How do you figure out where to park your MH when day tripping? (1 Viewer)

Oct 29, 2019
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
VW LWB Crafter
Exp
Since 2009
I'm planning a UK tour for August and I was wondering if there is a "goto" resource for finding car parks with MH sized spaces?

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Are you looking for overnight parking or day parking ?
Search for sites.co.uk is a good reference and park4night.
Both list a wide variety of sites and carparks.
Or if your visiting towns, their website usually lists their carparks and gives information on any restrictions like height barriers.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
You could look on Campercontact or Camperstop apps, they list virtually all known motorhome stops in the UK so you might find more information there

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I've always found camper contact useless for the UK.
Good for Europe but not UK.
Never tried camperstop

OP
OP
Next Stop
Oct 29, 2019
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
VW LWB Crafter
Exp
Since 2009
Are you looking for overnight parking or day parking ?
Search for sites.co.uk is a good reference and park4night.
Both list a wide variety of sites and carparks.
Or if your visiting towns, their website usually lists their carparks and gives information on any restrictions like height barriers.
It's more for when visiting towns, I did think to look at local websites so I tried with my local council website,
the information was a bit sparse. I found the problem is that although the car park will accept upto 3500kg with no height restrictions there is no mention of length. :(.

You could look on Campercontact or Camperstop apps, they list virtually all known motorhome stops in the UK so you might find more information there

I also looked at both of these and they seem to be great for overnight spots but no mention of suitable carparks for day tripping.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
there is no mention of length. :(.

You also need to find out if they allow paying for 2 bays, many specifically exclude this,I know a few in North Devon that do not allow paying for 2 bays.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
It's more for when visiting towns, I did think to look at local websites so I tried with my local council website,
the information was a bit sparse. I found the problem is that although the car park will accept upto 3500kg with no height restrictions there is no mention of length. :(.

I also looked at both of these and they seem to be great for overnight spots but no mention of suitable carparks for day tripping.
i think you’ll be very lucky to find car parks with large spaces specifically for motor homes, most councils only cater for cars Because they can make more money off smaller spaces. The only one I am aware of is at Bury St Edmunds.

philw111

Free Member
Mar 22, 2009
Moray Firth
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 484
Exp
Since 2004
We have Tesco supermarkets on our satnav (other supermarkets are available) - you can normally get into their car parks (although there are some exceptions)

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Google earth is my friend. ?

OP
OP
Next Stop
Oct 29, 2019
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
VW LWB Crafter
Exp
Since 2009
I suppose another option for us would be to research campsites with good transport links to the towns. It seems like there is a gap in the "app" market for a dedicated parking app as apposed to one that lists stopovers.
I didn't realize that Park4night also lists carparks so this might be a good option to explore, although there are carparks near me that are not listed on it so I'm not sure how complete the information is. Seeing that it is community-driven gives me a good reason to go out and populate my local area!

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
When we thought about travelling up towards Yorkshire last year we contacted all the councils in areas we wanted to visit to see what parking was available for motorhomes. We had replies from most of them, some offered places we could park, others couldn’t.
We also tried a few places in Wales. We rang one council in Carnarvon and they let us park taking up two bays. We just had to tell them our reg number and location so they could inform the local parking attendants.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back