How do you fit bull bars (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Mar 26, 2021
Worcestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner A645 Active
I'd like to fit bull bars to my 03 Ducato.
The purpose is to fit some additional driving lights.
Has anyone fitted one?
How did it go on.
Looking under the front, I just see a plastic cover. There are some heavy gauge bolts along the front of this but no 'chassis' per se to fit them to.
Can anyone advise please?
Thanks.
Si

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
I had a bar on the front of mine when I got it. Then some old girl in front of me decided at the last minute not to go at the roundabout. 🤬🤬. This then caused me the to shove bar into the front grill, bending my A/C condenser and snapping the end off my radiator.

I no longer have the bar on mine.

Just my experience.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Since 25 May 2007, it has been an offence for bull bars that have not been approved as compliant with those safety standards to be sold. Approved devices will carry an indelible ‘e’ mark (for example: e1 01 1471). Dont think you will find Bull bar for ducato most are called Bunny or nudge bar . on ebay come with instructions HTSH

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
If you are fitting driving lamps they need to go off when you dip the headlights. That leaves you driving verchally blind.
If you want to improve night vision I would look at some of the headlight bulb upgrades that are available.
Some make an improvement some are snake oil.

Upvote 0

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Improved headlights....I need to consider this...my Renault Master hasn't got the best set-up....

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S
Mar 26, 2021
Worcestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner A645 Active
I thought true ‘Bull bars’ were illegal now!
Don’t fit too many lights you’ll start to look like a travelling Circus! :giggle:
I'm not fussed how it looks, I want lots of light, if it looks like I'm off to do a rally night stage I dont mind!

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I've seen quite a few #VanLife'ers with massive LED light bars above the windscreen. Sometimes from a roofrack. Sometimes just bolted to the roof.

Upvote 0

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
And most illegal on our roads and would fail the MOT.

Blinding everyone else just so you can see is hardly giving 'due consideration fur other road users' as demanded by the Highway Code.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S
Mar 26, 2021
Worcestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner A645 Active
And most illegal on our roads and would fail the MOT.

Blinding everyone else just so you can see is hardly giving 'due consideration fur other road users' as demanded by the Highway Code.
You might have a set up like that, hence you assume everyone else would. Full beam big light. dipped beam normal. it's not complicated.

Upvote 0
Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
The problem with mega light volumes at high beam, and complying to legal light levels at dipped beam, is that the change is too big, so the experience isn’t great. You need to keep a sensible difference between high and dipped for road use where you keep switching between.

Upvote 0

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
You might have a set up like that, hence you assume everyone else would. Full beam big light. dipped beam normal. it's not complicated.

As long as you can isolate them, I don't see a problem of a mounting on a plastic lightbar, but there are loads of opinions on it, so it's good to sound a few out.

When placed down low, there are rules about placement of lights in the proximity of others , so make sure you check those out. If you put them on the roof, I'm sure you'll look cool, but what practical use they will be is debatable. (y)

Upvote 0

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
Did you have a scooter full of mirrors and lights and the Esso tigers tail on the whip ariels as a lad?:whistle:
On a more serious note check the Motor Vehicles Construction and Use regs there are specific heights and wattages that lights must use, The chances of being pulled are miniscule but there is always one, Instant prohibition notice and an expensive recovery and fine if pulled.

Upvote 0
May 29, 2014
southampton
Funster No
MH
A frame
Exp
since 1985
I'm not fussed how it looks, I want lots of light, if it looks like I'm off to do a rally night stage I dont mind!
That's the problem you have lack of consideration for others . Not fussed/Don't mind.
And you would be doing something probably illegal.

Upvote 0
Feb 23, 2021
BURY ST. EDMUNDS
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 SLT
Exp
Since 2002
You might find that "safety minded citizens" take exception to your installation and try to remove it. Just buy some better headlamp bulbs.
Oh and read this as well.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S
Mar 26, 2021
Worcestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner A645 Active
That's the problem you have lack of consideration for others . Not fussed/Don't mind.
And you would be doing something probably illegal.
Only a fool would make that kind of assumption. I'm perfectly aware of the requirements of the law for lighting and for bull bars. Next.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S
Mar 26, 2021
Worcestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner A645 Active
You might find that "safety minded citizens" take exception to your installation and try to remove it. Just buy some better headlamp bulbs.
Oh and read this as well.
So safety minded citizens might try and commit unlawful damage to the vehicle? the irony is remarkable. I've read the government regs on bull bars. Bulbs might help a little, but dark unlit country roads at night require more than just a bulb upgrade in my opinion.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back