how do you correctly turn off an AES fridge (1 Viewer)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
possibly might seem a daft question, but following on from a couple of fridge use on ferries I wondered if I am doing the right thing when turning fridge off at ferries, tunnel or as below

Took my MH down to Mercedes to have some work done, due to delays and my own commitments I knew I wouldn't collect it for 3 days, so for safety and to save gas decided to turn the fridge off

When we go on the tunnel I have the same dilemma, AES on ours at least has no 'off' switch, or position on the dial

Leave on AES it will turn to gas when engine stopped, after a few minutes delay, if gas turned off it will continue to try and light, presumably until the hab battery goes flat

turn to 12V, I live in fear of this position after owning an incorrectly wired fridge on our first and previous MH, had a flat battery in the middle of the train on the tunnel as we arrived in France, our carriage had to reverse off behind me while I was jump started by tunnel staff driving one of those unique dockside lorry cab things, driven towards us from the front of the train at break neck speed in reverse, All done with a smile and a wave, but very embarrassing. In theory nothing would happen if ignition off but don't want to find out the hard way again

So I turn to mains, it lights up red, correctly, due to no power, but seems to be the closest I can get to 'off'

Am I doing it wrong, or is this the only option?

motorhome42

Free Member
Feb 12, 2010
North Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail
Exp
Since 2009
Hold the switch down that changes the power supply options. Keep it held down until the fridge switches off.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
We done have a fancy modern push button jobby, so just turn the dial to off, I was reading your post David and thinking "surely it has an off switch" you did read the instructions __________ didn't you;)

Martin

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
decided I couldn't wait till the morning

unfortunately @motorhome42 your solution does not resolve my problem

however I might need certifying, to think they let me run around in over 5 tons of metal o_Oo_O

Our dial, has a flame, 12V, a mains plug symbol and auto options

It also has a O at the top, which I had never noticed, turns it all off :whistle:

it is sort of hidden though by the door trim, well that is going to be my excuse till I can think of something more credible (y)

sorry all :(

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
We done have a fancy modern push button jobby, so just turn the dial to off, I was reading your post David and thinking "surely it has an off switch" you did read the instructions __________ didn't you;)

Martin

how should I know that O = off, it could have been anything :LOL::LOL:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
or "O" my god I broke something (again)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Standard international symbol 0=off, l=on, most electrical products and switches have been labeled with those symbols since the 1970's. No excess even for you David.

just needed to use my eyes properly, only had it 4 years :)(y), but to be fair it is always on hook up, or off site in use, so mains or gas apart from when driving, half a dozen times through the tunnel so not needed to turn it off much (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back