DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I love you, as you have just solved the mystery for me. The damage can only be seen if one is a midget, or if you look up from underneath - at least that is solved and I can contact the insurers again. Many thanks.
This is another option but one of those metal plates behind the sliding and rear door handles would be useful. However, we fitted these for use when we are sleeping in the van because we (me!) have been known to forget to lock the doors before going to bed. http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/milenco-cab-door-deadlocks.114749/

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
deadlocks will keep the doors closed but will not stop a would be thief damaging your door. As I have suggested before, fitting stainless steel plates behind the cab door handles will stop them gaining access and if experienced they will see that that sort of attack will be futile when they spot the plate

the weakest point though will always be the plastic windows in the habitation area. fit a decent alarm with extra flashing LEDs that can be seen from outside. If a would be thief thinks you have a working alarm system and maybe other security measures, they will move on to an easier target. These scumbags are cowards and dont want confrontation or to be caught

Jamwitt

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 18, 2012
Chandlersford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
4yrs
Another vote for strike back growler from Eddie vanbitz (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deleted User
Followed teensvan advice went with the wire. Oft to B and Q, length of plastic covered wire with 2 strops, sturdy padlock for under £20, go on old farts day and £2 cheaper. Find it in security, safe padlocks etc.
Works like a dream, and the bit about over the steering wheel sounding the horn,is a treat. No drilling etc, rolls up and fits a box between the seats.
***** recommendation

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
We have a couple of cargo straps from Lidl. Cost around £3.

Deleted User
I imagine a long knife / machete could do the straps in, unless you're going to say that you tighten them so hard, they mark the arm rests. Also a slight chance of over exertion, could put too much strain on the securing arm screws.
I think with the wire, I can also use to padlock the bikes with. But no system is infalible. Otherwise there would be no 'Mission Impossible' LOL
Actually I am quite in favour of the Napoleonic War trick to disable horses, that is to put some very sharp stars next to the doors. Straight through a trainer and a big toe, now that's crime prevention. But also tantamount to assault. Could write and put a sticker on the window in several languages as a cop out.

As a retired ancient william, went to the same house for burglary 3 times, in about 2 weeks. On the 3rd time all that was stolen was the pot of jam, the margarine and the bread. Everything else had been taken previously, including the plumbing and the light fittings. But chummy was hoping that gear would have been replaced. To nick it all again.

An opportunist thief is a rarity, usually the amateur first timers. Our thieves, know the market, the risks, and certainly stay away from well lit areas with cameras. Same as a car park, stay away from others, park under any light, preferably near the entrance or exit.Thieves hate witnesses, more than plod.

On a different tack, at some of the shows, I would love to see crime prevention officers give a demo or a lecture. Rather than rely on the sales tent, whose priority is more about selling.
So rally marshall and rally organisers, how about some seminars; Crime Prevention, Insurance Agents, Legal Eagles.
Knowledge is power, ignorance is having the lottery as a pension plan.
Ian or RandC mines a Rum and Coke

Reactions: CWH

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
As a cheap alternative to beat those lock pickers, could I suggest what we have done and posted on another thread ie.
"We have drilled through the lip of the door cover where the 'pop up button' emerges. The hole then goes through the button slightly offset to avoid the metal centre. Through this hole we insert a rivet (unused).
The result is that the key (or the scrotes equipment) cannot open the door as the 'pop up' is held down."

PeteS

Free Member
Sep 12, 2016
Tunbridge wells
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
35yrs
To the OP Two ways thieves use to get in are, pushing a small thin screw driver through the door skin just under the handle. Worth having a look, I missed it when my car was broken into. The other way is they put a coin under the handle so when you lock it that door doesn't lock and the alarm wont set.

Hope you got it sorted with the insurance co

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
I think you will find that the insurers cannot simply force you to prove the validity of your claim, it is for them to disprove it..

You will find case no 114/13 at this link from the Ombudsman very useful http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/publications/ombudsman-news/114/issue114.pdf

The Ombudsman is quite clear on this, it is for the insurers to prove there was no forced entry, not for you to have to do so

From the Ombudsman's report issue 114 December 2013

We accepted that no damage had been done when the intruder had entered and left Mr J’s flat. However, we decided that that by opening Mr J’s window further than he himself had opened it, the intruder had used a degree of force to enter Mr J’s property.

Taking everything into account, we decided that the insurer had not acted fairly in the circumstances of this case. We told them to reconsider Mr J’s claim – and to pay him £50 to make up for the inconvenience it had caused him.

Last edited:

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Deadlocks are what I recommend to prevent this. I really hope you can fight your insurance company successfully.

This is the ones I used. But you may need the newer model ones.

Broken Link Removed
@Gromett i know this is an old post , but i also have fitted these deadlocks and just wondered what you have done to secure your windows or are you in a PVC as apposed to a MH with like caravan windows.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
@Gromett i know this is an old post , but i also have fitted these deadlocks and just wondered what you have done to secure your windows or are you in a PVC as apposed to a MH with like caravan windows.

I am in a PVC with a bulk head between the living and cab area. The windows were chosen to be either too small to climb through or too high/awkward.

Big advantage when building your own, you can design with security in mind.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back