How do I compress a photograph to send via email?? (2 Viewers)

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Can anyone tell me how I can compress a photograph to send by web based email?

My zip and winrar want to send it to Outlook express, which I don't use when we are in Spain.

On a further technical point, how do I attach a link to Motorhome fun, either from youtube or an email attachment??

Any help greatfully appreciated.

Ginny

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
40 yrs and still not got a release date
Hi Ginny

If your photograph is a jpeg its very hard to compress it anymore but you could try right clicking on it and then go to send to and compress. Best way is to make it smaller by reduce the quality in a photo editing program.

To link copy the url of the link. The in your MHfun message type something like click hre and then highlight it by putting you mouse over the first letter, pressing the left mouse button and then drag over th ewords, which will turn blue. The click on the icon of the world with the chain in front, the icon is just above the message boc. Remove the http that is there by default and then paste the link you copied at th estart. Submit your message and the link should be there.

I have assumed you are pc based

stew

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi Teasy.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Most digital camerasnow have anywhere from 3 to 8 megapixels resolution. That's millions of pixels, with file size averaging around 3,000,000 pixels. these files are really a bit to big to email.

[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] If you email this 3MP image to your friend, chances are: 1) your email provider will not send such a large file; 2) your friend's email provider will not accept such a large file; 3) your friend has dial-up access to the Internet, and will sit in front of his or her computer, fuming inside at whoever sent this large attachment:Eeek:[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]If you intend to email pictures to friends, you need to first reduce the size of your original image to a size that is more reasonable for both sending and receiving. There are a number of ways you can do this[/FONT].[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Some digital cameras already have an email function that makes a copy of a picture you have taken and that is still on the memory card, and then reduces it to a much smaller size, does yours have this? (read the manual:Smile:) Or you could use one of the many free or cheap image editors that are out there.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]If you use Windows XP ITS EASY (and probably Vista but I dont use it)you can get the PC to resize the pictures for you before you email.
[/FONT]
Here's How:
  1. Open My Computer and navigate to the folder containing the pictures you wish to email.
  2. In the toolbar at the top of My Computer, make sure Search and Folders are not selected so you can see the tasks panel to the left of the files list.
  3. Select the group of files that you wish to email. Use Shift or Ctrl to select additional files.
  4. In the tasks panel, click on E-mail the selected items under File and Folder Tasks. The Send Pictures by E-Mail dialog box will appear.
  5. Select Make all my pictures smaller.
  6. Click Show more options...
  7. Choose a size for your pictures. The small option is suitable for most puposes and will give you the best reduction in file size. If you know your recipient has a fast Internet connection you may want to choose Medium or Large.
  8. Click OK.
  9. A status bar appears as Windows resizes the files, then a new message is opened in your default mail program with your pictures attached.
  10. Windows inserts the file names into the subject field of the message. You will probably want to change this.
  11. Fill in the recipients email address, add a personal message, and you're ready to send.
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Have fun::bigsmile:
[/FONT]

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
Hi Again

I was just thinking. The other way is to open an free account with photobucket.com. You would then upload your photo to there and simply copy the email link and paste it into your email. This means that if you want to email the photo to lots of people you are only actually uploading the pic once.

This is the way I put photos onto forums now. As a fulltimer I do not have broadband, just 3g. All I do is upload the photo to bucket and then copy the ing code by clicking on it. I then paste this into the message as I have done below

stew

jess-and-the-times-2.jpg

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Not "zipping" but I use CS3 to reduce the size to what I want then "save for web and devices" to reduce it to the kb's I want. I can then e mail them or post them. ::bigsmile:

This photo was 17.2 MB and is now 73.1 KB

Attachments

• armchair.jpg
    armchair.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
OP
OP
Teasy2007

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Hi Teasy.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Most digital camerasnow have anywhere from 3 to 8 megapixels resolution. That's millions of pixels, with file size averaging around 3,000,000 pixels. these files are really a bit to big to email.

[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] If you email this 3MP image to your friend, chances are: 1) your email provider will not send such a large file; 2) your friend's email provider will not accept such a large file; 3) your friend has dial-up access to the Internet, and will sit in front of his or her computer, fuming inside at whoever sent this large attachment:Eeek:[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]If you intend to email pictures to friends, you need to first reduce the size of your original image to a size that is more reasonable for both sending and receiving. There are a number of ways you can do this[/FONT].[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Some digital cameras already have an email function that makes a copy of a picture you have taken and that is still on the memory card, and then reduces it to a much smaller size, does yours have this? (read the manual:Smile:) Or you could use one of the many free or cheap image editors that are out there.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]If you use Windows XP ITS EASY (and probably Vista but I dont use it)you can get the PC to resize the pictures for you before you email.
[/FONT]
Here's How:
  1. Open My Computer and navigate to the folder containing the pictures you wish to email.
  2. In the toolbar at the top of My Computer, make sure Search and Folders are not selected so you can see the tasks panel to the left of the files list.
  3. Select the group of files that you wish to email. Use Shift or Ctrl to select additional files.
  4. In the tasks panel, click on E-mail the selected items under File and Folder Tasks. The Send Pictures by E-Mail dialog box will appear.
  5. Select Make all my pictures smaller.
  6. Click Show more options...
  7. Choose a size for your pictures. The small option is suitable for most puposes and will give you the best reduction in file size. If you know your recipient has a fast Internet connection you may want to choose Medium or Large.
  8. Click OK.
  9. A status bar appears as Windows resizes the files, then a new message is opened in your default mail program with your pictures attached.

I was ok up to this point, but outlook express will not let me send emails, only receive them - dont know why, something about properties.

My outlook express is set to my old provider, I have moved to Sky and have yahoo as web based email, so I guess that's why I am having such difficulty.

Ginny

OP
OP
Teasy2007

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Hi Again

I was just thinking. The other way is to open an free account with photobucket.com. You would then upload your photo to there and simply copy the email link and paste it into your email. This means that if you want to email the photo to lots of people you are only actually uploading the pic once.

This is the way I put photos onto forums now. As a fulltimer I do not have broadband, just 3g. All I do is upload the photo to bucket and then copy the ing code by clicking on it. I then paste this into the message as I have done below

I LOVE PHOTOBUCKET!!!!

It has taken all night to upload the photographs, but it is then so easy to click on all the people you want to email and away they go!!

I am really impressed, thanks for the advice Stew.

Ginny

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
Hi Ginny

No problem. I love it too. Its just so easy :Smile::Smile:

stew

T

TJ-RV

Deleted User
If you're using Windows XP, download the free Image Resizer from Windows Power Tools. Then, all you need do is right-click on an image and you'll have the option to resize it and save the smaller file.

Vista provides the ability to email photos and, when you choose the email option, you're presented with the option to resize the image. Can't recall the details; Vista is on my wife's PC at home.

Personally, I just use my favourite image editing software to resize.

I've not used it, but many folks swear by the free IrfanView.

Last edited by a moderator:

playbyte

xMember
May 4, 2008
Kirton-in-Lindsey
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Another trick is to sign up for a google mail account and use that to send it as their system automatically reduces the size for you.
If you are using piccasa2 then you can send pics direct to email accounts as well without the need to faff about with them.
A word of warning, dont send lots of pics to your friends in the same email (break them up into lots of emails) if they only have dialup as the pics will not only slow the process down but until your friend has completed the download no other emails can go through to them.
Playbyte

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back