How do I get this off? (1 Viewer)

Jan 1, 2017
eastbourne
Funster No
MH
van conversion, Peug
Exp
4 years
Hi all, I’ve got a converted Pug Boxer and want to carpet line the rear doors and possibly the existing trim, anyone know how to get the trim off from the black button that ‘wings’the door. I’m worried about breaking it....

Attachments

• E3A18737-6F94-4D57-AFA3-E203030FFEF0.jpeg
    E3A18737-6F94-4D57-AFA3-E203030FFEF0.jpeg
    113.1 KB · Views: 84

Deleted User
If the 'fir tree' has been on a while it may be a brittle and will almost certainly break but this is not a problem as you can buy replacements on-line. Just need to measure diameter and length required

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
uzsnowdrop
Jan 1, 2017
eastbourne
Funster No
MH
van conversion, Peug
Exp
4 years
Thanks , I’ve ordered the trim removers, how is the big black button held on?

Deleted User
They are push fit. if you look t this link you will see what I mean.

You may find them hard to pull out and the heads may break in which case you just push the remaining part into the door space, they won't do any harm being plastic.

To order the correct size you will need to measure diameter of the head and the diameter of the body part, the length will not be that important. There will be a choice on colours, probable only black, white or cream to match whatever trim you are putting on.

Deleted User
I have just looked at your photo in OP and it seems the fir tree fastenings may be under the current trim where the raised bits are but in any case not a problem, just means all the new fastenings may have to be on view. It will be interesting to know if the door voids are insulated.
Not sure what the black button is but it could just be another fir tree type fitting.

OP
OP
uzsnowdrop
Jan 1, 2017
eastbourne
Funster No
MH
van conversion, Peug
Exp
4 years
I peeked in and saw rockwool very thickly packed, having read the forum threads on this I’m thinking of replacing it , the big black button releases the door to open out to 180 degrees, I cant work out how that is fixed through the door though. ...

OP
OP
uzsnowdrop
Jan 1, 2017
eastbourne
Funster No
MH
van conversion, Peug
Exp
4 years
The slider side door is similar, has anyone seen one of those carpet lined or is that not advisable ?

Deleted User
I peeked in and saw rockwool very thickly packed, having read the forum threads on this I’m thinking of replacing it , the big black button releases the door to open out to 180 degrees, I cant work out how that is fixed through the door though. ...
Don't know about that van but it may be just a push fit so may spring off quite easily. It certainly worth taking advice about the insulation, some recommend loft insulation but made with recycled plastic.

Deleted User
The slider side door is similar, has anyone seen one of those carpet lined or is that not advisable ?
I have the top half of my sliding door lined with veltrim lining and sprayed with scotchguard to reduce the chance of it getting wet and absorbing smells when cooking. I lined the bottom half with 3mm wallboard with a plastic trim round the outside to finish it off.

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
When you remove the rear door trim panel with the tools u have ordered the black door release button will come off with it. At least it did on mine.
As u know it's just a push button that releases the spring loaded door restraint it's not attached to the retainer.
I have heard aluminium thermal bubble wrap in several layers is good for the doors. It's what I am going to use when I get around to it.

Deleted User
On another thread about sliding doors there is mention of adding a pull handle on the inside of the door to assist closing. When you remove the door card it will be worth putting in a block of wood at a suitable point to give you a good anchor point to fit the handle rather than just relying upon a self tapper. You need to decide on a suitable place for the handle, mine is approx 2/3rds from the front edge of the door. I used one of these and mounted so that it swivels.
<Broken link removed>

OP
OP
uzsnowdrop
Jan 1, 2017
eastbourne
Funster No
MH
van conversion, Peug
Exp
4 years
Thats a fabulous idea....thanks for taking time to let me know, I wouldnt have thought...

OP
OP
uzsnowdrop
Jan 1, 2017
eastbourne
Funster No
MH
van conversion, Peug
Exp
4 years
I have the top half of my sliding door lined with veltrim lining and sprayed with scotchguard to reduce the chance of it getting wet and absorbing smells when cooking. I lined the bottom half with 3mm wallboard with a plastic trim round the outside to finish it off.
Any chance of a photo, sounds good

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
Never try to pop plastic when it’s cold. Always warm it with a hairdryer first.
<Broken link removed>

Last edited:
OP
OP
uzsnowdrop
Jan 1, 2017
eastbourne
Funster No
MH
van conversion, Peug
Exp
4 years
Thanks that looks very smart did you carpet in the door jamb or would that effect it shutting?

Deleted User
With the sliding door shut I glued tiling trim to the door to 'frame' the panel and then glued thin ply and eventually carpet lined it. Using tiling trim and getting round the corner curves was not easy, took quite a bit of time and patience. There may be others who can suggest a better way of doing it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back