken Link Removed

Or for silly money...
Broken Link Removed

They don't work on Gaslow because the "ping" hits the cut off valve and give false readings.

Last edited:

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
When you get to Brugge you'll find your credit card won't be accepted to get into the aire, just press the button at the bottom to get a ticket. You then pay when you leave in the coach park - you can pay in cash or with your credit card.

Joe

OP
OP
Rob e Lee

Rob e Lee

Free Member
Apr 16, 2012
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Know what you mean. Doesn't matter how many well meaning Funster's tell you different, there's still that uneasy feeling about running out - especially abroad! For the sake of the price of half a cylinder of gas (say a Tenner) it ain't worth the worry.

The only way to get an idea of contents is to weigh the cylinder.
I too use a cheap hand-held luggage weighing device with a strap that you hang the cylinder from. They are compact and handy in that you don't have to lug cylinders to the bathroom or bring the scales outside and look like a wally in the street, whilst you become a cylinder-hugger standing on scales!

If you want a ROUGH weighing guide..........

A FULL 6kg cylinder weighs 14kg (or 30.86 lbs - say 31 lbs)
GAS weighs 6kg (13.22 lbs)
EMPTY cylinder therefore weighs 8kg (17.63 lbs)
All weights approximate, but as near as dammit!

The reason I've also included the imperial weights, is that the weights embossed on foil collars on some cylinders are still in lbs!

The new Calor Lite cylinders have a rudimentary integral gauge on the tap union. Handy, but not accurate. It does tell you when it's MT

Hope that helps xroll:

Very useful, many thanks,

Rob

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Not all of us have room in our vans for more than one cylinder.. I have the same issue as the OP every time I use her. I'm only on my second cylinder though since I got the van.. no idea how much is in it so mint weigh it later

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
I look at the Gauge!
image.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun