How do you pack your campervan? (1 Viewer)

Dec 17, 2019
St Leonards, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu
Exp
Converted caravanner!
As a newbie with a 6m campervan I’m interested to hear of any advice on storage and packing solutions.
Our van has a rear fixed bed and has lots of space underneath. So far just got a load of plastic storage boxes and filled with stuff.
But with a bit of spare time now and having put the Cadac and chairs in, it’s got a bit congested and dare I say going to be a lot of rattles.

Reactions: f6c

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
I'm a fan of plastic boxes & after a few trips you get used to what needs to go where, bearing in mind frequency of use etc.

As for rattles, some wrap things in bubble wrap, tea towels, etc. But I just turn the radio up?

• Funny
Reactions: f6c
Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
As I did my own conversion I was able to create what I call vertical storage by just moving the rear fixed bed down the van by only 4 inches, that does not seem much but invaluable for longer items including such as the Fiamma winding pole.
049CCA0C-C9AB-4A62-A1FF-A76D7CFBFFD2.jpeg
2C41B166-6DDB-4838-A4B2-1F240677130E.jpeg

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
As for rattles, some wrap things in bubble wrap, tea towels, etc. But I just turn the radio up?

When I started to drive, that was always the essential accessory in all vehicles we owned and ran - the Anti Rattle Device. Motorola ones were very popular.

It was - and still is - so successful motor manufacturers started fitting them to all new vehicles, worldwide.

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
We found that after changing from a large a class to a pvc 6.4 metre we had to Change the way we packed as their simply isn’t the room to take loads of stuff that we were used to having to hand.this means a lot of trial and error and a large reduction in almost all but essentials and after a few trips things are now at a happy medium .We bought three large plastic boxes with lids and stack them in the shower these contain the all the kit and caboodle and when we get to the site they go in the awning.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ctc

Oct 12, 2015
Crowle
Funster No
MH
Hymer b680
Exp
New
Depends on the direction of travel, going every thing in the garage packed and strapped, returning thrown in to be sorted just before the next trip.

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
I'm a fan of "a place for everything, and everthing in its place".
Store it where it will travel. Things that are needed often should be easy to get to. Dont take more than you need. Size equipment in realtion to storage space, eg dont buy big expensive chairs when you cant store them. A 6m van is huge when you move from a bongo. In the bongo we had different strategies for different periods an different equipment not required with such a huge van. Create storage shelving sized to fit your needs (obviously this will change)

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
Been motorhoming for fifteen years, still never seem to pack the same from one trip to the next. Still keep forgetting things and then realise when unpacking we took stuff we didn't need. Wife has check lists but does not make much difference. Trouble is all those 'just in case' things and then borrowing things from the van and not putting them back. We are thinking of buying a second set of things to keep in the van, like tooth brushes, but do not want to stretch the budget that far.

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
As I did my own conversion I was able to create what I call vertical storage by just moving the rear fixed bed down the van by only 4 inches, that does not seem much but invaluable for longer items including such as the Fiamma winding pole.

I hope you told your good lady that it was 7 inches?

I agree with you, I designed my van (but got someone else to do the conversion) I found that my 5.5m van works great, for me, because of the little touches that make it perfect. In my case it's the crash helmet holder & the top to bottom solid wood down one side, so with hooks, etc, I can hang motorcycle leathers, unicycle & anything else on it

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
Been motorhoming for fifteen years, still never seem to pack the same from one trip to the next. Still keep forgetting things and then realise when unpacking we took stuff we didn't need. Wife has check lists but does not make much difference. Trouble is all those 'just in case' things and then borrowing things from the van and not putting them back. We are thinking of buying a second set of things to keep in the van, like tooth brushes, but do not want to stretch the budget that far.

I have a spreadsheet with different tabs, for each type of trip (motorcycling/paragliding/wintersports/shows/race meetings/normal weekend away, etc.)

As a permanent work-in-progress, it even details what tools to take dependent on what motorbike I am taking (massive tool kit for classic race bikes, enough to adjust the chain & check/inflate the tyres for modern road bike)

So far, touch wood, using this method I've never forgotten anything important

Hils and Glenns

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 13, 2015
N Yorks
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 674
Exp
Since 2015
Buy some packing cubes they will revolutionise your packing experience.
Use for clothes. I'm a big fan of packing cubes too. Working out the sizes you need is another matter. I find the smaller ones the best ie one for knickers one for bras/socks one for tops one for shorts trousers etc. Helps if they fit in lockers.
Amazon product ASIN B014VBHUJ2

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
We don't use anything from the house in the van. Specific set of everything which lives in it permanently including hairdryer, electric toothbrushes, shaver, beard trimmer (inverter charged, make sure its PSW or poof!) Only things that come in or out are clothes, bedding, towels and perishables. Theres even a few meals in there (tins etc)

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
We are thinking of buying a second set of things to keep in the van, like tooth brushes, but do not want to stretch the budget that far.
Go on, spoil yourself. You know you're worth it.

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
2nd set of everything and leave it in place, have separate invantories for different uses.
Our 6m van doesn't have a garage but a ski locker accessable inside and out. The area on left is tall and not particularly deep. On the inside the top half is the wardrobe cupboard area. The rack is designed to pack the milenco ramps and door step last as the pair that are first and last. White Water pipe box then easy to get at. This storage alows use of one pair of seats but not the preffered pair we used with the folding camper.
tmp-cam-6039144349230909687.jpg
tmp-cam-8814842493377178753.jpg
tmp-cam-2751907746191796429.jpg
tmp-cam-8445274187342736212.jpg
tmp-cam-8344361962600742185.jpg

p
tmp-cam-2698286299385727267.jpg

Last edited:

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
Vacuum bags and bubble wrap works every time, have a look on line or on certain Quite Valuable Crap (QVC) websites , worth a visit to the Warrington outlet if passing, the best jumble sale you have ever been to. But the storage bags every time and get a cheap vacuum to suck the air out!

AXO66

Free Member
Oct 6, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Chasson 510
Exp
We pack ours carefully, Flattening it out on the floor and then align all the creases , ease it into it’s bag and lift into the boot of the Car:LOL::LOL:

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
Buy wine in box’s no rattling and perfect packing
thank you Dazzlin “professional drinkers”

Whilst I accept that we all have different tastes in wine, as well as many other things - but I don't think that stuff in boxes should be allowed to be classified as wine!!! ?

I'm happy to find space for the bottled stuff & put up with the rattling

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back