LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Total ignoramus here, not a clue on electrics...
Just bought a m/h, dealer says I should use 12v everything or if on EHU I could "blow" the electrics of the whole site.
So how do I use my laptop? (probably just to check emails & browse for the next site along the trip).
Similarly - can I do this off EHU or am I going to do something drastic to the m/h?

Trikimiki

Free Member
Oct 14, 2012
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
If that was the case there would be no point going onto EHU. I personally just try to keep it below 4KW on at any time and to date has worked. Either use Lappy on battery or just plug it in on EHU as you would at home.

Upvote 0
Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
You won`t blow the (whole) site :Doh:
Every site pitch has a trip switch so as you don't either use too much electric or you have a fault.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
Just plug your laptop into the 240 socket if you are on EHU, the dealer is talking a load of rubbish, if you had the kettle on together with the toaster the most you would do is trip the overload breaker. :Smile:

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
most ehu supplies in this country are rated at 16a but a safer max load would be 13a or 3kw. so if you have the heating on, turn it off whilst boiling the kettle etc. this is the reason caravan/motorhome kettles/toasters/etc are low wattage and not as fast as home versions

as for a laptop, if on hookup use as normal as they only draw 80w at maximum. if off hookup, pick up an in car 12v charger, much more efficent

Upvote 0
Jan 9, 2013
Newbury
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2000
May be worth investing in a second battery for your laptop, and keeping it topped up when you have EHU - my no. 1 battery doesn't hold its charge for long. I also use the inverter occasionally, but it does drain the power quite fast.

Or invest in an Ipad, which has a USB / 12v charger...

Upvote 0
Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
Just bought a m/h, dealer says I should use 12v everything or if on EHU I could "blow" the electrics of the whole site.
So how do I use my laptop? (probably just to check emails & browse for the next site along the trip).
Similarly - can I do this off EHU or am I going to do something drastic to the m/h?

To put it in laymans terms: The dealer is full of shit.

When on EHU, just use your lappie in the same way you would at home :thumb:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
CWH

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
I feel better now!

Thanks everybody, all your VERY QUICK responses make me feel much better!
It's great not to be made to feel THICK as a complete beginner (I've noticed some very unkind replies on other forum sites but never on this one)
Off for our first few days away on Thursday - hope we don't float away in the floods.

Upvote 0
Jan 9, 2013
Newbury
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2000
Just make sure you're on a hard standing - we managed to get stuck in the mud when we took Roxie our on her first trip, in January 2013!!

:Blush:

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
You should be able to run your laptop off a 12 volt cigarette lighter socket. Just Google your laptop's model number followed by "car charger" and you should find something suitable. Of course if you are on EHU use your normal charger.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks everybody, all your VERY QUICK responses make me feel much better!
It's great not to be made to feel THICK as a complete beginner (I've noticed some very unkind replies on other forum sites but never on this one)
Off for our first few days away on Thursday - hope we don't float away in the floods.

no such thing as a stupid question....if you already knew the answer you wouldnt be asking.
And as you are asking makes you far from thick, it makes you sensible...we were all newbies once.

There are very few rules on FUN and number 1 rule states you do not attack/abuse a poster....no matter how/what you feel...and as a whole that rule is adhered to strongly

Upvote 0

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012

Basically, it depends if you are intended to use campsites with electricity, or to use cheap campsites/wilding sites without. If you have electricity, even the most miserly Mediterranean site will have enough juice to power a laptop. If you don't intend to have mains electric, you should get a 12V laptop power supply and charge it whilst driving (or fit solar).

Something like the following will cover most laptops.
http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/12v-auto-...ter-with-1a-usb-socket-12-charging-tips-a83la

Upvote 0

sleep e carr

Free Member
Nov 30, 2008
Whitby North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Express 6 birth
Exp
Since 1970 first van converted police van
To put it in laymans terms: The dealer is full of shit.

When on EHU, just use your lappie in the same way you would at home :thumb:

When I go away I use my lappy all the time if on elec plug in like normal, or I use an adapter that I bought in a electrical store for £17 you can adjust the voltage on a slide button, my internet I get via a 3dongle in usb.
It works great even in europe hope this helps.

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Often cheaper to get a dedicated 12v charger off eBay for your actual model of laptop. I have one for my dell which is great. I don't even use the mains charger when on ehu, as the ehu is recharging the battery.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back