How easy is it to travel through Europe in a Motorhome. (1 Viewer)

Mar 21, 2021
Funster No
MH
C
Hi
Hi to you all.Just wondered if I could get some advice from the people that know.
Me and my wife are looking at getting a m/h.Then when time is ok with covid.
Traveling around Europe for about 3 months.
We have two big dogs.which we will take.
Just wondered how easy it is.my main concern is finding places to stay in walking distance to towns beaches.Is it worth towing small car.we are both very new to this.so any advise would be great.
Many thanks Tim

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
I can't argue with that but when it comes purely down to costs, it's cheaper for us to holiday in the UK.
Yes, that's fair comment, although the longer one stays in Europe, the 'cheaper' it becomes.

We spent nine weeks touring in 2019, and cost us about £2000 all in, including the Euro tunnel costs.

Upvote 0
Mar 14, 2019
Sutton Coldfield but East Yorkshire man at heart
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest155
Exp
Since 2018
Welcome Tim & Mrs Tim! We too are new to motorhomes [still looking for one!], so people with more knowledge will be along shortly to advise! Elaine and I have toured France sa campers, trailer tenters, folding caravan owners, and latterly as Touring Caravan owners. French Municipal Sites [originally owned by the Municipal/Local Authority, but many have now been privatised] offer sensible stay prices [often with free/reduced rates for the Municipal Swimming Pool], and are invariably situated within the proverbial spitting distance of the Town Centre. We love Amboise, Chauvigny, Montoire sur le Loire and Montmorillon and lots more! Post COVID, you will have a great time! Who knows? We may have actually found a motorhome ourselves and be following you down the road!

Steve & Elaine
Having read the French take up on vaccines I would avoid the country as I avoid the covid plague

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Having read the French take up on vaccines I would avoid the country as I avoid the covid plague
I did say 'Post COVID' ... I do some daft things, but buying a first motorhome and then running the COVID gauntlet ain't one of them!

Steve

Upvote 0
May 26, 2016
north wales
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
moderate
Hi
Hi to you all.Just wondered if I could get some advice from the people that know.
Just wondered how easy it is.my main concern is finding places to stay in walking distance to towns beaches.Is it worth towing small car.we are both very new to this.so any advise would be great.
Many thanks Tim
Pick your 3 months carefully. Avoid July, August, September like the plague because everyone else in Europe will be doing exactly the same thing. In my experience, March, April & May is the quietest time to go (still can be busy though).

Upvote 0
Nov 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Challenger 287GA
Exp
Since 2020
Tcodd My strong advice is to "try before you buy" so to speak. What I mean by that is that when you have had a look around at the various types of vans, the multitude of different layouts etc etc etc, and when you have found something that you think might work for you, rent one as similar as you can possibly find to that model for a week. We did exactly that and in fact there's a video of it in my signature. The van we eventually bought was completely different in size, layout, engine, age....nearly everything. The rental showed us that what we thought we wanted didn't actually work for us and what we wanted to do. We still had a great holiday, so the rental money wasn't at all wasted, and it saved us a fortune in buying a van that wouldn't have fitted our requirements.

Upvote 0

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Pick your 3 months carefully. Avoid July, August, September like the plague because everyone else in Europe will be doing exactly the same thing. In my experience, March, April & May is the quietest time to go (still can be busy though).
We like going at the end of August, spending September and October in Spain. It’s lovely to have all that late summer sunshine. September isn’t that busy where we go.

Upvote 0
Dec 20, 2010
birmingham
Funster No
MH
kon-tiki 669. mazda bongo
Exp
since2011
As of yesterday I could get the van from storage to home for a clean. 6, miles best trip that I have had In 5 months:giggle::giggle::giggle:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Apr 20, 2012
Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Allegro 83
Exp
since Feb 2012
A picture paints a thousand words.

Welcome to a maps.me of available places in europe.

About 60 per cent are free in europe and if you have 2 hands you can count the uk ones.

Different world over there

View attachment 475528
If that is Maps.me I didn't know it existed (and I'm a long-term user), please advise how to access?

Upvote 0
Nov 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Challenger 287GA
Exp
Since 2020
suavecarve Would you be able to share that info with me as well? Or maybe start a thread with the information to prevent you from sending a thousand PM's to other interested parties?!

Upvote 0

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Hi
Many thanks Tim
Just had a thought about your dogs, some big dogs are banned in Europe. It's worth checking.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T
Mar 21, 2021
Funster No
MH
C
They are German shepherd s.Just checked.Think they are ok.
Was worried then.
Thanks for the Tip.woulded have thought about that.

Upvote 0
Aug 20, 2020
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Home Car P59
Exp
I'm a newbie
France is absolutely superb for motorhomes! Completely the opposite to the UK. Nearly every town or village has a campsite / aire Pick somewhere nice, pitch up, crack a cork or two, get your sun loungers out and relax! Perfect. (y)

2019 we went to Normandy in a Mustang , the reason I now have a motorhome and not a Mustang is exactly that

Every evening wherever we went on the coast the motorhomes were parked up with people just chilling

2020 stuffed , 2021 stuffed , 2022 hopefully

Upvote 0
Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
Greetings peeps welcome from Bexley

You are about to change your life for a better one😀

Upvote 0

Paddington

Free Member
Oct 31, 2019
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Vw transporter
Exp
Probably been mentioned already but don't be tempted to stay overnight on a motorway stop. Find a site or an aire well before you need an overnight stop
I find this interesting......as a solo female I often overnight en route to my destination by staying in motorway aires....ok I chose the ones with a 24 hour shop...But I've never had a problem or been scared and I am by nature a very cautious person.

Upvote 0
Mar 29, 2014
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
We had personal experience of an attempt to break in during the night. Thwarted oy by the ratchet strap I place between the door handles. Since then I've read & heard of many similar situations. Glad to know you've stayed safe though

Upvote 0

Raymond Bonello

Free Member
May 20, 2017
MALTA
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
6years
Hi
Many thanks Tim
Hello. Every time you go in and out you have to make an appointment with a vet to issue certificates for your pets. This is of paramount importance as you can be stopped on entering a country and asked for certificates. I once had in mind to tow a car but decided not to as it was a great hassle, although this is still on the drawing board. Enjoy your holidays after Covid 19 is cleared up. Ray

Upvote 0
Jun 5, 2020
New Forest, United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-I 414
Exp
4 years, travelling to Greece each year and exploring on the way and back
Still reckon a 6 week trip to Spain will be ½ the price of staying in the UK. Even without taking into account all the savings on food & booze.
Yup, and you won't have crap British weather to contend with, and you will have decent roads to drive on.

Upvote 0
Oct 8, 2016
Tunbridge Wells
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
I'm a newbie
A question I’ve pondered many times. We usually pick sites based in part on their location and access to villages/towns/restaurants etc. I personally wouldn’t tow a car since once we’ve pitched we’re happy to splodge out and read or go for walks. In the event we wanted to visit somewhere special we would hire a car. I also feel it’s a more relaxing drive knowing all you have to worry about is just the vehicle you’re driving and not have the extra worry of your tow setup.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back