How do I remove the interior rear view mirror? (1 Viewer)

Top Dog

Free Member
Aug 27, 2020
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
None at present
Exp
David has 6 years experience as a full-timer in Australia (2002-2008). RV: "Winnebago Longreach".
Hi everyone. Can anyone advise me how to remove the interior rear view mirror on the new Fiat Ducato? We've recently bought a new PVC and have found that the mirror is of no benefit. It also gets in the way when lifting up and closing the windscreen blind so any advice would be most appreciated. Thank you.
David

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Twist and pull, its a hex fitting on the window, 3 of the flats have an indent which the 3 clips on the mirror fit into.

Mirror.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 1
Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
I removed our next to useless rear view mirror by taking off the part that covers the ball adjustment on the windscreen bracket.
I tried to push a small screwdriver in between the ball itself and the part it swivels in, but it was very tight. I persevered with this method and eventually it came off in one piece revealing a large metal nut which is bonded to the screen itself.
I always intended to just take the mirror part off, then use the mirror arm with ball as a good method of holding our Garmin Camper Sat Nav up high on the screen as I had seen done on someone else's van.
There was no need in the end as the Garmin Screen sucker bracket does the same job. I now have the complete rear view mirror in a top locker cupboard, I must remember to find it and remove from the van entirely.
Good luck, just Bend, Twist & Pull hard enough and it will come away from the screen, without causing any damage.
LES
EDIT: the large nut can be seen in picture in Olley's post above.(y)

Upvote 0
Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Hi everyone. Can anyone advise me how to remove the interior rear view mirror on the new Fiat Ducato? We've recently bought a new PVC and have found that the mirror is of no benefit. It also gets in the way when lifting up and closing the windscreen blind so any advice would be most appreciated. Thank you.
David
If you don’t want it can I buy it off you please 👍🏻

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
Is it not a legal requirement to have it have though you can't see anything through it?

Upvote 0
Apr 29, 2021
Bridgend, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Arapaho
Exp
David
Be careful, I just pulled mine off and took a chunk of the windscreen with it :-( realised after that there was a screw underneath that you can’t see from the front, good luck

Upvote 0
Oct 25, 2016
Ashford
Funster No
MH
Frankia A 680
Exp
Since Oct 2016
Found this in Regulation 33 of the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) regulations. My understanding of this is that you can remove the rear view mirror if it gives you no view out of the rear window, provided you have both n/s and o/s mirrors.

A wheeled motor vehicle not in items 1 to 5, which is first used on or after 1st June 1978 (or, in the case of a Ford Transit motor car, 10th July 1978)
(i) At least one mirror fitted externally on the offside of the vehicle; and
(ii) at least one mirror fitted internally, unless a mirror so fitted would give the driver no view to the rear of the vehicle; and
(iii) at least one mirror fitted externally on the nearside of the vehicle unless a mirror which gives the driver an adequate view to the rear is fitted internally

Upvote 0
Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
Found this in Regulation 33 of the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) regulations. My understanding of this is that you can remove the rear view mirror if it gives you no view out of the rear window, provided you have both n/s and o/s mirrors.

A wheeled motor vehicle not in items 1 to 5, which is first used on or after 1st June 1978 (or, in the case of a Ford Transit motor car, 10th July 1978)
(i) At least one mirror fitted externally on the offside of the vehicle; and
(ii) at least one mirror fitted internally, unless a mirror so fitted would give the driver no view to the rear of the vehicle; and
(iii) at least one mirror fitted externally on the nearside of the vehicle unless a mirror which gives the driver an adequate view to the rear is fitted int
No, minimum of two rear view mirrors ie o/s and n/s exterior mirrors will do.

Yes you are correct. At one time I think it was but common sense has prevailed

Upvote 0

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Its always been any two of the possible 3 mirrors, however it now includes cameras as rear view devices

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back