How do you tell an E bay seller is not from China when buying? (1 Viewer)

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
Can anyone tell me, apart from the obvious, its in Chinese lettering, how to tell a seller is not from China? I have just purchased a water bottle carrier for my bike from E bay with the filters UK only and UK seller in the buying criteria and after purchase get an e mail in Chinese script and a 7- 10 day delivery date. Nothing though the transaction until payment sent has indicated that it was from China, yes I know in all probability it will have been made in China and not anti Chinese products but rather annoyed that I have been mis lead, its no use complaining to e bay as if site removed another will pop up asap! Any tips or clues please to avoid this trap.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Buisness selers have to give their info, bottom left under "Business Seller Information", just above Returns Policy. Under Postage it will say the item location so you know where it is being posted from.
If it's coming in 7-10 it must be shipping from the UK as from China it would be 6-8 weeks. Lots of Chinese sellers use UK drop shippers.

Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
We have Bought a fair few things from China to be honest...Cannot say a bad word against the dealers we have dealt with for the items we have received.
A few things I have bought direct from China especially for the old cars we have stored . The items are very well manufactured and a portion of the price you pay here in the UK
Its purely a personal opinion but I have no issues with them

kev

Aug 4, 2019
North East Riviera
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Enough to Survive
We have Bought a fair few things from China to be honest...Cannot say a bad word against the dealers we have dealt with for the items we have received.
A few things I have bought direct from China especially for the old cars we have stored . The items are very well manufactured and a portion of the price you pay here in the UK
Its purely a personal opinion but I have no issues with them

kev
I think the OP‘s issue is with the 7-10 days delivery rather than 2-3, not the fact it’s made in China.

I‘m the same....being an impulsive impatient type 😂

I quite often pay slightly more for the item with prime next day delivery for Chinese products stored in Amazon’s warehouses.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

wanderer

Free Member
Apr 14, 2008
huntingdon
Funster No
MH
a class Arto
Exp
since 2008
The other problem is when you receive shoddy goods and want a refund . In the past I have always used PayPal but after 2 issues with defective goods from China and expecting me to return at my cost , I escalated to PayPal’s resolution centre and found that I lost the case because I refused to supply return details . I now take every opportunity to not purchasing anything from the shysters

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
I,ve bought many an item from china and via uk postal drops with no real problem even with faulty items, refunds with no quibble. The last item i bought from Manchester had no instructions it took four emails trying to say there are no instructions all i wanted was an electronic copy pdf or photo or a url. The 4th included a pdf i found on internet id allready installed the device with info on youtube. The company obviously Chinese based with a uk address,allreplies with a Chinese timeframe.The main problem is lack of English they just work off a script with no understanding. If i wasnt buying from manchester it would be my problem. I thus understand the op perspective.
By the way in the end they offered me 20% off.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
The other problem is when you receive shoddy goods and want a refund . In the past I have always used PayPal but after 2 issues with defective goods from China and expecting me to return at my cost , I escalated to PayPal’s resolution centre and found that I lost the case because I refused to supply return details . I now take every opportunity to not purchasing anything from the shysters
If you use eBay Resolution Centre immediately you will find the seller has to arrange return provided the goods are defective or not as described.

Aug 23, 2019
Shropshire, Market Drayton, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 634
Exp
since 2017
Can anyone tell me, apart from the obvious, its in Chinese lettering, how to tell a seller is not from China? I have just purchased a water bottle carrier for my bike from E bay with the filters UK only and UK seller in the buying criteria and after purchase get an e mail in Chinese script and a 7- 10 day delivery date. Nothing though the transaction until payment sent has indicated that it was from China, yes I know in all probability it will have been made in China and not anti Chinese products but rather annoyed that I have been mis lead, its no use complaining to e bay as if site removed another will pop up asap! Any tips or clues please to avoid this trap.
You can often tell from the item description. Usually quite obvious it is not written by an English speaking person.

Falcon 269

Free Member
Jul 11, 2013
Melton Mowbray, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I use AliExpress more than ebay to get all manner of goods from China. So long as you don't mind waiting a couple of weeks for delivery, it's a no-brainer cost-wise. I get regular e-mails showing the progress of the item through the shipping process and they're very reliable.

I do use ebay to compare prices of identical items and in most cases, the ebay price of a China-sourced item is double what AliExpress charge. Example: I've just bought 2 golf impact nets from AliExpress at a cost of 23 euros per net delivered (free shipping) compared with £41 for the one identical net from a UK-based ebay seller.

Finally, I've never had a single quibble from AliExpress sellers about non-delivery or the one faulty item I received (out of many dozens of orders). Cost refunded immediately. They are so sensitive to their review rating, it's not worth them doing anything else. :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back