How do you fix a cracked shower tray??? (1 Viewer)

Dec 8, 2013
Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral
Exp
Since 2015
Just been away for a great weekend at Borth and er 'indoors discovered a crack in the shower tray while she was cleaning (she must have been hiding from the sun!).

Anyway, said crack is around 2 inches long and looks like a stress fracture although it might have been impact damage from the rollers on the screen door bumping off the top rail when we go over jumps and the corner of the screen door hitting the tray.

Van is an Adria Coral and it doesn't look like there is any easy way to remove the tray without dismantling the bathroom and I can't get to the underside in-situ.

Any suggestions as to what we could use to effect a repair from the top?

Thanks in anticipation of some very clever suggestions!!! ;-)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We had a cracked shower tray in our Globecar but it was removable without having to take out loads of the washroom fittings, however when the dealership removed the tray it broke into 3 pieces as it was well and truly stuck down to the floor!

If you can put a picture of your tray it would help us to make suggestions as to how you could fix it yourself.

Reactions: f6c
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
If your shower doors jump off the track as mine did until I held the doors closed with a loop of thinnish shock cord so they can't move in transit. Might help once you've fixed the tray.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
Photos of the damage?
In some cases it might be possible to inject epoxy resin into the crack to fill any void below and thus make it waterproof and really solid, thus even though the crack will still show it will be only a cosmetic fault.

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
I Cable tie the shower doors together before each journey

OP
OP
Hooflungdung
Dec 8, 2013
Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral
Exp
Since 2015
DE933D4F-5A76-4523-B746-35F59550C77D.jpeg
Thanks for the responses. - I have left a voicemail for Speedcoat and emailed them so hopefully will get a response this am.

Here is the pic of the damage. When I went to take the photo just now I noticed that there is another crack which radiates out from the larger original crack. Not sure if this has occurred since we noticed the original crack yesterday or if we just didn’t notice it. Looking at the photo I am fairly sure this is impact damage from the door dropping off the rails.

We drove about 50 miles home yesterday and so looks like the vibration is making it worse. Planning to got to Upton this weekend so need to get it sorted pronto!

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
As a temporary fix for Upton just slap some duct tap over it.

OP
OP
Hooflungdung
Dec 8, 2013
Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral
Exp
Since 2015
That’s exactly what I was planning if I can’t get a proper repair in time. Where would we be without duct tape and cable ties? ;-)

Campervanannie

Free Member
Jul 10, 2018
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido le Randoneur 763F
Exp
I had my shower completely re lined for a crack great job £480 (the dealer paid) I also use a large bulldog clip on the rail to stop my shower door moving in transit.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I'd get my drill out and make small holes at the end of each of the cracks to stop them spreading further before doing anything else. As the crack is on the top raised edge and doesn't appear from what you say to be a fault with the tray as such but from 'damage' caused by the screens, then seal it and just monitor it to see if it gets worse but drilling the holes may stop it altogether, in which case it's just a matter of a small cosmetic repair. I certainly wouldn't be rushing to get it professionally coated at this point.

Afterwards I'd put a rubber 'bumper strip' on the top of the tray below the screens so if they 'bounce' again they won't cause any further damage ... lots of choice for what to use but an easy, waterproof, fix would be the stick on rubber bump strips you can get for car bumpers ...

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I'm sure there are products/companies who could just do a simple recoating rather than a 'repair' for a lot less money.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Just had our local Speedcoat agent repair two cracks in our shower floor - we thought there was only one but he found another! Excellent job, very happy. He was confident the rest of the van would fall apart before it cracked again! :LOL:

If you intend having it repaired please don't use any kind of silicone sealant as a temporary solution. Apparently it is the very devil to clean out in preparation for the repair process.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back