How do you get your Prescription in France (1 Viewer)

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
When we get travelling again how do you deal with getting your prescriptions abroad.
Since we last went to France we are both now on permanent daily medication and hopefully going to France mid July for 2 to 3 months if allowed. Can you get 3months supply. ? If not.
How do you get your medication?

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I was only reading a couple of days back that the cross border prescription for UK people is no longer allowed.
As above you need 3 months worth to take with you.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Our GP will give 3 months to cover a long holiday. Alternatively try getting ahead a bit with your medications although you've left it a bit late for that now but worth doing over the next year before next year's holiday!

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years
Our doctor will only give 2 months prescription.
But we can order online every 6 weeks and build up the required supply, if you start soon enough.
Your dr might prescribe 3 months as a one off if you ask nicely?

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
If you cannot get three months, consider a family member to get a repeat prescription after 2 months and get them to post them to you. We have done this in the past. We got our daughter to remove all the tablets from the boxes and just post the blister packs. Packed down nice and small into a jiffy bag and posted.( daughter did not make comment about the blue ones:love:)

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
I can understand why, if someone drops dead after a month then that’s 2 months of drugs wasted as they cannot take them back

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
Pharmacist explained it to me. Its around waste in that there are times when the Dr changes your meds having issued three months then the old ones are wasted. We travel long periods away and get three months without any issues. The Dr insists on a quick blood test and review prior to us setting off on long trips. So we then can get extra sent out via post. We also take the repeat script list with us in case we have need to visit a local Dr. In Spain we have bought replacements over the counter as the meds we are on for blood pressure and are very cheap.

OP
OP
Fragle
Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
Pharmacist explained it to me. Its around waste in that there are times when the Dr changes your meds having issued three months then the old ones are wasted. We travel long periods away and get three months without any issues. The Dr insists on a quick blood test and review prior to us setting off on long trips. So we then can get extra sent out via post. We also take the repeat script list with us in case we have need to visit a local Dr. In Spain we have bought replacements over the counter as the meds we are on for blood pressure and are very cheap.
I suppose the NHS app would do the job now as that has all our information for the doctors on it including vaccines.
Our biggest problem is the better half has had a stoma and the amount of stuff she requires would be difficult to post discreetly

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
I suppose the NHS app would do the job now as that has all our information for the doctors on it including vaccines.
Our biggest problem is the better half has had a stoma and the amount of stuff she requires would be difficult to post discreetly
I appreciate my method may not fit all. Now we are out of the EU even sending a parcel with any meds has now got problems

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Just seen your question. First of all, if you have your english prescription with you or a copy of it, any pharmacy in France will give you at least a renewal to help you ( a few days or more) . Only thing you will have to pay for your tablets.
Now if you want a 3 months more prescription, you have to go and see any French doctor , show him/her your prescription and he/she will give you a renewal . Doctor visit is 25 euros, then you pay for your medication at the pharmacy
Hope this answers your query

Amicalement
Frankie :giggle:

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
That’s nice to know but I think a lot of people want them free like at home, that’s why a lot want the 3 months in one go

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
I guess so, but this is a solution in case your are desperate and in need of your usual medication. Since brexit, I suppose nothing will be as easy as before.

Eggs

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Suffolk
Funster No
I guess so, but this is a solution in case your are desperate and in need of your usual medication. Since brexit, I suppose nothing will be as easy as before.
You are a diamond on all things Frenchy on this forum, fortunately I don't need meds, my brother does though and he travels in/through France regularly.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
In France do they pay for each individual drug or is it one payment regardless how many drugs ?

OP
OP
Fragle
Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
Just seen your question. First of all, if you have your english prescription with you or a copy of it, any pharmacy in France will give you at least a renewal to help you ( a few days or more) . Only thing you will have to pay for your tablets.
Now if you want a 3 months more prescription, you have to go and see any French doctor , show him/her your prescription and he/she will give you a renewal . Doctor visit is 25 euros, then you pay for your medication at the pharmacy
Hope this answers your query

Amicalement
Frankie :giggle:
Many thanks Frankie. This helps greatly and will ease the stress levels if we start to run low. We will still try and get our supplies before we travel if possible (paid for not free) just for continuity.
Fortunately for us we have not had to use any other healthcare before so have no previous experience of How it all works. Thanks again for the help and information.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
The €25 you pay the doctor includes his fee for writing the scrip. You then pay the pharmacist the retail price of each different drug. Some drugs in either France or Spain that we need a prescription for though - they don't need a scrip for but can buy them from the pharmacy OK if you can either explain to the pharmacist what's wrong with you and need the drug for - or easier to show them a copy of your existing repeat prescription list. Some things are ridiculously cheap and some ridiculously dear.

Even when in the EU, because we had to pay the same as a French or Spanish etc national to visit a GP - we still had to cough up approx €25 for that anyway - so there's nowt different there.

Nov 24, 2017
Greater London
Funster No
MH
2021 Burstner TD680G
Exp
Camping , caravanning, campervaning for 10 years
I appreciate things may have changed since Brexit.. 2019 in France walked into a small village pharmacy with the repeat part of my UK prescription asked for 6 months of each of 4 tablets and voila.... all done. Not an eyelid batted and the cost was really quite reasonable. 3 for BP and a statin so common drugs I guess. And a bloody big carrier bag of pills

Dec 1, 2015
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Low profile Coachbuilt
Exp
Twenty years
I take enough tablets to cover my trip and a little longer, this gives me time on return, not to run out of them.

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
I had my heart attack in Spain in January 2020 and was banned from driving for 1 month after the operation, so delaying our rreturn to Scotland. The Surgeon explained that he could only prescribe medication for 1 month from discharge, so that gave me 1 week's margin to drive up through Spain, France & England before medication ran out, whilst following the Surgeon's advice not to overdo the driving! It was not going to be possible, so had to take a calculated risk by leaving 1 day before the driving prohibition expired to ensure that I could reach home before the medication ran out ... 'And avoid stressful situations' were the last words from the Surgeon, IIRC ...

Steve

Mar 31, 2014
Stratford-upon-Avon, UK
Funster No
MH
BUCCANEER CARAVEL
Exp
SINCE 1975
Got to Barfleur and wife discovered she had left her thyroxin behind in the Uk! I went into local pharmacy!And explained situation! No problem! Gave us 1 months supply 2 euro.Same thing in Spain! Brother in law forgot his heart pills.Got some the same!

Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
We’ve had a cottage in France for over seven years, just take the repeat slip and the box three different types to the chemist 11 Euros. Been to several different chemists

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Your doctor should agree to give you 3 months, mine does so long as I can tell them the approximate date I'll be returning to the UK so that it shows that I do need that much.

If you pay for your prescriptions thing about getting a Prescription Pre-payment Certificate (its all electronic so no physical certificate/card is issued), I get a 3 month one which, with careful ordering, I can get enough to last at least 4 months usually 5, but even if I have to have 3 x 3 month ones it still works out cheaper than a 12 month one.

I can order repeat prescriptions on-line and have some that I get in one month issues and one in 2 month issues, the former can be ordered 3 weeks after it was last issued and the latter 7 weeks, so this allows me to build up a 'buffer' amount. I hasten to add that I wouldn't do this for meds that may be changed every now and then due to wastage and unnecessary cost to the NHS, but for my usual ones which I've been on for a long time and will continue to be it makes sense.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back