How easy is it to travel through Europe in a Motorhome. (1 Viewer)

Mar 21, 2021
Funster No
MH
C
Hi
Hi to you all.Just wondered if I could get some advice from the people that know.
Me and my wife are looking at getting a m/h.Then when time is ok with covid.
Traveling around Europe for about 3 months.
We have two big dogs.which we will take.
Just wondered how easy it is.my main concern is finding places to stay in walking distance to towns beaches.Is it worth towing small car.we are both very new to this.so any advise would be great.
Many thanks Tim

Sep 2, 2014
Near Colchester, Essex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo
Exp
12 years
Sweden is an incredible place to motorhome--- wildcamping is so easy and safe--- a huge amount of places have long-drop loos,good to empty cassette BUT no chemicals---- been twice in recent years but not used a campsite.
At the other extreme in europe we loved Portugal so much we now live here!!!
Sad thing is that because of suspected bad behaviour by campervan wild camping is totally banned---- but portugal like most of europe has a good amount of aires and campsites---- sweden and Portugal have really good quiet roads------- so there is your 3 months trip to Sweden and through europe to Portugal 😀😀
Because we take it for granted I forgot to mention that most Europeans are incredibly friendly---- especially Swedes and Portuguese--------
When you have got into your trip you will wonder why you even asked about doing it!!
Now all we need to do is wait and dream until it is safe to travel after covid😥😥 it will over soon 😀😀😀
(We hope!!)
We were looking at Spain this year but with the total mess the eu have made of the vaccine rollout, :mad: it is not looking good for this year, and perhaps next year as well. We will throw ourselves at the mercy of the UK campsites. ££.

Attachments

• roses are red.jpg
    roses are red.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 67
Upvote 0

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
Jut off-topic a little bit:-
It seems that Holland does not have Aires or their equivalents and all places to camp are paid for ie. no free places?
Is this correct
I can’t say I know any more than you, other than that the Dutch and all
Netherlanders are really prolific wild campers, can’t really see them doing all their camping on commercial sites somehow, they don’t seem to like paying out a lot in site fees, perhaps someone knows more than me.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
We were looking at Spain this year but with the total mess the eu have made of the vaccine rollout, :mad: it is not looking good for this year, and perhaps next year as well. We will throw ourselves at the mercy of the UK campsites. ££.
'Rose are red,
Violets are blue,
Now stand over there
In that long passport queue' (y)

Steve

Upvote 0
Jan 17, 2021
Essex, UK
Funster No
MH
Phoenix 8800
Exp
Since 2004
Jut off-topic a little bit:-
It seems that Holland does not have Aires or their equivalents and all places to camp are paid for ie. no free places?
Is this correct?

As far as I'm aware, there are no equivalents to 'aires' in The Netherlands and the caravan sites, although very well equipped, are quite expensive. However, we have used the marinas for many years and have never been turned away. Many of them have large areas used for winter storage of boats that are mostly empty during the touring season. They usually have electricity and water supply and usually make a moderate charge by the metre length of your van. We have occasionally just parked in a street for the night when visiting friends and, on one occasion, on top of a dyke. If you have bikes on board it's an excellent country for cycling as long as it's not too windy.

Upvote 0
Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
Just a quick point on seats, at your price range and desired size it is likely that the van might be on the older side, be aware that vans advertised as being 4 berth may not have 4 belted seats as when they were built there was no requirement for rear passengers to wear seat belts, so whilst it may or may not be considered legal to carry passengers unbelted in it, your insurance is likely to only cover you for the belted seats, it is difficult to retrofit seat belts in most cases. So when you go and look at some make sure it has enough belts for all your passengers.

Upvote 0
Jan 25, 2017
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1962
Just sign on here up for great information, then take your time deciding what you need most in your motorhome a 7mtr is a good size and fits easily in most places. Touring in Europe is so easy and well catered for you will enjoy the open roads and welcome from locals. I would recommend that you have a refillable gas system in the van as it makes life so much easy. So welcome to the club and enjoy the freedom of the open road.

Upvote 1

Paddington

Free Member
Oct 31, 2019
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Vw transporter
Exp
The ability to move around and find parking really depends on the size of the motorhome you are thinking of buying. If you are planning on buying one of these bus size vans then I'd say that could be problematic...lots of narrow streets in old French villages. If you are thinking about something the size of a peugot boxer, then plenty of parking available in village aires or supermarket carparks.

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2014
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Overhead cab
Exp
8 years
Don't know if anyone has mentioned ACSI. You get a book of hundreds of campsites all at reduced prices. Good to have along with everything already recomended.
We were nervous on our first trip and went from Portsmouth to Roscoff the first time on the ferry. It's a small port and easy to get out of. Calais is big and confusing.
Also now there are loads of restriction about what you can take in the way of food (almost nothing!). There are lots of supemarkets and town markets so you won't starve. You just don't want to get stopped by French customs.
There have also been discussion on here about dog food. Just use the search facility on here or wait for someone to com along on this thread with the answer.
We've been travelling around for 12 years and will do it again as soon as we can. Magic.

Upvote 0

Conrad J

Free Member
Jul 10, 2020
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 646
Exp
Since 1999.
Bit of a funny question, to be honest. "Europe" is a large area and very varied. Ask yourself what's it like "finding places to stay in walking distance to towns beaches" if you were visiting the Uk, including the Highlands, East Anglia, the Lake District, south-east England, Cornwall, Snowdinia, the midlands. Get my drift? All depends preciscily on where you're thinking of going. Think you need to do a lot of research. Have you looked into pet passports, how to travel with dogs, legality of towing a small car? Maybe try an extended trip in UK first, you've time on your hands as it'll be a long time before "time is ok with covid."

Upvote 0

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Good luck!
For dog friendly beaches there are several websites you cna find, but the Spanish resorts have introduced bans on many beaches for hygiene reasons and many of these are year round so be warned. Example info: https://www.travelnuity.com/dog-friendly-spain/
There's a whole new proceedure for taking dogs into/out of the EU which I presume you are aware of.
Towing a small car is a whole discussion in itself as there appear to be differnt interpretations of the acceptable/legal way to do this. Plenty of discussion online if you search. I could be ironic and say "buy a caravan" rather than tow a car, no offence. We just use electric bikes, buses and feet to move around our chosen campsite. We don't use Spanish aires, too crowded and dirty.
Use Campercontact for your overnight stop locations. https://www.campercontact.com/en
It's excellent and kept up to date.
We don't use Spanish aires, too crowded and dirty.

I'm astonished that you've posted this. I guess Spanish Aires must be more variable than we've found, but the ones we use are excellent. Overall, we find Spain far cleaner than France.

Upvote 1
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
We don't use Spanish aires, too crowded and dirty.

I'm astonished that you've posted this. I guess Spanish Aires must be more variable than we've found, but the ones we use are excellent. Overall, we find Spain far cleaner than France.
Do agree with the dogs bit though in northern Spain. We decided not to bother with Spain again until we no longer have a dog.

Upvote 0

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
You'll save on the ferry, diesel and insurance, which will compensate for the cost of the campsites!

Upvote 0

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Do agree with the dogs bit though in northern Spain. We decided not to bother with Spain again until we no longer have a dog.
We’ve found quite a few beaches where dogs are permitted.

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
We’ve found quite a few beaches where dogs are permitted.
But it was also some shops nearly all bars all but one restraunts etc where dogs weren't welcome as opposed to France where we could take him into most places including tourist info offices etc. It could be we were in the north of Spain away from more touristy areas but they didn't seem to get the idea of a largish dog being a pet.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
You'll save on the ferry, diesel and insurance, which will compensate for the cost of the campsites!
Still reckon a 6 week trip to Spain will be ½ the price of staying in the UK. Even without taking into account all the savings on food & booze.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Still reckon a 6 week trip to Spain will be ½ the price of staying in the UK. Even without taking into account all the savings on food & booze.
I really can’t see how that works.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
A 6 week trip costs around £20 to €50 in camping fees ocassionly can top just over a €100 if we stay on a site for a few days to visit friends. 3 course meal including a bottle of wine €10-€15 each, they charge you that for just the wine in the UK, fuel in Spain around 25-30% cheaper.
I based it on doing an extra 2000 miles which was probably too genous.

And let's not forget from October through to May we can wear shorts and enjoy ourselves rather than sit in the van freezing our butt's off.

Upvote 0

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
A 6 week trip costs around £20 to €50 in camping fees ocassionly can top just over a €100 if we stay on a site for a few days to visit friends. 3 course meal including a bottle of wine €10-€15 each, they charge you that for just the wine in the UK, fuel in Spain around 25-30% cheaper.
I based it on doing an extra 2000 miles which was probably too genous.

And let's not forget from October through to May we can wear shorts and enjoy ourselves rather than sit in the van freezing our butt's off.
I still can’t see it. In the UK we tend to wild, use pub stops or CLs. Our favourite CL is £12.50 per night.

You don’t go as far in the UK, so fuel is much less. To get to Spain you need a ferry or tunnel, where is that cost included? We also have insurance costs.

Upvote 0
Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
I still can’t see it. In the UK we tend to wild, use pub stops or CLs. Our favourite CL is £12.50 per night.

You don’t go as far in the UK, so fuel is much less. To get to Spain you need a ferry or tunnel, where is that cost included? We also have insurance costs.
Yeahbut.. you're still stuck in the crowded UK, with it's appalling road network, as opposed to the relatively empty roads of (for instance) France, where driving for me is a pleasure, and part of the enjoyment.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp

Return ferry around £150 (Newhaven/Dieppe) did it a couple years ago for £79, 20 mile drive to Newhaven and we are on Holiday. No additional insurance costs. Most of the Aires we stay on are free or we wild a few we pay €5 to €10 for.

Where can you get a 3 course meal for two including a bottle of wine and often coffee as well for £17 - £20.

You haven't mentioned the most important thing the weather, we normally go away September/October then again Feb/March where can I find 20°-30° at that time of year in the UK?
Couple that with it being a pain in the butt to use a van in the UK, you can't just drive into a town or village park to go site seeing. Never a problem in France/Germany/Spain/Portugal.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Take the South of France versus Cornwall in height of Summer, only 2 people.

France £120 return on ferry. £400 diesel camping costs for us nothing, or next to nothing £520 total.
Cornwall diesel for me £100 means I have to find a campsite for 6 weeks for £420. Food, electric, water, remain the same, but alcohol would be a saving of maybe £3 a bottle of wine so theres £120. Gas would be a saving of at least £40 so i would now have to find that campsite for 6 weeks to be cheaper than £6.19 a night in Cornwall, and that is before I have to pay £6 a day to park near a beach or buy NT. Plus Cornwall will be packed and France likely to be less busy than usual (hopefully)

The weather is significantly better, the views are better, the way of life suits me better, I can decide whether I want to be in the mountains or by a lake or at the sea or in a city as non financial rewards, and if I wanted to go to a site in Cornwall, I would have bought a caravan as it makes more sense if I were to park up for 6 weeks. We end up saving more money than when we are just living in this country.

I have no idea of how much a campsite is in Cornwall per night in August but have heard of £50 ???? I m sure i could find one about about £20 if I looked hard enough if there is any space left. Even at £20 a night thats £840 on my cornwall bill.

And I am tighter than Lenny HB so that wont get wasted in a french restaurant ! (y)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Return ferry around £150 (Newhaven/Dieppe) did it a couple years ago for £79, 20 mile drive to Newhaven and we are on Holiday. No additional insurance costs. Most of the Aires we stay on are free or we wild a few we pay €5 to €10 for.

Where can you get a 3 course meal for two including a bottle of wine and often coffee as well for £17 - £20.

You haven't mentioned the most important thing the weather, we normally go away September/October then again Feb/March where can I find 20°-30° at that time of year in the UK?
Couple that with it being a pain in the butt to use a van in the UK, you can't just drive into a town or village park to go site seeing. Never a problem in France/Germany/Spain/Portugal.
I absolutely agree about the weather but I thought we were discussing the cost?

The bottom line is, we spend less here than when we do Spain. £12.50 a night for a CL is where we’re at, or a pub stop, or a FLT. We wouldn’t spend £50 a night 😂

Upvote 0

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
In our case probably only because we can't afford to eat out here.
6 to 7 weeks in Spain cost us about £2k - £2.5k, I reckon 6 to 7 weeks in the UK would cost us more.
We splash out on fish and chips here and sometimes a pub meal. In Spain we eat in much more. I love their fresh salads and vegetables and the fresh fish is amazing. We shop daily for fresh produce, I love their markets. When I say eat in, we cook and eat outside, which I really enjoy.

Upvote 0

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Yeahbut.. you're still stuck in the crowded UK, with it's appalling road network, as opposed to the relatively empty roads of (for instance) France, where driving for me is a pleasure, and part of the enjoyment.
I can't argue with that but when it comes purely down to costs, it's cheaper for us to holiday in the UK.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back