How far in advance to book return-only ferrry? (1 Viewer)

Jun 10, 2013
Sussex
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Festivals
I'm just starting to plan our first tour of continental Europe. I've not driven a car on the wrong side of the road before and initially I thought we'd have a trial tour of say down to the Loire and back, but life being short and sense not one of my strong points, I thought we'd instead drive to Calais and then Loire, Spain, finishing up in Portugal. I don't know if we will then drive back or if we would get the ferry (eg I may have gone off driving / motorhoming by then). I think we will start the tour September and probably finish Oct/Nov, how far in advance should we think of booking a one way ferry back from Santander to the UK?

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
I believe that the ferries from Santander/Bilbao to UK for next summer are not available to book until around this November.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
I believe that the ferries from Santander/Bilbao to UK for next summer are not available to book until around this November.
If the OP means this Nov, then the winter schedule comes out sometime this month, June.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
ToBoldlyGo
Jun 10, 2013
Sussex
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Festivals
Yes I do mean this year, but my question is really how *late* could I book the trip back, ie I want to see how frazzled I am by going down before I decide how we're going to get back ... orperhaps it's not practical to book with only 1-3 weeks eg notice ...

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
just turn up and you get the next available ferry.
sometimes you turn up last minute and there is a place you might get a reduction in price .

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Yes I do mean this year, but my question is really how *late* could I book the trip back, ie I want to see how frazzled I am by going down before I decide how we're going to get back ... orperhaps it's not practical to book with only 1-3 weeks eg notice ...
As this is a once a week ferry it's not too practical to wait for the next ferry! But in answer to your question space for your MH will likely be OK but it's cabin availability that will be a control factor. But I would say 2 weeks gives you a margin, in high season they can be full to the gunnels.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
As this is a once a week ferry it's not too practical to wait for the next ferry! But in answer to your question space for your MH will likely be OK but it's cabin availability that will be a control factor. But I would say 2 weeks gives you a margin, in high season they can be full to the gunnels.
santander to portsmouth is three a week.
santander to plymouth is another one .
best use plymouth then you can very often just pay for a seat.

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Most of the ferries going from the UK to Spain during October and November will be quite busy as those of us who Winter there will be on one so by contrast they will not be as busy going back so you could leave it until the last minute. However if you do pick a ferry and book online it's very easy to change the sailing to another one .

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
Most of the ferries going from the UK to Spain during October and November will be quite busy as those of us who Winter there will be on one so by contrast they will not be as busy going back so you could leave it until the last minute. However if you do pick a ferry and book online it's very easy to change the sailing to another one .
op asked about ferries from santander .
i would say that way they are quiet .
at that time of year not that many want to come to uk .
but if towards end oct ,begining november it is school holidays .

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
op asked about ferries from santander .
i would say that way they are quiet .
at that time of year not that many want to come to uk .
but if towards end oct ,begining november it is school holidays .
That's what I said.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
That's what I said.
yes. i agree with you . just thought the school holidays might mean some coming back etc could busy it up so best avoid school holiday time . i just worded it badly . sorry.

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
yes. i agree with you . just thought the school holidays might mean some coming back etc could busy it up so best avoid school holiday time . i just worded it badly . sorry.
Never considered school holidays as I thought that they went back in early September.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
half term bonfire night hoildays . some squeeze a short break in before winter sets in .
still nice in northern spain and can be quiet . ideal for wilding .

Jandc

Free Member
Oct 31, 2010
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
lowprofile
Exp
Since 2008
Remember that any insurance, house, health etc may require proof of length of holiday if you need to claim at all. I always book flexible return so I have evidence of return plans within the time limit.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back