How do you clean the outside of your MH ? (1 Viewer)

Graham of Madrid

Free Member
Oct 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Mc Louis Glamys 40
Exp
Since 2019
Professional 1.8 Metre Flow Through Wash Brush - Cleaning Brush for Cars, Vans, Trucks Etc.. - On / Off Tap

Amazon product ASIN B07B7CVWR4
Hello there !

I have to start thinking about how I'm going to clean the outside and came across this. Anyone have any advice or alternative. I'm not too concerned at this stage about cleaning products more about the hardware.

Thanks for your help.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Went to clean the roof of the Rimor four weeks ago. Fell off the step ladder and broke some ribs. Been off work since as it hurts more than childbirth. The missus has been supportive and sympathetic - not.
Decided that in future, going to pay someone younger and bouncier than me to do it.

For sale:
Pressure washer
Stepladder
I fell off the stepladder pruning the wisteria and I fell onto the edge of the ladder as it fell under me. Fractured finger and very bruised. However,,,,,,, it does NOT hurt more than childbirth:D

Upvote 0
Apr 22, 2013
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 625
Exp
Since 2011
I fell off the stepladder pruning the wisteria and I fell onto the edge of the ladder as it fell under me. Fractured finger and very bruised. However,,,,,,, it does NOT hurt more than childbirth:D
Last year I fell off my ladder while pruning my apple trees. I have regained my original shape but the ladder still hasn't.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Went to clean the roof of the Rimor four weeks ago. Fell off the step ladder and broke some ribs. Been off work since as it hurts more than childbirth. The missus has been supportive and sympathetic - not.
Decided that in future, going to pay someone younger and bouncier than me to do it.

For sale:
Pressure washer
Stepladder
...........and I meant to say that my better half not supportive either saying “I’m not taking you to A&E and hanging around for hours”!

Upvote 0

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Karcher and go for it., used to use Mike at motorhome valet but as he can't be bothered to respond to my emails, I saved myself several hundreds of pounds with a careful jet wsh with foam, then a quick sponge over and a spray of wash and wax.. Looks just as good. And the roof, my local motorhome sale site does it for ÂŁ30.While I wait and watch..

Upvote 0
Apr 7, 2018
Funster No
I am obsessive about certain things and cleaning my wagon is more of an exercise in physical exercise than anything else i do. So yes, i wash my 6.8m Burstner by hand about every 6 weeks, roof included. When i first bought it second-hand last year it was clean from the dealer, but not sparkling. So the first time i washed it, i took 10 hours over two days. But once i'd polished her with Autoglum wax polish, which took another 12 hours, she stayed shiny and was a joy to keep clean. Now she's been polished once every 3-4 months which only takes 3 hours. The washing, even by hand merely takes me 2.5hours including the roof and wheels. So the secret is, apply a top quality polish and the dirt will just wipe off... And ya bodywork will be protected against the elements too :) Now i need a sit down, result =~,#= Samsung Pix - start of 2019 039.jpg

Upvote 0

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
A friend mentioned watching someone washing the roof of his van with a cordless power washer in Spain so, because I like gadgets, I did some research and ordered one of these the following day:

Amazon product ASIN B0747MVFVJ
I had it sent to the campsite I was at in Spain and it arrived a few days later (they have gone up in price, I paid about ÂŁ85 before delivery). I used it with a bucket of water and it works quite well though nowhere near as powerful as a proper mains-powered one. I've used it on the bikes since and ordered a second battery with quick charger to ensure I've enough power to finish the job, I can see me using it mainly to clean the roof and to rinse down the van after a proper wash. No doubt I'll be told off at certain campsites and I'll have to be sensible if there's been a drought etc but its pretty frugal with the water. Overall very happy with it, especially for muddy bikes :)

Upvote 0
May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
Knowing the water ingress many motorhomes suffer I would not use a pressure washer on mine , looking at the window frames ,how they are sealed ( and the soft sealant used ) and how they are held in I think I would be asking for trouble, I spoke to a Motorhome body Repairer and asked him how regularly would you reseal the roof and the window frames , he suggested once a year !!! especially the fronts of the window frames and never use a pressure washer, as the inside floor has been washed inside ( shower drains disintegrated ) then 8 weeks ago when in Spain kitchen sink drain pipe came detached and washed the floor again !! I don't trust the build quality . Before any body says I have never had a problem with my foreign made van I have heard horror stories about Hymers , Carthagos, and Burstners , mine is French made probably the worst of the mentioned bunch.

Upvote 0

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
A friend mentioned watching someone washing the roof of his van with a cordless power washer in Spain so, because I like gadgets, I did some research and ordered one of these the following day:

Amazon product ASIN B0747MVFVJ
I had it sent to the campsite I was at in Spain and it arrived a few days later (they have gone up in price, I paid about ÂŁ85 before delivery). I used it with a bucket of water and it works quite well though nowhere near as powerful as a proper mains-powered one. I've used it on the bikes since and ordered a second battery with quick charger to ensure I've enough power to finish the job, I can see me using it mainly to clean the roof and to rinse down the van after a proper wash. No doubt I'll be told off at certain campsites and I'll have to be sensible if there's been a drought etc but its pretty frugal with the water. Overall very happy with it, especially for muddy bikes :)
I use a pressure washer, but very carefully and touch wood have had no water ingress or other problems.. Motorhome dealers don't wash their stock by hand I can assure you, so I take my lead from them .

Reactions: SMB
Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2011
west sussex
Funster No
MH
Low profile coachbuilt
Exp
10 year
We have used a lorry wash,just like a self car wash,in Valladolid in Spain this has a walk way each side so very easy access to roof washing, why do we not see this in uk ?

Upvote 0

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Knowing the water ingress many motorhomes suffer I would not use a pressure washer on mine , looking at the window frames ,how they are sealed ( and the soft sealant used ) and how they are held in I think I would be asking for trouble, I spoke to a Motorhome body Repairer and asked him how regularly would you reseal the roof and the window frames , he suggested once a year !!! especially the fronts of the window frames and never use a pressure washer, as the inside floor has been washed inside ( shower drains disintegrated ) then 8 weeks ago when in Spain kitchen sink drain pipe came detached and washed the floor again !! I don't trust the build quality . Before any body says I have never had a problem with my foreign made van I have heard horror stories about Hymers , Carthagos, and Burstners , mine is French made probably the worst of the mentioned bunch.
I know what you mean (especially since I have a Swift) and have only used a pressure washer once to clean salt off the van following a ferry crossing but the pressure of the Worx is a lot less and has several pressure settings (you can even water your plants with it but I wouldn't recommend the ones on your dashboard). If you are careful with it I wouldn't have thought there would be a problem. I also heard about a recommendation replacing sikaflex-type seals every two years which, after suffering two leaks in the same place at the rear of the van where the roof meets the rear panel (thankfully now sorted with a proper seal) I can see why.

Upvote 0

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
So sorry...

Don't understand the question...

What is this "cleaning" of which they speak?

JJ :cool:
I will get Jan to demonstrate the new toy when we are next at QMJ as part of her cleaning regime :D

Upvote 0

bfb

Free Member
Jun 25, 2012
Aldershot
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Never allow anybody who washes your vehicle for you to jet wash the tyres. Pressure washing can dry out the sidewalls prematurely resulting in minute cracks in any tyre. I was first allerted to this by a tyre fitter so got on to a tech boffin I know at a well known tyre manufacturer. He said for want of a better explanation the high pressre blasts out the natural oils in the rubber compound and in short period of time they will resemble perished tyres. Also strong detergents will do the same. The best way is to brush with warm water. He could not understand why warnings were never given out to consumers, including protecting the tyre from the sun. He also pointed out that the tyres on a motorhome do more work than the equivalent van used for deliveries as they are empty half the time but motorhomes are near fully loaded all the time with interior trim cupboards etc, so should be changed more regularly than vans.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Graham of Madrid

Graham of Madrid

Free Member
Oct 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Mc Louis Glamys 40
Exp
Since 2019
We have used a lorry wash,just like a self car wash,in Valladolid in Spain this has a walk way each side so very easy access to roof washing, why do we not see this in uk ?

Hello Jenny,

do you have a picture or is there a name for this ? I'm looking for similar in Madrid.
Thanks.

Upvote 0

Wellington

Free Member
May 23, 2018
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compact 138
Hose and soft brush (wielded by an enthusiastic small child) and a hop up. Would welcome advice about to get it keep the green algae stuff off the roof (current plan is to jetwash from the bedroom window. It worked well for the conservatory roof!)

Upvote 0
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Something called a Ralph.
Very good at it too.

Upvote 0
Nov 22, 2018
South East but not London
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Five years plus three tugging
Although still incredibly seriously injured, I did manage to apply a sponge to the sides, front and rear of the bus. I've decided that I don't care about the roof and if SWMBO complains about the roof:

a) fill your boots and I'll hold the ladder.
b) draw the upstairs curtains so you don't have to see it.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back