How do I aim headlights on an Arto (1 Viewer)

Catrina Hamilton

Free Member
May 29, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
MH
Arto Niesman
Exp
I am a newbie
Hi guys I have just bought an Arto Neisman Bischoff
My question is does anybody know how to change the headlights for continental driving that is to say aim of the headlights to the left or right

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
There will be adjustment screws on the back of the units.

Getting at them to adjust them however is the biggest pain in the arse imaginable.

I think the Arto is similar to most other A classes in that you access them by removing the wheel arch liners. You then need to be able to bend your arm in about 14 direction to reach the units.

A better idea is to not worry too much about it. I've never bothered adjusting mine.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi Catrina

You will have a 90mm hella unit I think, you need to take out the screw showing at the top of this image and loosen the others to turn the unit to the other position, access is the issue though and I am not sure how easy it is on the Arto and it might depend on age and model, on our Flair they are simple to get at as we have an external surround that covers the mounting screws and that is just held on with two wing nuts.
lighting-hella-90mm-classic-headlamp-h7-dipped-beam-1ll008193-117.jpg

Martin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Do what we do with our Arto - don't drive at night:D And I cannot be bothered changing them back to UK for MOT.:(

Although in Poland one has to have lights on at all times, but the beam direction does not notice in the day nor dazzles anyone.

Geoff

Oct 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Do what we do with our Arto - don't drive at night:D And I cannot be bothered changing them back to UK for MOT.:(

Although in Poland one has to have lights on at all times, but the beam direction does not notice in the day nor dazzles anyone.

Geoff

P.S Martin is correct, assuming it is the same unit, but he left out ne detail - after you have slightly rotated the unit the screw you took out at the top will go back into a different hole, which will confirm you have the correct new position.

The job on the Arto would be easier with a ratchet, socket and a screwdriver bit. Plus a mirror.

OP
OP
Catrina Hamilton

Catrina Hamilton

Free Member
May 29, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
MH
Arto Niesman
Exp
I am a newbie
Thank you everybody for replying,
Using these pointers
I'm going to have a crack at it this afternoon :)

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
P.S Martin is correct, assuming it is the same unit, but he left out ne detail - after you have slightly rotated the unit the screw you took out at the top will go back into a different hole, which will confirm you have the correct new position.

The job on the Arto would be easier with a ratchet, socket and a screwdriver bit. Plus a mirror.
Or back in the same hole through the other hole(y) thanks Geoff, why the didn't make the Arto like the Flair with decent access I dont know? I suppose they had to be different to warrant the price difference:LOL:

I now leave ours set for UK to pass the MOT, and if I do put them on over the water I wind the level right down on the switch inside, I used to change them every trip and then realised I never drove in the dark and thought why bother.

Martin

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
>> How do I aim headlights on an Arto

First pick your AK47 with normal sights, telescopic are too slow.

Get a nice comfortable prone position on the far side of the road.

Get a bead on the first headlamp at about 200m then by 150m pop it. The vehicle will slow now. Time to get a bead on the second headlamp and by 50m it will be easy.

Oct 12, 2013
Filey
Funster No
MH
N and B Flair
Exp
Since 2014
I agree don't drive at night, but do you think all the cars from abroad on our roads have changed their lights ? !!

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
You get to them from under the bonnet. Stubby posidrive takes a few minutes once you re used to it.

I leave them both facing inwards and only change the one back for the MOT.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I agree don't drive at night, but do you think all the cars from abroad on our roads have changed their lights ? !!

What happens during the day if they have to be used i.e. when it is raining?
& ours just go up & down , don't dip to the right which is why I don't have to change mine for the UK.(y)

Oct 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I think that newer models have dipping that is just vertical, neither left nor right. Presumably C+U regs have changed.

I doubt whether many police are interested, as they have not got equipment to check - other than saying they thought they were wrong.

I seem to remember headlights in France had to be yellow/amber and UK cars used to fit coloured film over them. What happened to that rule? How long ago was it?

Geoff

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
I seem to remember headlights in France had to be yellow/amber and UK cars used to fit coloured film over them. What happened to that rule? How long ago was it?
A very long time ago Geoff. :D
I still remember painting the glass yellow with something a bit like nail varnish. Used petrol to clean it off after the trip I think.
Think I had a Ford Corsair at the time so would have been around 1970'ish.
Gawd, I feel old. :(:(

Richard.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back