How do you empty the grey waste tank? (1 Viewer)

ianandkath

Free Member
Jun 4, 2015
spain/uk
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
2 years
before you empty your grey waste, drain the 50 gallons of black, then the 50 gallons of grey will clean your pipe out.

only drain if on grass, as hard standing shows the "muck":imoutahere:

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I think in all the FUN banter most missed he asked about ON A CAMPSITE...
So not nice for a "magic bucket" or to let it drip onto a proper camping pitch..

If on site it will take a few days to fill anyway... Waste hog / caravan things on wheels are bulky but some like to carry them.
As an alternative a bowl or bucket and just empty some each day, then do a full dump as you leave the site if they have that facility.. OR Go pash and have a fully serviced pitch and run a hose direct to the drain..

While wild camping or on a rally where it's not used as a camping pitch all the time then the trickle out or magic bucket does the job....

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
After all that has been written on MHF about grey waste I am surprised how many are saying leave the tap open - on a campsite??. Apart from anything else it usually smells unpleasant, so why would you do that. Drain it off responsibly!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
I have never used a site for years wouldn't know what to do don't even know whare the tap is what is this tap you sleek of
Bill

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Hi @Cliffdale
Among all the FUN banter above there's a lot of absolute "no-no's" and the REAL answer - yes empty down the (provided on site) drain, or use buckets (in which case, empty as often as possible to save a mammoth emptying spree at the end); no don't leave the valve open unless invited to by the site owner, and DO NOT leave the valve open on the road (messy oil-slicks follow...). Avoid emptying into a road drain if you can.

OK fellas, back to the banter...

Spoilsport .....:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::LOL::LOL::D:)

Jan 27, 2014
mid wales
Funster No
MH
carthago chic i51.
Exp
All this talk of opening the tap and letting the water out sounds wasteful to me.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
As others have said, most sites have a "Motor Home Service Point".

If you are homeward bound, close the tap, and pour a couple or three 2 litre Cokes down your sink, as you drive home with it swishing around in the tank it cleans the grey water tank stopping nasty smells wafting up your plughole

lesleyjean

Free Member
Jun 21, 2008
Funster No
MH
A class
We had our grey tank taken out years ago.

Now get a much better mpg.

The savings we make pay for our trips abroad.

....................just kidding

Sep 3, 2013
Crowthorne, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
1992 RMB Silver Star 670
Exp
One year. A whole one!
I'm guessing that the OP's 90 litre tank may empty rather quickly when full and potentially gush out and flood the service bay?

We have a similar problem with Udo, but open the grey waste valve just enough to flow out without flooding the apron.

At some sites we visit, we can secure a pitch with its own drain and for that we have a long flexible pipe and a suitable adaptor for Udo's waste valve and all the gunk just empties through that. This is also handy should I ever need to empty his grey tank when parked at home.

Mind you, I could imagine the fun in leaving a trail of pubic hair and toothpaste spit down the campsite exit road. We could all identify who has been where if we all did it as I'm sure no two waste trails would ever be the same. The later waste product would no doubt have elements of Fray-Bentos in them all to positively identify FUN members...

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Just come to my place (south west France) and open the tap .... You will hear earth saying ahaaaaaa thank you!

Not a lot of people come in summer, but if you ask DP-JAY they'll tell you how large the cracks in the soil are here! Impressive!
Of course it might increase your trip bill... especially if you came from England to dump LOL !

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
You could just catch it in the bucket and wash the van with it pubs and all it will all ready have soap in it:whistle::LOL:

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Nobody has mentioned the proper answer yet, creep out at night and crack open the valve so it drains overnight. Make sure there's no bits of food debris to act as a giveaway, Be extra careful when parked on gravel as the neighbours curtains twitch when you sneak about.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Nobody has mentioned the proper answer yet, creep out at night and crack open the valve so it drains overnight. Make sure there's no bits of food debris to act as a giveaway, Be extra careful when parked on gravel as the neighbours curtains twitch when you sneak about.
Ah ha ... so that's how you do it!:wink::RollEyes:

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Got one of these, works a treat and small e-nuff to pack away :)

It's got the 2 lids, so leave one open, slightly crack the other one and it filters away to Mother Earth where it came from :clap2::whistle2::rofl:

Next you'll be saying it's not ok to dig a hole on a site and drain the engine oil:imoutahere::clap2:
image.jpeg

Jul 10, 2016
hucknall
Funster No
MH
Swift bolero 712sb
Exp
10 years
always open the tap at about 11 pm by morning , have a look ,magic , its all gone

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Got one of these, works a treat and small e-nuff to pack away :)

It's got the 2 lids, so leave one open, slightly crack the other one and it filters away to Mother Earth where it came from :clap2::whistle2::rofl:

Next you'll be saying it's not ok to dig a hole on a site and drain the engine oil:imoutahere::clap2:
View attachment 124829
@PP Bear We have a similar one but not as slim as that ,where did you purchase it from please.

Last edited:

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
How do you lot use so much water? I empty my GwayGway Tank every day and drop about 20 litres of cleanish water, as we do not put greasy washing up in the sink and do not wash anything dirty. I thought about saving it and putting it back in the water tank to recycle it, but I didn't like the soapy taste.
There does to be some wind up merchants on this site but I am not sure which ones they are, The very long waste hose is a good way of dropping under the goddy goddy owners van.
Gwaywater.

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
I got mine from the NEC motorhome show. There's one for sale on eBay, but I can't seem to log onto it at the moment.

Product name is a thetford waste water container :)

Hope it helps :)
Thanks I've seen them under v dubs so must be flatter than ours. Off to NEC in October!! I like an accessory or two!!

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
How do you lot use so much water? I empty my GwayGway Tank every day and drop about 20 litres of cleanish water, as we do not put greasy washing up in the sink and do not wash anything dirty. I thought about saving it and putting it back in the water tank to recycle it, but I didn't like the soapy taste.
There does to be some wind up merchants on this site but I am not sure which ones they are, The very long waste hose is a good way of dropping under the goddy goddy owners van.
Gwaywater.

So you only wash clean plates etc :eek:;)

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
On most sites yes, but at rallies I attach a 28mm hose and trail it under the neighbouring van. At Peterborough if I remember right it was under @Jaws old Miller. (y)
That might be where you thought it ended, but I extended it and left it under Dawns van

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back