How do you motorhome in the UK? (1 Viewer)

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
Out of idle curiosity, I just tried to do a dummy booking - 11 Aug for 4 nts, no problem, hardstanding or grass... admittedly not over a weekend.
:unsure:.

My annoyance is sites closing over Jan-Mar
I've not been brave enough to "wild"... nearest I've got is overnight at the Sealife carpark in Scarboro... and I didn't sleep well.

Must admit I don't get this "club sites are too regimented opinion nor too expensive". Perhaps because I'm solo but "commercial" sites are always more pricey.
the more you do it the more comfortable you will be, I wild a lot as I plan very little so far so good but my first summer is approaching hoping the visit the Hebrideas so think maybe I'll have to book boats in advance. But as I have the van I am happy to travel on the ferries at odd times and its only a little van so...…..

Jun 10, 2019
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 1978
Haven't stayed on a campsite in the UK for years, there are hundreds of places to wild/free camp and have never had any problems. Quite often we park in quiet residential roads but make sure we find areas that are not in front of peoples houses therefore not causing any problems. After all, what's the difference between a householders vehicle parked on the road and a motorhome. Have also wild camped in Europe when we haven't been able to find and aire, again with no problems.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Haven't stayed on a campsite in the UK for years, there are hundreds of places to wild/free camp and have never had any problems. Quite often we park in quiet residential roads but make sure we find areas that are not in front of peoples houses therefore not causing any problems. After all, what's the difference between a householders vehicle parked on the road and a motorhome. Have also wild camped in Europe when we haven't been able to find and aire, again with no problems.

I once parked in a residential street in London with a valid visitors parking permit on it, and got a complaint.

Where?

Outside the front window of my own house Oh Please!!

Some people?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I once parked in a residential street in London with a valid visitors parking permit on it, and got a complaint.

Where?

Outside the front window of my own house Oh Please!!

Some people?
Thats not even unusual in the "good ole USA". My son has a file of stuff from what he describes as the "Neighbourhood Nazis" about Parking an R-V adjacent to his house in Texas. We used to bring the R-V from storage for cleaning and loading, sometimes it was there just overnight, occasionally a couple of days. always some busy body peeking from behind the drapes!. Travelling France in winter, we have had to overnight in the gateways of closed campsites and famously the car park of the local cemetary. (mind it was exceptionally quiet and the neighbours didn't complain!.)

Jun 17, 2019
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
One a newbie
Makes very interesting reading for me as this year will be our first one in a camper after 4 years in a caravan. I’m apprehensive about wild camping but will give it a go when in Scotland for 2-3 nights then a cl type site for a nite and go from there?

Dec 5, 2017
York, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 745
Exp
Almost approaching average
When the Google Photo Was taken it looks as if a Rally was On? in the Rugby Club Traing Ground next door. Wonder which club uses it?.
Club is North Ribblesdale. Yorkshire div two after being relegated last year. I’ve graced that field on the odd occasion in the past....
Nice friendly place.

Oct 17, 2016
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Tribute T715
Exp
Since 2010
I have used Jasmine at Sutton on Sea and for us it’s really good as we take a tow car plus it has all we need at a good price and of course the Hard Standing and EH is handy in winter.
also used a site near York “ The Hollies “ but no HS or EH but at £7 a night you can’t grumble at that.

Oct 13, 2016
Grays - Essex - UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Hymer B680
Exp
Been moho’ing for a time now
we've been camping (tenting) and motor homing now for quite a few years, most of our "aways" are in the UK, either Norfolk, Lincoln, Dorset and Devon,, probably 80% of our travel time is in the UK, but we are ALWAYS in Europe (Germany, Holland and Belgium) for the month of June

Nov 22, 2018
South East but not London
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Five years plus three tugging
Nearly always hop the channel or the Irish sea. Only done England once and that was to get some work done on the bus in Lincs

The site was fine, but it didn't feel like motorhoming because people spoke English. I like to use my twenty words each of French, German and Italian on holiday.

This year, we are toying with the idea of jumping the Solent in October.
Do we need a passport and jabs?

Dec 31, 2017
South East
Funster No
MH
Burstner T690G
Exp
Caravanner 40 years. Motorhome 8
The difference is that we don’t sleep, cook, use toilet, etc in our cars!

Aug 12, 2011
Funster No
MH
Roller team 700
Exp
Since 2007
OK...I’m new here... what is “CL and CS” ?

Thank God you asked, I've been scratching my head the last ten minutes wondering the same!

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
CL is certified location and CS is certified site. It’s what the CMC and the C&CC call their small, 5 van sites.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
CL is certified location and CL is certified site. It’s what the CMC and the C&CC call their small, 5 van sites.

Edit it it while you can - if you can spot your mistake.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back