How do I get a drop arm mirror out (1 Viewer)

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
We have a the coach type drop arm wing mirrors on the van and the drivers side casing has started to wobble a bit, whilst cleaning the mirror noticed 2 loose screws behind the bottom mirror, these have presumably come out of their holes and that is why the casing is wobbling.

Does anybody know how to get the mirrors out of the casings? Images below, advice please

IMG_20170819_170316.jpg IMG_20170819_164355.jpg

Last edited:

Mr B

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 1, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065ff Design Edit
Exp
Since 2015.......
Use a long screwdriver and position the mirror so you can tighten said screws.
On our A class, the two screws are internal at the top. I've undone ours and removed the casing to tighten the whole arm up. Then replaced ok. Top tip, have wife/friend/lover etc stood below the mirror to catch said casing :)

OP
OP
Neilfg
Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I'll have a look but I do not think I can get a screwdriver in there:(. I think you pop the mirrors out and there is a way to do it:), hopefully other than just pulling hard or pretending to be a scottish logging lorry racing round Loch Lomond:eek:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
If you adjust your mirror all the way to the left you will see this tab,it needs to be pushed upwards if my memory is correct! great fun getting all the tabs back in when refitting :mad: if you ever need any parts Carlyle bus and truck, as I found out when I needed a new mirror glass £55 (y)

image.jpeg

OP
OP
Neilfg
Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
If you adjust your mirror all the way to the left you will see this tab,it needs to be pushed upwards if my memory is correct! great fun getting all the tabs back in when refitting :mad: if you ever need any parts Carlyle bus and truck, as I found out when I needed a new mirror glass £55 (y)
Brilliant, mirror unit just popped off after lifting the arm, applied a little bit of grease around the fitting so should go back on easily. One screw back in place, alot firmer (less wobble) the other fixing post has a crack and will not grip the screw, some thought required. Picture of the arm with the mirror removed.:D2

IMG_20170821_180821.jpg

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Make sure the plastic is warm, a hairdryer will work. This will help the plastic taps bend a bit. You could also check there are no ridges or snags, clean them off with a sharp knife if necessary.
The suggestion for lubrication is a good one.

OP
OP
Neilfg
Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Would something like Araldite work to strengthen the fixing post and hold the screw in place, have a clamp that will hold it for a while to set? Any suggestions gatefully received :)

OP
OP
Neilfg
Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
To answer my own question and in case anybody needs a possible fix, thought I would update this thread with final conclusions. SMC (dealer) rang me back day after and explained about how to remove the mirror, Funsters beat them by about 24 hours (y). Asked them about the cracked fixing post and Araldite fix, they could not see why it would not work as long as given time to go off, so duly implemented and seems quite a solid fix. Only a couple of trips will tell though.

Note: there are more part numbers inside the casing.

Finally the mirror went back on really easily mostly in part to the use of some grease, it's really simple when you know how :D

IMG_20170822_162603.jpg

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years
Neilfg

I am in same position. Thanks to this thread the large mirror is out. 3 of the 4 posts that hold the shell to the frame are no longer attatched to the shell. Did your araldite repair work ok?
Another thought was to make a paste from acetone and abs shavings to glue them back on.

Any other suggestions ? The material is abs.

To remove mirror housing from van I have cut the 5 core cable as plugs will not thread through the hole cable comes through. Plenty of spare cable coiled inside mirror to remake connection.

Oct 8, 2009
Kent
Funster No
MH
Sunlight
Exp
32 years
I have the same mirror, one housing is slightly loose on the arm, on a long trip it can rotate slightly.

I tried tightening via the large Allen key bolt at the top, but this causes the body to rotate and holding it steady does not seem the answer. If I remove the glass is there something inside the body to grip to help tighten onto the bolt?

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
There is a metal chassis inside the casing. The casing has a hole that the bolt goes through and the thread it tightens on is in the chassis. Although the case is located by the bolt , the case is fixed to the chassis by 4 self tappers that go into moulded studs on inside of the case. The studs break free from the casing after a few impacts......
If you remove the large adjustable mirror it all becomes clear, see earlier post in this thread.

Attachments

• IMG_20190621_092109.jpg
    IMG_20190621_092109.jpg
    205.9 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_20190621_092055.jpg
    IMG_20190621_092055.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 69
OP
OP
Neilfg
Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Neilfg

I am in same position. Thanks to this thread the large mirror is out. 3 of the 4 posts that hold the shell to the frame are no longer attatched to the shell. Did your araldite repair work ok?
Another thought was to make a paste from acetone and abs shavings to glue them back on.

Any other suggestions ? The material is abs.

To remove mirror housing from van I have cut the 5 core cable as plugs will not thread through the hole cable comes through. Plenty of spare cable coiled inside mirror to remake connection.

The araldite worked very well once it had gone off, never moved again. We changed van about 11 months later.

But the screws were definitely fixed in place. At the time considered repairing posts then refixing but it would never had had the strength so screws and posts all fixed in place.

Oct 8, 2009
Kent
Funster No
MH
Sunlight
Exp
32 years
There is a metal chassis inside the casing. The casing has a hole that the bolt goes through and the thread it tightens on is in the chassis. Although the case is located by the bolt , the case is fixed to the chassis by 4 self tappers that go into moulded studs on inside of the case. The studs break free from the casing after a few impacts......
If you remove the large adjustable mirror it all becomes clear, see earlier post in this thread.
So since there is no nut inside the chassis to hold onto, I would not seem to gain anything by removing the mirror glass.

That seems to indicate that the adjustment must be made by holding the mirrow body and tightening the bolt from above. However, I have tried reasonable force and some lube but I can't get it to move and it would be expensive if I were to break it.

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
So the allen bolt will only move with the mirror housing, but does not tighten to stop rotation of mirror housing. Perhaps the allen bolt is seized in the chassis of mirror housing. If so unable to tighten or loosen, just able to rotate with housing.
If so removing big mirror glass will enable penetrating fluid onto bolt, also you can grip the chassis while removing allen bolt.
As you say a tad expensive if it goes wrong.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back