Jun 1, 2016
Ferndown, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Laika Kreos 4009
Exp
Since early 90's
Hi All,
After visiting France in our MH this year for the first time we are definitely hooked, I am not sure how this question is going to work but here goes:
(Disclaimer: forgive me my geography is rubbish)
If i were travelling to France, how far would i need to go down until it was warm enough to sit outside of an evening without jumpers or coats, maybe in a Tshirt :)
I understand seasons change but lets work "on average" or even "in your opinion" the two months in question would be:

May & September

thanks in advance, hope my post makes sense.

Mark

Clickem

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years
Was once told that there was a weather line along the river Loire. North of the Loire the weather is very similar to southern England, below the Loire is better

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
Inland colder in winter, hotter in summer. Coastal milder in both seasons. Possibly more important than latitude

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I'd second the idea the Loire is a good starting point for warm weather. Of course you can get warm weather say in Brittany in May or September but there is no doubt the further south you go the warmer it generally gets and the more likely you are to have good weather.
But whatever plans you have made, be ready to move to chase the sun. :)

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
In the hope of keeping grockles away the weather in the Lot is dreadful all year round. :p :p :p

There is no guarantee of good weather anywhere at any time of year but here is my two pennorth about 2017.

September is usually a good month, this year we were trolling around the Aveyron and Gers and it was warm (up to mid 20s - it does not become hot until the mercury hits 35 or more) mostly dry, only 4 part days of rain when we moved site, and IMHO could not have been better but 2018, who knows?

Mid-May to mid-June was spent in Belgium hot and dry.

On returning home our grass had been fed steroids and the fields and verges were the same, usually a testament to water and sun, so it seems that we had better weather by going away.

But OP you have an MH so stick a pin in the inland map and if the temp etc are not to yr liking move on.

p.s. suggest that you stay away from non-moving lakes and rivers in Sept lest the mosquitoes carry you off

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
We always go in June & Sept for about 3 to 4 weeks each time.
Always had very pleasant warm weather , ranging from mid 20's to just touching the 40 mark.
that's doing Loire area , Brittany , Mid France Clermont Ferrand area & Gironde also Ardeche / Millau.
Having said that this year due to circumstances ,
we went late sept & early oct ,
weather was mostly dry with just the odd shower , but cold at night & only a few days was shorts weather.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
We go over May/June most years. On arriving in Calais we shop and buy a national paper with a seven day weather forecast then decide where to go.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Download several weather apps to your phone, Meteo France is good, and just go to where the weather looks best.
May and September are usually good although this year we had the worst September weather in France that I can remember. However, we just kept going south until the sun stayed shining. :)

Richard.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Weather was very good for us in September and October in France this year. Spent lots more time there than we normally do that time of year. Isle de Re was very pleasant, as was Royan, and the Gironde Estuary from 22 September through to the end of the month. Then we went on to Spain and Portugal, falling the warmer weather. On our way back the weather was good again and we were strolling around Le Crotoy on the Somme Estuary on 15 August with our shorts and T shirts on.

Mr B

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 1, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065ff Design Edit
Exp
Since 2015.......
If you are from Yorkshire, anywhere in France will be T shirt weather all year round ;)

Mr B

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 1, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065ff Design Edit
Exp
Since 2015.......
If you are from Yorkshire, anywhere in France will be T shirt weather all year round ;)
See, told you....
7304439B-BF2E-4AA0-A2B6-A627433D5539.jpeg

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
You just never know, we have left Spain beginning of May and it's lovely other years still like winter, same in September nothing is guaranteed. :rolleyes: :D
Today in Javea Spain is 28c

Screenshot_20171027-162455.png

Tomorrow a party starting at 1300 and highs of 21c and might even rain in the evening. :eek: :LOL: Bob.

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Weather was very good for us in September and October in France this year. Spent lots more time there than we normally do that time of year. Isle de Re was very pleasant, as was Royan, and the Gironde Estuary from 22 September through to the end of the month. Then we went on to Spain and Portugal, falling the warmer weather. On our way back the weather was good again and we were strolling around Le Crotoy on the Somme Estuary on 15 August with our shorts and T shirts on.
I really need to check my typing before I post!. We were following the warmer weather not falling. And we were in Le Crotoy on the 15 October, not August. That is why we were so surprised about the weather.

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
We’ve been in France since early September - Normandy, Brittany, and now on the Loire near Tours. Had lots of T-shirt and shorts weather, including yesterday.

Aug 11, 2012
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 1975 on and off.
Crossed to Cherbourg this year 1st Sept weather not brilliant, down to La Rochelle area still not good , only sun at that time was Narbonne area to Spanish border so off we went. Stayed good for next 3 weeks and didn't feel the need to cross to Spain. By the end of the month the middle had warmed up and stayed a couple of nights in Dordogne where it was 27 degrees.
Just keep your eye on the forecasts and be prepared to move to follow the sun.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I agree with @mitzimad about south of Bordeaux for a better chance of warmth, although Charente-Maritime just above has rarely let us down in Spring and Autumn.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
We’ve been in France since early September - Normandy, Brittany, and now on the Loire near Tours. Had lots of T-shirt and shorts weather, including yesterday.

Our plan this year was to meet up with friends in Britany, so we headed there beginning of September and spend 6 weeks travelling through France before entering Spain, :rolleyes: we had so much rain we abandoned the idea a went to Portugal at speed :eek: where it was 30c. :LOL: Bob.

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
Our plan this year was to meet up with friends in Britany, so we headed there beginning of September and spend 6 weeks travelling through France before entering Spain, :rolleyes: we had so much rain we abandoned the idea a went to Portugal at speed :eek: where it was 30c. :LOL: Bob.
I’m surprised - we have had some rain, but only on a few days, and overall we’ve had some fabulous weather. Perhaps the poor weather in Brittany had gone before we got there. Brilliant sunshine again today, in Amboise, on the Loire, but cooler than of late.

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013

You should have stayed a bit longer. The last 2 weeks in September were lovely in Western France where we were.

Lafant

Free Member
Jan 9, 2013
Cardiff
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
We go to provence most summers. In recent years, northern europe has had dull, wet weathet and we found it got better south of Lyon.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
You should have stayed a bit longer. The last 2 weeks in September were lovely in Western France where we were.

;) We couldn't stop any longer we had started to go rusty. :LOL:

I seem to remember there was a wide band of rain when we were there, shame really because we last did Britany in 2009 and had lovely weather. :) Bob.

CamperCol

Free Member
Aug 18, 2016
Funster No
If you want to almost guarantee the sun head for the Med, south of France is only about 800 mls from Calais

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
We have a place in Burgundy, roughly "halfway down" France.

May tends to be better than UK but can be showery.

September can be lovely! In our area the grapevines are changing colour and, together with the leaves on the trees, can be beautiful.

October can be good but I would avoid November to April if you are seeking warmth.

jimlagos

Free Member
Mar 17, 2014
Redditch England
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
I've just returned from touring down to Lagos in Portugal. Lagos reached 37 degrees (too hot for me)
I generally tour over there three times a year, totally unplanned. When I arrive in Calais, I decide whether South. North or even West depending on temperature. I rely totally on free Aires, even in Germany or Denmark. I've found some excellent places by not having pre-planned.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back