Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Suffolk. Near Bury st Edmunds
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best
At last we have the motorhome and have just had our first few days discovering how it all works. Having shown very little interest to this point, hubby is now smitten. Just 4 days away and he was itching to clean it! Alas, getting the roof clean eludes us...how do you do it

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
A tall set of step ladders and an extending brush works for me, but the roof is only about 2.5m high.

Reactions: Sue

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I have always got on the roof to clean it on all my motorhomes.
the construction of modern motorhome roofs is such that it will take the weight.

Only caution is dont step too close to any openings....roof lights, vents etc. or the overcab bulge...its usually ABS and cant take much weight....and beware, the roof may become slippery when wet.

The weakest part of any roof is the edge of openings.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
I use both methods; steps/platform with a telescopic brush or by getting on the roof on hands and knees (I spread my weight - even though I'm like a couple of rashers of wind stuck together :) )

BEWARE THOUGH there are pitfalls (literally!) Soapy ladders, hoses, platforms and roofs are a lethal cocktail! Also, you push the brush one way and the ladder goes the opposite :tmi:

To get on my roof, I use a ladder higher than the roof (which is 3m+) and a really thick piece of foam to protect the bodywork. I then spread my weight and use various sponges/ small brushes to get into the rooflight niches.

A quicker way is to stand on steps or a platform with a telescopic brush and clean from just one side of the van only.

There is another ingenious way that I use....... If you have a large rooflight, you can use small steps from inside the van using the rooflight as a sort of roof hatch. This is good for reaching the front part of the roof. I normally pop the bucket, brushes etc up from the outside first so that I don't drop the bucket and swamp the hab area!! Bit of a performance, but works for me.

Finally, don't be tempted to walk on the roof unless it's specially reinforced. Doing so can weaken the roof joints and dislodge the mastic.

James

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
as said, if anyone climbs onto the roof stay at the sides above the walls and don't tread near any opening or joint as they are so easy to disturb causing damp later

oh and if you're over 70kg forget it and send somebody else up there

if you thoroughly clean the roof and polish it with silicon resin based polish in the spring and autumn it will stay cleaner longer

wanderer

Free Member
Apr 14, 2008
huntingdon
Funster No
MH
a class Arto
Exp
since 2008
I climb up through the Heki skylight and give it a good clean and polish once a year . Whats with the weight who says its 70 kg,s

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
I got the dealers to do it when they had it in for the hab check ..... :whistle:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Roofs are a lot stronger than many think. I used to carry two 35kg canoes on the roof of my Autotrail Arapaho, so when I was stowing them there was a fair bit of weight up there ;)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Does any of this apply to a pvc?
If yours is like mine there isn't much space for walking on the roof without running the risk of getting too close to a rooflight and damaging the seal. But for bigger MHs my technique may not be ideal.

img_2015042115522-jpg.59854

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
We've noticed on Pug that the roof doesn't get that grubby. Whether Its because he's because he's metal , and metallic paint , I don't know. Plus we don't get the black line plague .
But I reckon he will be easier to clean being not quite as high.
I did notice at Misterton , that we didn't have as much head room inside our PVC, compared to dome others.
But as Ralph said, that's cos we've got more insulation in the floor and roof. Pugs Been made to suit my 5 foot 11 height, withought my heals on !

Reactions: DBK
Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
I polished the roof a few months ago and it does help, checked it after 2 months and no dirt!

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
I get up on the roof to clean it about every three months and get some polish and wax on before the winter. (y)

Oct 26, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Supreme 680st
Exp
since 2001
I'm going to cover mine in solar panels hopefully leaving very little roof left to clean :D

Andy

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back