How do you deal with reverse polarity? (1 Viewer)

euphony290

Free Member
May 2, 2013
Normandy, France
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
From June 2013
I thought I had placed a post somewhere on the site about this but I can't find it and, as there have been no responses, I reckon it didn't happen.

I think I understand the concept of reverse polarity (RP) - (Blue and Brown wires reversed) but how do you discover the socket you are about to link into is RP?

If you find a socket is reverse polarity how do you overcome it? I think you utilise a small extension cable but how would this be wired up so as to make it all safe?

We took delivery of our first 'home this week and are keen to get on with it all but I am concerned about this subject as we live in France and mainland Europe is where I suspect this issue will surface.

Thanks in advance for all help and suggestions.

euphony290

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
a mains socket tester will indicate a reversed situation...available on ebay for a few quid.

remedy....a short lead with EITHER (but not both) the plug or socket rewired backwards...live wire to neutral/neutral wire to live.

be sure to mark the lead "reversed" or you may reverse a good post socket in error.

another option is plug into a different post, or even a different socket on the same post...it may be wired correctly.

more important, and far more dangerous, is a lack of earth......no earth indicated on the socket tester then DO NOT use that hookup post socket.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Something like this will do.

You have a tester you plug in your mains socket once you are on mains hook up. The lights on the socket will tell you if it is ok or reversed polarity
The adapters will allow you to change the polarity and the test plug will then show you if it is ok.

$(KGrHqV,!qMFESV3N4+CBRdC4KCQlw~~60_1.JPG

Link Removed

The tester will also warn if there is no earth.

$T2eC16J,!zcE9s4g0uSfBRb8KGQrcg~~60_12.JPG

:thumb:

::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Hi and welcome to the fun. All connections are reverse current for half of the cycle so a reverse connection is not in itself likely to damage anything. However UK built vans are only fused on the live side with neutral connected to earth potential. In France they fuse both the live and the neutral in their vans so no need to correct it. In short it is only a problem if you have a short circuit, bit could become live. I have had a look at the Burstner manual and its not clear if it is fused both live and neutral. But then my manual is an old one you may find different in yours. If you do need one then pappajohn has detailed how to make one, good luck

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
essential piece of kit and only £4.49

Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007
Reversed polarity is a problem for British vans because the UK uses single pole switching, where the polarity needs to be correctly maintained, to safely switch things off. On the continent they employ double pole switching and, therefore, are not concerned about polarity to achieve isolation of equipment.

However, circuit protection shouldn't be an issue for UK vans when the polarity is reversed. Circuit breakers and residual current devices should still operate.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
E

euphony290

Free Member
May 2, 2013
Normandy, France
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
From June 2013
Thank you one-and-all. I knew I would get a result by asking on this site.

I have taken advice and ordered the full kit on eBay and it should be here within a week. For £30, including postage to France, it is worthwhile as it's too much to risk without.

We are just waiting for a few good days, weatherwise, and we'll be off around Normandy and Brittany, to start with at least.

Thanks again folks.
Regards
:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Upvote 0

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
Something like this will do.

You have a tester you plug in your mains socket once you are on mains hook up. The lights on the socket will tell you if it is ok or reversed polarity
The adapters will allow you to change the polarity and the test plug will then show you if it is ok.

$(KGrHqV,!qMFESV3N4+CBRdC4KCQlw~~60_1.JPG

Link Removed

The tester will also warn if there is no earth.

$T2eC16J,!zcE9s4g0uSfBRb8KGQrcg~~60_12.JPG

:thumb:

::bigsmile:

Two points.

1. All you need is one adapter. A miniature EHU lead about 500 cm long with the live and neutral wires reversed at on end. Just palce this between the EHU lead and the motorhome to reverse the polarity.

2. If you use one of the foreign to UK electric plug type adapters (bottom right hand corner of photo) then you will OFTEN find that they often reverse the polarity anyway so using one in conjunction with a plug tester will result in erroneous readings.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back