How do you keep your Van/MH under cover at home? (1 Viewer)

Apr 25, 2016
Soham, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Consort Oslo
Exp
Since 2016
Our van is parked on a gravel area next to out double garage, which is fine in terms of security etc, and is level.
However, I have always been keen to get some kind of cover for it, to at least cover the roof, to help keep the weather off a little and all the bird sh@t that they seem to have a game with seeing how much they can deposit on said target?
Have thought about trying to get some sort of carport set up along side the garage, but at 2.7 metres high plus a bit for clearance etc, would be looking at say 3 metres in height. Just wondering what others may have done, or constructed to help keep some of the elements off. Not really keen on covers, as feel that they have too many downsides. Would prefer something that you can drive in and out of.
I know its not doing any harm standing outside, but just interested to see if others have any good ideas.
Thanks.

Jan 22, 2019
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Adria PVC
Exp
Rented a few times...now an owner.
I thought about this when we got our van, but couldn't solve it.
Pulling a cover over a van, unless both are spotlessly clean, would do more damage to the paintwork.
Any semi permanent structure was at risk of coming down in the storms and doing far more damage.
A permanent structure would cost £000's

I decided to spend nothing, put the money away, and repair anything that needs doing in the future.

OP
OP
Nigel L
Apr 25, 2016
Soham, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Consort Oslo
Exp
Since 2016
I thought about this when we got our van, but couldn't solve it.
Pulling a cover over a van, unless both are spotlessly clean, would do more damage to the paintwork.
Any semi permanent structure was at risk of coming down in the storms and doing far more damage.
A permanent structure would cost £000's

I decided to spend nothing, put the money away, and repair anything that needs doing in the future.
Yes, totally agree about covers, which is the very reason i have discounted them.
You have sort of confirmed what i am thinking, but was just interested if anyone has come up with a simple solution.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I think it is best left in the open & washed occasionally. Often under a carport the crud builds up on the roof and doesn't get the rain to give it a bit of a wash off. Particularly bad if you have houses with wood burners near you.

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
I think motorhomes are designed and built to be outside. I keep mine at home outside and it seems to be doing ok. The cars also seem to manage outside. I do however keep my motorcycle in the garage but that’s because it’s the most important vehicle ??.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
We built a MH-port. We had a row of outhouses next to what had been a garage with an inspection pit but had been demolished. The roof of the outhouses was not high enough so we had short brick pillars built on top of the walls to carry a beam for the port roof and ground-up pillars the other side of the roof, for another beam then corrugated sloping roof.

We did think of supporting the roof on timbers, but went for brick as being more endurable long-term.

It is 3.25m at lower side for our 3m MH. Rain run-off on lower side is onto a flower bed.

I think it is the best solution as it keep the rubbish off it, and the sun, but allows ventilation through and we can open windows to ventilate the interior.

We then extended the electrics from the outhouses to outside to a proper EHU fitting. We also have a grey water drain in the yard and a toilet next to an under-house garage for cassette emptying, so we are well set up.

Of course being Poland the cost to build was reasonable, but I cannot remember exactly what.

Geoff

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
I cover my motorhome with Autoglym twice a year (other products are available) ?

May 20, 2015
Newbury
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham
Exp
Since 1970
Ours is parked beside the garage under a timber frame with corrugated plastic roofing which appears to let sufficient light for the solar panels. It’s many years old but necessary as we are surrounded by a shooting estate with birds being driven over our house to the guns. Discovered lead shot reacted with the roof of earlier vans leaving pitting in the finish. Also as far as pooing pheasants resemble flying elephants

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
I've seen a lot of these types of roof in the USA.

If you google RV covers or RV carports it should give you some ideas.
I've also seen RV ports that are like the polytunnels farmers use, just narrower and higher.
Think you may need to take a look at some agricultural buildings catalogues to see what is available.

1588182734817.png

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back