How do you plan your trips? (1 Viewer)

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
Sort of, planning to go to France this year, got ACSI book also Aires of France, thinking of going late may to early June, but still undecided, where to go from Pompy is ten miles away but more expensive, so its that or ferry or tunnel, if I go from Porsmouth, taking fuel and crossings into consideration, it,s £136 more expensive (decisions :Cool::bigsmile:ecisions) what would you do?, i am traveling on my own in my VW Campervan:Cool::RollEyes:.............Del
find a nice woman to share the costs

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
Sort of, planning to go to France this year, got ACSI book also Aires of France, thinking of going late may to early June, but still undecided, where to go from Pompy is ten miles away but more expensive, so its that or ferry or tunnel, if I go from Porsmouth, taking fuel and crossings into consideration, it,s £136 more expensive (decisions :Cool::bigsmile:ecisions) what would you do?, i am traveling on my own in my VW Campervan:Cool::RollEyes:.............Del

Going from Pompey might seem more expensive......

BUT, compare that with the mileage and time to get to Dover, then the same from Calais to somewhere interesting like Saumur on the Loire, and there's no difference. Except you've added 300+ miles to your odometer, unnecessarily in my opinion. Portsmouth -> Cherbourg is hard to beat from where you are, and Portsmouth port is so civilised compared to Dover. If going to Cherbourg, you will probably be last on, but first off due to height issues with the boat they use.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Works out more than £680 cheaper for us to go DFDS instead of Santander..
Take off your fuel etc and it is still in excess of a £320 saving..

If I had wanted a boat and spend time at sea I would have bought one instead of the van :winky:
Part of any trip for us is the travelling in the van..the sights, the sounds, the peoples of the places we stop at.. Doing half the trip by boat somewhat detracts from that experience :Smile:

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
only planning done here is for uk travels, and that is usually a pain and only needed cos of traffic, I always allow at least an hour and half more than its supposed to take to get somewhere. For travel in europe just book ferries in advance and the last stop before coming home due to having the dogs and them needing checking in France (though this year it will be different and the window now is from 5 days where as before it was a 48/24hr window for the dog check) other than that we decide either the night before or on the day to move on to somewhere else. There are campsites/aires a plenty so we will always find something but we never travel in Europe in July /August time as that is their peak time when most of Europe is on holiday so sites are usually very busy and can be very noisy. We also use camping cheque sites and Acsi sites plus some of the municipal sites which tend to also be good value on the whole

novawight

Free Member
May 14, 2010
Hayling Island
Funster No
MH
hi top,
Exp
on and off 50 years
Going from Pompey might seem more expensive......

BUT, compare that with the mileage and time to get to Dover, then the same from Calais to somewhere interesting like Saumur on the Loire, and there's no difference. Except you've added 300+ miles to your odometer, unnecessarily in my opinion. Portsmouth -> Cherbourg is hard to beat from where you are, and Portsmouth port is so civilised compared to Dover. If going to Cherbourg, you will probably be last on, but first off due to height issues with the boat they use.[/QUO

Thank you, you have convinced me ( So its Pompy for me ) a bit of Britany andd down to the Loire, or whatever............Del

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back