How do you travel with a dog? (1 Viewer)

Dave_E

Free Member
Sep 21, 2019
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie
We travel with two dogs awesome and a lab.When travelling they wear a harness which we plug into the seat belts of the travel seats.

Dave_E

Free Member
Sep 21, 2019
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie
Not awesome a west Highland.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Caggsie1

Free Member
Sep 2, 2013
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2008
Like a lot of people on here, the Mh was bought so that we can take the dogs with us. We even take the cat. Ours are safe to be left without risk of the Mh being chewed and they’re not tappers. I certainly wouldn’t leave a pup on its own for any length of time. We’re looking after my adult kids dogs at the mo, two pups at same time. We can’t even go the loo! My experience with dogs and kids is they mix very well. Enjoy.

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
When our dog was a puppy, we had a boat. To make her feel safe, we used a canvas kennel for her. We used this in the car as well. She was crate trained at home. On the boat, she slept in the canvas kennel and if we left her to go shopping etc., we left her in there. When we were at sea she would sit in the cockpit with us but when she'd had enough, she would ask to go down below by standing and looking down there.

Gradually as she got older, she spent less time in the crate at home and less time in the canvas kennel on the boat. Once we were sure she was past the chewing stage, we stopped using both.

The first time we left her loose in the boat, she'd had a whale of a time chewing every bit of paper she could find, including the book I was reading. So back in the canvas kennel she went, just for a bit longer.

She loved the boat and was very settled, even at sea. I think if you introduce your dog to lots of new experiences, in a safe way, when they are puppies, they can get used to most things.

When we sold the boat and bought the motorhome, she settled in straight away.

155061_157897660920445_2352279_n.jpg

30963_106036429439902_3097990_n.jpg

OP
OP
errpaul

errpaul

Free Member
Feb 27, 2009
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
11 yrs
Thanks to everyone for your replies. It's good to hear of different experiences. Our kids are desperate for a dog, and have been wanting one for a number of years. We feel they are the right age now and the benefits to them in having a dog are huge.
We know we will have to adapt, but we were not sure how much. I guess that's also down to training and the individual personality of the puppy we get. We got our kids to write down why they want a dog, and what having a dog will mean for the family. Our girl (7 in a few days) wrote a page of A4! Our just turned 10 year old wrote a very balanced piece with pro and cons but also solutions. We were very impressed with how much thought they have put into it. They even wrote that we wouldn't be able to go to Disneyland (we go in the motorhome and stay in the car park) if we had a dog!

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Thanks to everyone for your replies. It's good to hear of different experiences. Our kids are desperate for a dog, and have been wanting one for a number of years. We feel they are the right age now and the benefits to them in having a dog are huge.
We know we will have to adapt, but we were not sure how much. I guess that's also down to training and the individual personality of the puppy we get. We got our kids to write down why they want a dog, and what having a dog will mean for the family. Our girl (7 in a few days) wrote a page of A4! Our just turned 10 year old wrote a very balanced piece with pro and cons but also solutions. We were very impressed with how much thought they have put into it. They even wrote that we wouldn't be able to go to Disneyland (we go in the motorhome and stay in the car park) if we had a dog!

seems to me you are already committed. you have done a lot of homework. now make sure you do the same on choosing the dog and as important the dogs breeder and if you are able meet the dogs parents.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
They even wrote that we wouldn't be able to go to Disneyland (we go in the motorhome and stay in the car park) if we had a dog!

They have kennels the dog can stay in.......

So you can. 😂👍

Send us some pictures of the puppy. 😍

OP
OP
errpaul

errpaul

Free Member
Feb 27, 2009
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
11 yrs
They have kennels the dog can stay in.......

So you can. 😂👍

Send us some pictures of the puppy
Will have to take a look at that at some point in the future. That could be perfect. Do you have any experience of using it?

I shall most definitely post some pictures :giggle:

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Will have to take a look at that at some point in the future. That could be perfect. Do you have any experience of using it?

I shall most definitely post some pictures :giggle:
We haven’t I am afraid, COVID stopped us last year.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We have had dogs longer than we've had MHs, we got into MHs due to attending classic car rallies etc and not wanting to stay in B&Bs or tents but then discovered the joy of holidaying in a MH with our dogs and wouldn't have it any other way.

We don't worry about leaving ours for a good few hours, even when we get inadvertent delays (over 5 hours once) when we got back they weren't bothered in the least, in fact I think they were annoyed that we'd disturbed their lovely long snoozing!

Make provision for the dog depending on where you are and the temperature and there won't be any issues, a good long walk to tire them out before hand with a bit of water when you return then a quick potter just before you are about to leave for their ablutions (due to drinking the water) and all should be fine for a good while.

Make sure the dog has it's own 'space' though so that if it decides to go there it is left alone to snooze if it wants to and join in when it is happy to do so.

As for the heat in the MH, this can be sorted fairly easily with many of the suggestions already given, but rather than just closing the blinds to keep the heat out (they don't really cut the heat down much), in addition we use silver heat shields/screens on the windscreen, side windows and roof vents (even when open) and this really does reduce the heat in the MH a lot, we've done this for many years so know it works well. Just getting some of the silver 'bubble' type sheeting and cutting it to size for your windows will do the trick, it doesn't have to be anything fancy.

Jan 30, 2014
Midlands
Funster No
MH
IH 630 FL
Exp
Ours goes everywhere with us, big dog, but can curl up small in her space. She even goes on chair lifts abroad when going up the mountains for walks. We have an outside swing and sits on this with us so the chair lift is similar she doesn’t even think about it, just gets on and off we go

Alfie159

Free Member
Mar 11, 2019
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 2019
Exp
Your children are at the prefect age to play their part in taking care of a dog, learning skills of kindness and sharing of course.
A soft collapsible travel cage and when you arrive dog learns to wait patiently in there all safe whilst the humans set up up and get sorted.

just like children don’t spoil them and let them rule the roost! Everyone’s place is fair and none more important that the other in the family tribe.

beaches.... shade for a dog and lots of water. Being out on very hot days.... pick carefully where you go... fields next to a river to dip feet in better than beaches and less hectic.

dogs and tourists go hand in hand but don’t be offended when not allowed inside with a dog that is not for assisting those with additional needs. The laws quite clear and good places have standards to adhere to. Country pub .... I take a camping towel to dry muddy paws and for lying in if allowed inside..... no one wants pub floor smelly or dirty and it’s respectful.

generally dogs attract lots of requests to strike or touch dog so teaching dog to be nice and that children have right level of stranger caution tricky but gets better as children grow up.

please do t leave a dog in van for more than nippiMH to supermarket or local shop or for a shower. If on sites with club.... get a video monitor like for babies for cooler evenings.

little dogs don’t do masses of long walks and exercise so insider a poochie back pack... Yorkies especially tire quickly

dogs and children need their own quiet space.... foot well or the travel cage if room allows time out

dogs are an amazing addition to any family and live how serious you’re taking the responsibility

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back