MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
…your MH

I’m a newbie
I’ve not even spent one night in a MH.
Last time I “camped” I think Baden-Powell was still head of the scouts
[not quite true but my last night under canvas was in Africa, which was “full service”, en-suite tents, running water and uniformed waiters bring the G&T on tap]
…but it is my retirement dream. Freedom of the road, places to explore etc etc.

I’m doing my homework, trying to ensure my first MH is the right MH.
I know my budget, I know my layout, and I even know that it has to be under a certain length to fit on my drive… I’d prefer new, but used would be acceptable
But my shortlist is still too long :cry:.
Within my criteria I can still choose between PVC, Coachbuilt & A Class [used].

The trouble is never been MH’ing,

I don’t know what I need, or what I don’t.
I know a couple of ‘must haves’ but as for the rest… I have no particular preference for brand or base vehicle or anything else for that matter.

What actually is important?
Two or three ring burner on the cooker, do I care? I don’t think so
90litre or 100litre water tank, does it matter?
Thetford 200, 250 or 400 whatever loo – is that a deal breaker, surely all serve the same function?

Trouble is, it’s all still theory, all on paper.
I’ve been to a couple of shows, stepped in a few vans, seen many I’d not want, but many I’d love…
I’m too easily seduced by the salesman’s patter, oh the space of an A Class, a PVC has almost the convenience of a car, the new slimline coachbuilts equals all the benefits… blah blah.

So how do you decide?
A test drive is not going to tell you anything very much – unless they let you overnight in it?
A drawer in the wrong place, or the shower pressure might annoy the hell out of you – but you’re not going to know that until you’ve bought the damn thing! Do I decide on the size of the fridge?

…and MH dealerships are hardly thick on the ground, for choice, general browsing or for playing one off against another…
Another handicap is that I’m not really “car” orientated – I bought my last one off the internet via a comparison site!

Before I jump in – I intend to rent a couple for a few days, just to make sure I don’t actually hate the reality… but how to narrow down that shortlist to just one or two models that one can go hunt for & search out the right deal ?????

Addendum...
The sort of thing I'm looking at:
Chausson Flash... 04, 10 but even the 08 is not dismissed!
Globecar PVC, a bit pricey but I haven't dismissed the budget Tribute 669
Latest fad - the new Elddis Accordo 125 (or it's variants), all the advantages (?) of a coachbuilt but with the compactness of a PVC!
...and then there was this old Hymer B564 which caught my eye...

:shout:

OP
OP
Langtoftlad

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Whatever you get, bet it gives you some great times.
Baz:thumb::thumb:
I'm sure it will ::bigsmile:

Based on my original notion - a couple of years back, and thanks to the advice on here (not just this thread), I'm definitely leaning towards a Chausson Flash 04 (or very similar)... but this time used...
Judging by online adverts, I should be able to get one for under 30k which allows me toys to be fitted... if they're not already (eg solar, reversing camera, awning, gaslow...)
PLUS
It seems that this model is available to rent - so that's perfect

PLUS (and this is huge!)
Keeping to an under 30k pricetag will allow me to semi-retire later this year... and so start my MH adventure a year sooner than expected... :thumb:.

Excellent.

Upvote 0
Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
Some really good advice in this thread - almost worthy of being a sticky.

You haven't said (unless I missed it) how tall you are. If you are over 6ft & not keen on sleeping in the foetal position, you can rule out at least half the market for a start. The very reasonable requirement for a 500kg payload will remove a lot more.

Strange as it may seem, as has been hinted at elsewhere, if you want to use the van in the UK between November & March, you can eliminate a good proportion of UK converted vans. They are just not designed for winter use.

Layout is important, but even more so is why you want a particular layout. Keep that in mind as you look at different vans - more than one layout may meet the original reason you thought you wanted whatever you are looking for now.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
1. Layout - which covers a whole range of things but for me priorities were fixed bed and good shower room (with 'proper' shower not one of those wet rooms). Plus boring but important practicalities (depending on your own individual needs) such as:
a) Where is the boiler? Is its location likely to provide even heating throughout the van? Or are there some long duct runs from which little heat is ever likely to emerge?
b) Where are the leisure batteries? Can I get to at least one of them easily to clip things onto the terminals eg tyre compressor?
c) My pet crusade - is the fridge properly draught-proofed? Ask the salesman to demonstrate that it is - or refuse to buy the van until it's made so.

2. Payload - ascertain this before you buy the van. If you ever want to wild camp you will need to be able to drive with a full water tank. I know of some vans where you have to dump most of the water before you can legally drive off because the payload is that pathetic. :RollEyes:

3. Winterisation - if you want to use the van in a UK winter then full winterisation is a good idea, ie tanks and pipework all inside the van (usually within a double floor) not dangling underneath. UK manufacturers struggle with this concept - German and French seem to do it as a matter of course.

HTH :Smile:

For me, the above has it.

Be careful what you want to add or carry, it all affects payload. You may want a 2nd leisure battery if your spending a lot of time in it. If your considering off the beaten track then you may need solar panel(s) or a generator. Personally, with our layout a generator was not chosen because of the likely petrol smell and carrying petrol when we do not have lockers that are segregated from inside by more than the upholstery.

I would agree about avoiding a true over cab bed if you can, but ensure the bed you choose is long enough, there are some quite short ones out their. Avoiding thi big lump on the roof will also aid mpg considerably.

My experience of buying new is you will spend the first 12 months returning to the dealer, and if you are not as fussy as SWMBO, then there are some very good low mileage vehicles about where most faults have been fixed.

So, if I had satisfied myself about all the above I would be looking at build quality, and then the comfort of the driving position. Strangely, the big six cylinder engines seem to give just as good mpg as the smaller ones, but run a lot quieter when cruising, though I have to say I am happy enough with our fiat-it is, after all, a van, so its going to be noisier than a car.

Whatever you decide, best wishes, I hope your hire goes well. Jim has created a list of dealers in the forum,and many of us have rated them, so that may give you a few pointers especially about where not to buy.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back