Mar 16, 2017
Telford
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu T460
Exp
Feb 2017
Good evening everyone,
Traveling to France (Paris) and wanted to know about French "Post Codes", do they use Post Codes ? and if they dont how do you set your Sat Nav ?
I see some sites give Long/Lat but when i look on Google earth the Long/Lat is completely different ?
Advice please.
Thank's
Dave

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
They do have codes, but don't forget to set your satnav to "france" when you get over the channel. Not sure if this applies to all satnavs, but it does on mine ~(garmin)
Cheers, Dave(y)

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Good evening everyone,
Traveling to France (Paris) and wanted to know about French "Post Codes", do they use Post Codes ? and if they dont how do you set your Sat Nav ?
I see some sites give Long/Lat but when i look on Google earth the Long/Lat is completely different ?
Advice please.
Thank's
Dave
There are various format for co-ords. This here might help understanding. https://www.maptools.com/tutorials/lat_lon/formats
Depends on the format\s your sat nav supports.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
If you have one of the more recent Tomtom units you generally can just enter the Long and Lat as it is suggested and it will recognise it. You select 'search' then click top right on 'Whole map' and select Long and Lat from the list of options offered. You may have to scroll down to select Long and Lat. This will then give you a screen to enter the details and it will show you the Long and Lat of you current position in 3 formats.

With the Garmin you may have to set it to the Long and Lat format you wish to enter.

Aug 14, 2013
Département 87
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since about year 2000
Post codes in France are, as far as I know, all 5 numeric digits. Each code covers quite a large area. e.g. our code of 87230 covers the main town of Châlus plus four, five or six outlying villages.

With regard to coordinates, it is possible to change the format in Google earth. In "Tools" select "Options" and then you can see the various format choices.

J

OP
OP
MacroMad
Mar 16, 2017
Telford
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu T460
Exp
Feb 2017
Dave, Gellyneck, DJA, Pilote87 thank you very much.
Appreciate it.
Dave

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Can you provide the name of the Sat Nav you have. It should be in the operates manual. Or try U Tube. Here is an example for Garmin.

OP
OP
MacroMad
Mar 16, 2017
Telford
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu T460
Exp
Feb 2017
We have two, both are TomTom, one is old but i like that one, and one bought in Frankfurt when the old one lost all the maps and would not update.
I'm sure i can sort it now, thank's for all the advice.
Dave

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Uk post codes are very specific but the French ones art too general for navigation. They are like only the first (outward) part of our postcode. You can put one into some SatNavs but they'll simply take you to the centre of that area, which could be a mile or more from where you need to be.
You could set where you want to go to by map or else use coordinates (some site provide these).

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
We have two, both are TomTom, one is old but i like that one, and one bought in Frankfurt when the old one lost all the maps and would not update.
I'm sure i can sort it now, thank's for all the advice.
Dave
You can download the Tom Tom manuals on line for free. They have a section covering how to input Lat & Long and it's quite easy to follow.
I've just bought the Garmin Dogs Bo**icks and the user manual is a sodding minefield. Then again perhaps I'm as thick as pig shit !

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
Outside of the Cold And Wet Little Island, postcodes in all of mainland Europe cover a much wider area, often a whole town/village.

The automatic sorting systems bundle all the mail for "xxxxx" postcode together and send to that town/villages post office.
Then they break it down into areas/streets for delivery.

Go by satnav lat/long or by dropping a pin at the exact spot on the map that you want to get to, not by postcode.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back