How do I change APN on a Mifi??? (1 Viewer)

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Hi All,

I knew I should have saved myself hassle and bought a 3 Mifi but idiot me, I bought a Vodaphone.
Change the APN? The seller told me it was simple to do??? and I have a set of instructions that would be best described as Swahili for beginners.

This is what is says;
APN CHANGES IF R206/7 DOES NOT AUTO DETECT

Connect to MIFI.???? (What does this actually mean?) It may go automatically to Vodafone page
If not type 192.168.1.1 in address/url bar and go/enter

First problem. My browser (Chrome)won't accept this in the address bar.

Continuing;

On the Vodafone page use the password Admin top right
Goto Mobile Connection
Goto Connection.......
And so it goes on

I'm sure that if I could get over the first hurdle ie getting onto the Vodfones page I'd be almost there but can anyone assist me.

As usual (too usual) Thanks in advance

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
To get to the 192.168.1.1 page turn on the mifi and then go to your WiFi settings on your tablet or whatever and connect to the mifi for which you will need a password, on mine this is written inside the mifi battery cover.

You should then be able to log in to the 192 page, which you can only do when both devices are on the same WiFi network.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Connect to MIFI.???? (What does this actually mean?)

Get your computer to turn on it's WiFi and scan for hot spots, one of which will be the MiFi if it's working OK. Tell your computer to connect to MiFi which will need a password which should be written on the MiFi or in the instructions.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Thanks for that Brian,

I've just assumed that I could change the APN as a stand alone task (I'm not techie in the least).
Now that I appreciate that the Sim card has to be activated to do it then it's a lot clearer.
PS I'll be back when, after activating the thing, I still can't do it!!!

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
There was quite a long thread about this around December , but can't seem to find it now.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Are you trying to change it from Vodafone to another network? If so, is it unlocked? Which is probably a bit more techno-babble but a local phone shop may be able to do it for you if you don't want to do it yourself, it will cost something, but it shouldn't be too much.

And good luck, some folk have had problems with Vodaphone mifis as they only seem to want to speak Vodaphone.

Jun 11, 2011
Somerset
Funster No
MH
hymer s820
Exp
Are you trying to use the mifi with a Vodafone data sim, if so, then use the usb connection that came with the mifi and attach to laptop. The mifi will be set up on your laptop automatically, then the Vodafone network will take you to their page. You don't need to be on wifi to do this. A Vodafone icon will be arrive on your desktop. This is the gateway to entering your settings if you are going to use a different data sim, then you need to have the R207 unlocked, 99p for the code on ebay, easy to do if you know how.

OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Thanks for that. It was sold as Unlocked but we will have to wait and see.

And no, Hymer, I wasn't trying to use the mifi with a Voda sim (or any other kind of sim.

Further to that, I wouldn't be able to connect the Mifi to the laptop because we have a tablet and there's no USB connection point, (not for the one they supplied.
This techno stuff has a learning curve like the north face of the Eiger, and almost as difficult to scale. However, I'm a lot closer to understanding this subject than I was an hour ago. (but that's not saying much)

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Further to that, I wouldn't be able to connect the Mifi to the laptop because we have a tablet and there's no USB connection point, (not for the one they supplied

OK - WiFi, USB. Both very similar. They both use wireless radio to connect together. But, approx, one speaks English the other German. MiFi is the clue it uses WiFi. WiFi has no real meaning, it is thought the idea was from HiFi but wireless so WiFi.

So a WiFi hotspot ( your MiFi as in MY WiFi ) usually transmits a name for all to see, you need to see this on your tablet then you can ask it to connect by supplying the password ( or key ). At a meet I usually see "Billsmifi" "Voda23456" "CampRipOff1" and I can choose one.

OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Let me make a confession.
I didn't know when I asked the initial question that the Sim card had to be operational or even in the device (Mifi) for me to perform the function of 'Changing the APN'.

I do now of course, (he says with very misplaced false modesty)

Being a tightfisted Tyke and because I don't want to have to go into month three of the contract during our intended trip I am going to wait until Monday before I prostrate myself in front of the Gods that are the 3 Callcentre team to ask them, very nicely of course to switch the bl**dy Sim Card 'On'

Like Arny, there the similarity ends, "I'll be back"

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
the 3 Callcentre team to ask them, very nicely of course to switch the bl**dy Sim Card 'On'
Do it yourself on 3's website.
You need to register the SIM card and if you want to top up online you need to set up an account AND register a debit/credit card as well.

OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Thanks Pappa,

I will do that but I seem to recall that someone on here went to France with a Mifi and didn't get any signal because their instructions weren't shall we say, state of the art.
I don't want that to happen to me.
I will register online but I'll ring them for confirmation.

Otherwise the Mifi may be an expensive paperweight for our journey.

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
How big is the data sim ?
If its a preloaded sim : 1/2/3/12/gb I have never registered them the moment you go online for first use ,the clock starts ticking : 3gb or 90 days whatever comes first .( bought a few on eBay when price was around £8 each) ,just make sure when you access your mifi settings you tick the data roaming box for it to work over the water .
:)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Despite what their website says I couldn't register a card on the 3 website. I had to call them. There is a page on their website where you can enter details of a card but it didn't do anything. Also, the 3 website is a bit flaky and is often closed for "maintenance" in my experience.

OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Thanks for the above two comments.

I 'nearly' put in one of my previous comments that I thought it was you,' DBK' that had had the problems.
It's bad enough trying to set up one of these things when you have knowledge of the subject.
It takes on a whole new meaning when you are an numpty.
The whole of the tech. area is littered with assumptions that you have the ability to do it from a standing start.

Reactions: DBK

madgeD

Free Member
Aug 17, 2014
Cleveland
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
since 2005
Im still new to mine so it might be a case of the blind leading the blind :ROFLMAO:

You do need a data sim I bought a Vodaphone sim in Germany as I was advised it would be better doing it that way and cheaper if that is where you are using it. You then log in using Admin Admin (well mine was that) then the password that is printed on the inside , then you need to put the pin number that is given to you by the sim provider. I tried to change the password as it says you can do that also the user name !!

I had more trouble once Id changed the password, so my advise is DONT
Ive been into Vodaphone just this morning for another PAYG sim as they only last 30 days ! I didnt take my mifi in with me so she told me to come back with it as it might be locked in with Vodaphone Germany .

I was using my RESET button all the time to get on when it wasnt recognizing my details.
Good Luck to you and ME as I know Im going to have problems again!! my B.I.L who has the same thing said the girl in the shop sorted his for him! so I think most of us have trouble at first.

OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Update on this saga.
This morning I activated the Sim (Listen to me talking techno. I'll be calling myself an expert. NOT LIKELY!!!)

Anyway, the bloke at the other end said give it between 2-4hrs for the number to be active.
I've just switched the Mifi on and surprise, surprise!!! following the instructions sold to me with the mifi I've changed the APN (whatever that is) to 3internet and I find that we are up and running. The beauty works!!!
Now to find a foreign field across the water and find that I can't get it running.
Any advice DBK?

Reactions: DBK

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Don't forget to tick the data when roaming box for use abroad it should then auto leech on to other nets :)

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Ah when you have it wifi'd to your pc you should then be able to go into your mifi settings 192.168.1.1 password admin admin have you got that far ?
Once open you then should see settings and somewhere a box ? Tick it then that's it done .

Sorry about edits predictor texts

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Update on this saga.
This morning I activated the Sim (Listen to me talking techno. I'll be calling myself an expert. NOT LIKELY!!!)

Anyway, the bloke at the other end said give it between 2-4hrs for the number to be active.
I've just switched the Mifi on and surprise, surprise!!! following the instructions sold to me with the mifi I've changed the APN (whatever that is) to 3internet and I find that we are up and running. The beauty works!!!
Now to find a foreign field across the water and find that I can't get it running.
Any advice DBK?
I think a PAYG Three sim is set up for roaming by default.
Though what I did with mine was put it in an unlocked mobile phone and in the settings menu ticked the mobile data box.

You may be able to do this with the sim in the mifi but if I access the mifi setup page 192.etc I don't see the full menu pages when using a 7" tablet. It defaults to a mobile version and many options I can see when accessing it at home on a PC are missing. I haven't found a way of seeing these menus when using the tablet.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
I've just switched the Mifi on and surprise, surprise!!! following the instructions sold to me with the mifi I've changed the APN (whatever that is) to 3internet and I find that we are up and running.
Should you be interested (I'm geussing not):
APN = Access Point Name

It is simply the unique name that a provider uses for connections to their 3/4G mobile data networks.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back