How do I lock the habitation door from the inside? (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
T

TOAD on Tour

Free Member
Nov 7, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
VW Grand California
Exp
Since 2020
When you use the key in the outside of door, does it feel springy?
I had exactly that problem with mine and it was the spring inside the locking mechanism had broken, this does not allow the levers to reset to the correct position.
Real pain to access as the door trim panel has to be removed for access, after finding the problem I was informed by local agent that a new handle lock assembly would be needed only €180 sir, I bought some spring wire of correct diameter and made a replacement.
Thanks for the post, the key feels fine in the lock. It’s actually going next Tuesday to the dealer as they need to fit a new water level gauge for the fresh water tank, so I will also mention it them.

Sep 19, 2013
Cabbunk Central
Funster No
MH
Carado T459
Exp
Not long enough!
Sounds very similar to the Dethleffs and Hymer broken door Spring.
(One or two functions work but one doesn't.)
There are several springs inside the door casing and if one is snapped (usually after the door has blown shut violently in a gale) a new spring fixes it.
There is also a way to use two or three good rubber bands as it is obvious which levers need tensioning.
The factory guys can get the door apart in about three minutes (!) but be careful your first time.

OP
OP
T

TOAD on Tour

Free Member
Nov 7, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
VW Grand California
Exp
Since 2020
ok, it seems that nothing is wrong with the lock, it would appear that for the inside lock to operate you have turn the key a quarter turn from the outside, then you can lock/unlock the door from the inside as often as you like.....thanks as always to everybody’s help 👍😎

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 1, 2014
France
Funster No
MH
Pilote G691 LCE
Exp
Since 1974
In my earlier reply I didn't explain myself too well, the problem I encountered was a little more extreme than yours but it sounds as though the cause will be similar.
Using the key in one of the side lockers with a clam shell pull out handle, not a turn type handle, turn key to open position, does it spring back to a central position or need you to turn it back to get key out? If your hab door lock doesn't feel the same then I think your problem will get worse.
If you look at the link here which is a Spanish company you will see a kit to refurbish the part of lock I think your problem is, the spring I mention is the coiled wire item.
When I had the problem I couldn't find a company that would admit to these parts being available or even that they are exactly the same parts as the locker handle locks, which is why I had to make my own, it was only when researching something else I came across this Spanish company listing them, I have a kit in my spares box now.
Hope that makes better sense.

OP
OP
T

TOAD on Tour

Free Member
Nov 7, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
VW Grand California
Exp
Since 2020
Thanks eurajohn, that’s good advice and seeing as the part looks cheap as chips, although fitting is probably fiddly, I’ll get one on order. 👍

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back