How Do You Get Higher Up The List In Google? (1 Viewer)

Aug 14, 2007
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta K-Yacht 80
Exp
Since 2005
Hi Internet thingy boffins,

We are re writing our web site, here is the old one:

SOUTH WEST INSTRUMENTATION....24 Hour Pressure Transducers....

My Son is telling me that via google Adwords you can pay per 'click'. What this means is when someone clicks to visit your web site based on a search you pay a set amount of money. You can decide how much money this is going to be and depending on how many other people are using it and how much you pay you get higher up the list!

The question is, does anyone else use this and is it worth it. Or do you have a better method and lower or no cost of doing the same.

Best regards

Chris

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
PPC is OK but as soon as you stop paying your gone. Search Engine Optimisation SEO is a science and as the search engines continually change their algorithms it just gets harder. Google wants to present their customers with the most relevant search results and there are millions of SEOs trying to use the sytem to ensure Google presents their details above others. In the first year of this site I spent at least an hour most every day on SEO. Now I suppose I only spend an hour a week but it stil has to be done.

Its all about optmising your site to please Google and building inbound links, reciprocal links don't impress google any more. Nor do links that come from link farms, a one way link to a motorhome site, from a motorhome site, is worth a thousand reciprocal links. (That is why i do not allow full urls in posts pointing to the the dark side:Smile:)

There are companies that will get you to the first page on Google for search keywords of your choice, but be carefull, if they use black hat techniques (against Googles rules) you will get the famous Google Slap. If your site is slapped you will not show up on google at all:Eeek:

Have a look here and Link RemovedBest of luck:thumb:

OP
OP
G2EWS
Aug 14, 2007
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta K-Yacht 80
Exp
Since 2005
Hi Jim,

Many thanks for your elaborate answer to my question.

Makes a lot of sense but a bit gobbledegook for me so will pass onto Daniel.

I did out of interest search for motorhome forum and you and the other site came up tops, so you must be doing something right!

Best regards

Chris

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

nozzmoking

Free Member
Jul 31, 2008
West Berkshire
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Since 2008
Hi Chris

Good pointers there from Jim.

With regards to the SWI site, you could do worse than work on some basic onsite SEO (Search Engine Optimisation) yourself. The beauty of this, as opposed to Adwords, is that it's only your time that's involved, it doesn't cost anything else.

I see you supply quite a few different products, and the 'trick' is to establish which 'keyword/keyphrase' (the term that people would mostly use to locate your service) is apt for your business.

I don't understand your products however, as an example, if we take 'transducers' as your main keyword, then the home page needs to be 'optimised' for that keyword.

We refer to the title of a page, or the site description as a 'tag'. One of the most powerful tags is your title. I would suggest dumping South West Instrumentation, as this is taking up valuable keyword space in your page title. Consider getting your main keyword in the title 2 or 3 times, interspersed with other related keywords. e.g. Transducers, 6700 Transducers, Pressure Transducers etc.

You're already using this keyword in your site description tag, (which is hidden from view, but Google often uses this in its search listings), as in: 'Pressure Transducers, Pressure Transducer in 24 hours'. You could expand on this by making the description a logical, (people-friendly) sentence(s).

Google then needs to scan your home page to figure out what the site is all about. At present, you have no decent keyword-stuffed content. So you need to get your writing cap on and produce some useful content, that has your main keyword showing a number of times. Not only does it help Google figure out the site purpose, it also helps the end user who's just arrived at your site.

You do exactly the same, (Title, description, unique content), for each of your product pages. This will help Google to direct traffic to other pages of your site.

Incoming Links: a link from another (related) site to yours, is a 'vote' of confidence, as Google sees it, so it's important to work on this. A good place to start is by looking at some of your industry's main professional trade bodies, such as Corgi for gas installers as an example. If you can ask them for a one-way link back to your site, (which presently has no incoming links) then Google will pick up on this, and index your site also. This is an ongoing task, which you can do at your own pace, as time permits.

Don't submit your site to Google, get at least one relevant incoming link, and Google will do the rest.

To recap: Keywords (in title, description, content) & Incoming Links will be a good start.

Make sure any content is your own work, as otherwise if it's already on the web, then Google will probably discount your content as it's not original. Write for the end user in mind, (not forgetting to put the main keyword/keyphrase in logical places), and you'll be fine.

When researching your keywords, and remember, try and think like the average person doing a search, also check out your competitors and see what keywords they're targetting.

Give Google plenty of fodder, and you'll be rewarded with extra traffic.

Although SEO is a massive subject, it's not rocket science just common sense - and a lot of hard work on your part, or whoever you employ to make the changes.

I would suggest splitting your products page into separate pages and targetting (using the above methods) each individual product on its own page, with plenty of content possible describing the applications the product can be used for.

Just noticed that you have a lot of outgoing links to other sites on your products page. You might want to rethink this strategy, as you need to hold onto people once they arrive at your site.

I notice your site was first registered in 1999. This is good news for you, as the older the site, the more chance of getting really good rankings, provided the onsite SEO has been addressed. You're currently missing out on some really good traffic.

Hope this helps a little.

Paul

TonyIsh UK

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Funster No
Just to follow the advice above. Also add in the headers ""slang " words for the items, common miss spellings of the items and items that be used with the item. Example lid if selling pans.

It all helps to point to the site

I havwe no idea what you would sell transducers with ;-)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back