How far would you travel for work on your motorhome? (1 Viewer)

Oct 10, 2009
Bishop's Stortford
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Since 2011
Just reading threads and think there is an understandable distance/price v best supplier/fitter conundrum.
To illustrate I list below the jobs I have had done on my present motorhome since I picked it up from Brownhills April 2017.
Road Pro for Motorhome WiFI and rear mirror camera . Daventry. One journey total 228 miles.
AL-KO levellers at their factory in Southam, nr Daventry. Two journeys total 500 miles.
Services and warranty checks Johns Cross near Robertsbridge 2018, 2019, 2020, and 2021. Eight journeys. Total 700 miles.
Watling Engineers, St Albans. Tow bar 90 miles.
Glide Rite Liphook, one journey 110 miles.
in June I am returning to Brownhills for Body repairs. 225 miles.
Total 1,853 miles out of the 18,500 travelled.
I do not begrude any of these miles and supplier was chosen to get what I thought was the best service based on advice and help from Funsters (and Simon-Alan Kerr). price also did not play a part as I have learnt from this forum that if you canā€™t do it yourself, get the best possible to do it for you.
Reading other posts I think that distance does play a part in decisions made, as does price.
Am I right?

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
We traveled from SE Scotland to Van-Bitz (Taunton) for our alarm and we went to Derby every year for hab check. The levelling system will be fitted at SAP (Doncaster).

We treat these events as holidays :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
I donā€™t have much faith in the main dealers, I had a problem with a turbo overboost and going into limp home mode, as it was under warranty took it in, complete wast of time, no fault found, suggested they take it up a long hill to duplicate the problem, Wrotham hill on the M20 or Reigate hill on the M25, answer was they are not on our normal road test routes,
Took it home and fitted a new turbo and have happily used her now for 11 years,

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
In 2.5 years and 2 hab checks, one service, 5 dealer warranty trips and 7 visits (so far and counting) to the local Fiat dealer for repairs, my total extra mileage on the van is 2,240 from an odometer reading of 11,099.

However, Nicky and I have had to use a car for the drop offs and pick ups so that adds a further 1,900 to our personal vehicle.

We have therefore driven 4,140 miles just to keep our PVC on the road.

........or Ā£631 in diesel.

Wow, shocking!

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
In 2.5 years and 2 hab checks, one service, 5 dealer warranty trips and 7 visits (so far and counting) to the local Fiat dealer for repairs, my total extra mileage on the van is 2,240 from an odometer reading of 11,099.

However, Nicky and I have had to use a car for the drop offs and pick ups so that adds a further 1,900 to our personal vehicle.

We have therefore driven 4,140 miles just to keep our PVC on the road.

........or Ā£631 in diesel.

Wow, shocking!
Now look at it as if it was a car on a pcp deal? That amount of mileage out of a fixed amount you'd be taking them to court.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Now look at it as if it was a car on a pcp deal? That amount of mileage out of a fixed amount you'd be taking them to court.

You make a great point sir.

In our case there's also the number of full days out to cover such tasks.

All in all it can be a proper PITA if the dealer is not close.

All the best,

Andrew

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back