How do I tell if my fridge is working on gas (1 Viewer)

jo10000_6

Free Member
Dec 21, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 Classic
Exp
Jan 2018
Hello - I haven't really needed to use my fridge on gas - Hymer B544 - but when I've tried I've been a little bit uneasy assuming it's all lit and working as there is no peep hole to see the flame.

I know the clicking noise stops but is there anything else I can hear or so to say it's all lit and working ?

Thanks
Jo

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Heat from the top vent flue exhaust is how I tell. Also if it hadn't lit it would continue clicking.
My user manual says there is a peep hole at back of fridge to see flame, but it's just not there !

Upvote 0

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
It gets cold!

Or to be more helpful the “clicking” is the piezo igniter, arcing, making a spark, which ignited the gas.

When the flame is present it stops sparking. If the flame extinguishes the sparking (clicking) starts again

Upvote 0

JackieP

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
But of a random soution but I used to put my outside thermometer sensor in the freezer box and check the indoor one to look for a drop in temperature. Saves opening the door all the time.

I also drop the outside vent and listen for the sound of gas getting through but the environs has to be pretty quiet to hear it properly.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

The Dotties

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
My (Dometic) has a flashing red light visible above the door, instead of steady blue, if there is a problem with any of the three supply options.

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Mine makes quite an audible roaring sound from the burner if you listen at the bottom vent. If you take the vent cover off you may be able to see the flame. If all else fails touch the burner cover and see if it's hot.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
jo10000_6

jo10000_6

Free Member
Dec 21, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 Classic
Exp
Jan 2018
Thank you one and all for all the tips.

I will have a little look later. I'm fairly sure it works and the clicking does stop but a spy hole have been preferred.

(y)

Upvote 0

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
As I recall the spy-holes (at the back of the inside of the fridge) were to confirm that the pilot light was alight, and were not always convenient to use.
The gas will not light if the fridge is already cold. If in doubt, leave the door open before feeling for warmth in the flue (good luck with that if yours has a roof vent).
Alternatively, start from scratch and check that the freezer will produce ice cubes whilst on gas.

Upvote 0

Bdeners

Free Member
Jul 22, 2018
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
2014 Hobby 65 GE
Exp
Since May 2018
As jackieP says, get yourself one of these on eBay, great for monitoring you fridge temperature without having to open the door.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
jo10000_6

jo10000_6

Free Member
Dec 21, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 Classic
Exp
Jan 2018
resurrecting a thread …..I haven't had cause to try and chase this down due to being on EHU most of the time - the tip for the thermometer worked great for this because it allowed me to make sure fridge wasn't getting to cold and freezing my cucumbers ! So thanks for this.

I've played a few time with the fridge on gas - primarily spent an hour or so today - trying different things.

I've taken the top vent off - with this off I can see the inside of where the outside vent is on the back of the motorhome (The bottom vent doesn't show much).

I've now got to the stage where I can press for gas - ignite and hear a little "woof" - now whilst I hear the little "woof" I'm fairly sure its not lit. You just don't hear anything.

Before I call in an expert as I'm sure a fridge service is overdue - I was wondering if you can think off anything else I can try.

Thanks
Jo

Upvote 0
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
If the clicking stops the flame is present. The igniter cannot stop unless the burner is in operation - it isn't timed and has no other means of turning off.

Upvote 0
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
Tell me about it, I froze me spring onions the other day!

I was a bit wary trying my fridge on gas for an extended period on this trip I am on now but the thing is they do work really well on gas. They usually light after just a few clicks so if your igniter goes off that would be enough for me to presume it's working and relax.

When I ran out of gas the other day the igniter would click and flash again telling me it was having problems keeping lit so that's how I knew I had ran dry.

I do have a peep hole at the bottom of my fridge though but I am a bit worried as it seems to be more yellow than bright blue. Anyone know if this is a problem?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
jo10000_6

jo10000_6

Free Member
Dec 21, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 Classic
Exp
Jan 2018
Hi - its a Electrolux RM275 - with no peep hole. I'm following the instructions of the book. If it is lit its very quiet - as I've mentioned I have the top vent off for my ear to have a listen better.

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Check for heat at the top vent, it should feel noticeably warm, especially in this weather if it's lit.
As said it will also continue clicking if not lit.
PS mine is silent on gas

Upvote 0
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Tell me about it, I froze me spring onions the other day!

I was a bit wary trying my fridge on gas for an extended period on this trip I am on now but the thing is they do work really well on gas. They usually light after just a few clicks so if your igniter goes off that would be enough for me to presume it's working and relax.

When I ran out of gas the other day the igniter would click and flash again telling me it was having problems keeping lit so that's how I knew I had ran dry.

I do have a peep hole at the bottom of my fridge though but I am a bit worried as it seems to be more yellow than bright blue. Anyone know if this is a problem?
Yes it's burning poorly and producing soot and CO. Either replace the jet assembly or have it serviced. The flame should be blue.

Upvote 0

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
So you have separate dials to control the temperature for 'leccy and for gas?
Have you turned the gas one to max?
You should feel heat from the flames coming out of flue (outside) when it's working on gas.
Seems like either the flue needs cleaning or the burner jet.
Does the ignition 'clicking' sound come back after the "woosh"?
If it does, it suggests that the flame is not big enough to keep the flame failure device open. It will try to relight a few times before giving up.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
jo10000_6

jo10000_6

Free Member
Dec 21, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 Classic
Exp
Jan 2018
HiYa,

I don't have separate controls - I've always took it that the temp control for the elec. was just for that - its positioned that side of the fridge so everything that side is off - although I had been trying it when it was on no.5 but no difference.

The ignition sound does not come back on after the woosh. My controls are in the picture.

I will have another play tomorrow - I know my neighbours think there's something wrong with me - I'm in and out of that motorhome so many times ! Sometimes I just sit there and think what a great space it is. Sometimes I just sit there drink coffee and think what a great space it is. Busy busy.(y)

I will probably have to get someone in but that's easier said than done sometimes. I have the get up and go, inclination and enthusiasm ! I just don't have the skills ! :(

Thanks for the replies.

Jo

Attachments

• IMG_4991.JPG
    IMG_4991.JPG
    143.8 KB · Views: 34
Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
So there's no heat in the top vent outside ?
I'd guess it needs a good service at least.
This probably involves removing the fridge so disconnected gas 12 volt and 240 volt.
You may need to look for someone to do it for you if you don't have the skills.

Upvote 0
Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
If the gas function is operating ok, you should hear the igniter give a short burst of clicks, followed by a bit of a "wumpf" noise as the gas ignites, the clicking will stop and you should hear a faint "roar" from the burner. The burner will continue to "roar" until the fridge reaches the desired temperature, the time taken for this depends on a few things, the temperature you have selected, how much "stuff" is in your fridge, the condition of the burner/chimney/jet combo and the ambient temperature.
I had a problem with my fridge this summer on gas, as it wouldn't cool. I took the lower vent off and could see the flame and, although it was a blue flame, it was smaller than usual and not roaring, plus it was running constantly. I stripped out the burner, blew through the jet and reassembled everything and it worked fine after that.

Upvote 0

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Hi Jo
It's a long time since I had a fridge like yours, and memory games are not one of my strong points, but I think the 'thermostat' on the left is a mere 'placebo' when you're using gas. The one on the right is to control the amount of chilling when on gas and that needs to be nearer max (big flame?).
All the best...

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back