How do I dismantle the kitchen tap? (1 Viewer)

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
The kitchen tap in the motorhome is leaking when the hot water is running - I'm hoping it's just a case of replacing the O ring and maybe a bit of copper paste but how do I get the thing apart please? I don't want to do terminal damage.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
The kitchen tap in the motorhome is leaking when the hot water is running - I'm hoping it's just a case of replacing the O ring and maybe a bit of copper paste but how do I get the thing apart please? I don't want to do terminal damage.
What sort of tap?

Sep 17, 2020
Totton
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 745
Exp
Since Sept 2020.
Photos please, topside and under the sink.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
1633197893885.png
if it is one of these here is a big plastic nut on the bottom but you will have to disconnect the tails also , be careful if the ta is getting on they are fragile

OP
OP
Puddleduck

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
View attachment 543839 if it is one of these here is a big plastic nut on the bottom but you will have to disconnect the tails also , be careful if the ta is getting on they are fragile
Yes, that's it.

I don't think I can get to the bottom of it as it's behind the sink and there is no way I can see to get to it without taking out the hob, the worktop and the sink :(

I was hoping there was a way to get the spout bit off without taking the tap out as it's leaking from where the spray arm swivels.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Yes, that's it.

I don't think I can get to the bottom of it as it's behind the sink and there is no way I can see to get to it without taking out the hob, the worktop and the sink :(

I was hoping there was a way to get the spout bit off without taking the tap out as it's leaking from where the spray arm swivels.
I just replace the house tap when it goes wrong, they aren't too dear and even if you can repair it, it might not last very long.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
We took the sink out (notice I say we, I had a lot of help from fab Funsters ) trouble was the tap was so old something else perished on it so bought a new one in the end and fitted that, no problems now 🤞🤞

But I did have to use 2 jubilee clips on each tail fitting as the power of the pump was too much for the push fitting

this was the cheapest I could find and they are going up quite quickly

OP
OP
Puddleduck

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
We took the sink out (notice I say we, I had a lot of help from fab Funsters ) trouble was the tap was so old something else perished on it so bought a new one in the end and fitted that, no problems now 🤞🤞

this was the cheapest I could find and they are going up quite quickly

Taking the sink out isn't really an option as we'd have to dismantle the whole kitchen and something would definitely get broken in the process.

I think I will have to live with it, putting an absorbent cloth under the leak unless LSX would work.

Probably just a washer :(

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
1633257094105.png

my sink is similar to this (no my van)

OP
OP
Puddleduck

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
The sink is fitted under the work bench :(

OP
OP
Puddleduck

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Sorry I can't get a photo of underneath - it's all sealed in so just a sheet of aluminium (?) which is under the bottom of the sink and above the top of the top drawer. I assume to stop anything from the top drawer getting stuck behind the sink and jamming the drawer.
101_0073.jpg

.Sorry I haven't got round to cleaning the sink after our last trip - a job for tomorrow!

You can see the sink is fitted under the workbench - the grey moulded trim seals the worktop over the sink and also provides a rest for a cover. To remove the worktop I'd also have to remove the hob and that just isn't going to happen.

Last edited:

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
put your phone underneath and take a photo you may find that there are little clamps holding the sink to the top and the seal fits over it , Getting the sink back in was not an easy job on mine. is there a cupboard user the sink?

I used the mobile phone torch (really bright and small) and my old Dads shaving mirror to see what was going on and how it was fitted

then took it all apart and shouted for help from Funsters when I could not put it back together 🆘

OP
OP
Puddleduck

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
I tried to take a photo but the guard just throws back the light if I use the flash and it's too dark without :( I've also tried to have a look underneath using a torch and mirror but it's just a solid piece of metal sheet as far as I can see and not the bottom of the sink as the guard goes all the way across the unit side to side and as far back as I can see - certianly bigger than the sink. I can't see how that is fastened in at all so think it must have been built bottom up and the fasteners can only be got at from above.

There are a set of drawers under the sink which are on retaining clips and I don't want to take them out as I've already broken a drawer at the back of the van by trying to do that :( The drawers don't tilt at an angle and lift out and the clips that retain them don't appear to have a none destructive way of getting them off.

Ideally I just want to take the long swivel part off the tap to replace any seal there is (that's where the leak is) and not take the tap out at all. I was hoping it would be an easy twist off or even a tiny grub screw to take it off but looks like it's not.

If I can't get the tap apart I will leave it well alone as taking the sink out is a massive job which I am unwilling to even attempt given the family situation. I'd hate to take it all apart and then have to dash off because of the next parental crisis and have no kitchen when I am away.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
I tried to take a photo but the guard just throws back the light if I use the flash and it's too dark without :( I've also tried to have a look underneath using a torch and mirror but it's just a solid piece of metal sheet as far as I can see and not the bottom of the sink as the guard goes all the way across the unit side to side and as far back as I can see - certianly bigger than the sink. I can't see how that is fastened in at all so think it must have been built bottom up and the fasteners can only be got at from above.

There are a set of drawers under the sink which are on retaining clips and I don't want to take them out as I've already broken a drawer at the back of the van by trying to do that :( The drawers don't tilt at an angle and lift out and the clips that retain them don't appear to have a none destructive way of getting them off.

Ideally I just want to take the long swivel part off the tap to replace any seal there is (that's where the leak is) and not take the tap out at all. I was hoping it would be an easy twist off or even a tiny grub screw to take it off but looks like it's not.

If I can't get the tap apart I will leave it well alone as taking the sink out is a massive job which I am unwilling to even attempt given the family situation. I'd hate to take it all apart and then have to dash off because of the next parental crisis and have no kitchen when I am away.
I fully understand I had a weekend away with the sink no fully sealed and used the washing up bowl but the tap worked :giggle: it seems to me that what seems to be straightforward in vans is never as you think :(

OP
OP
Puddleduck

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Found this on You Tube

thanks to ShiftZZ and Robert Clark here:

So when I can be bothered I'll see what I can do. Raining hard today so might have a look this afternoon - or maybe not! I'm still doing laundry after being at the parents :( Next job probably starting the ironing so I can put stuff away in their boxes.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Found this on You Tube

thanks to ShiftZZ and Robert Clark here:

So when I can be bothered I'll see what I can do. Raining hard today so might have a look this afternoon - or maybe not! I'm still doing laundry after being at the parents :( Next job probably starting the ironing so I can put stuff away in their boxes.

my fittings for the taps are permanent :(

OP
OP
Puddleduck

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Mine may also be but as most of the fittings appear to be Reich it's worth checking to see if it will come apart.

I just don't see why they would have made it impossible to do basic maintenance without dismantling the kitchen. Anyway worth a look and I won't force anything.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Theres another thread on here with a video of how to take the casette out of the tap it was on the thread title is" leaking tap"

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Sorry I can't get a photo of underneath - it's all sealed in so just a sheet of aluminium (?) which is under the bottom of the sink and above the top of the top drawer. I assume to stop anything from the top drawer getting stuck behind the sink and jamming the drawer.View attachment 544095
.Sorry I haven't got round to cleaning the sink after our last trip - a job for tomorrow!

You can see the sink is fitted under the workbench - the grey moulded trim seals the worktop over the sink and also provides a rest for a cover. To remove the worktop I'd also have to remove the hob and that just isn't going to happen.
if it’s leaking from the joint you arrowed , the spout tend to split on the mould line. You can but new spout or you could try pulling the spout off and putting some sealant around the spigot and refitting.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
I have a spout on the old tap

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I'm pretty sure that the joint which you show as leaking is to enable fitting the tap with a choice of long or short reach spouts dependent upon the distance from the tap to the sink. In which case I'd say it has a seal between the two pieces, probably a recessed 'O' ring. Can't help with how to separate them but if it's leaking the spout is unlikely to be permanently fixed to the main part.

OP
OP
Puddleduck

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Just let a duckling loose in it as per your avatar. It will soon clean it up. :)

Thats a quackers idea

Have you seen what happens when a duck swims round and round? Cleanliness is far from reality!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back